The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Studying at Sutton Bonington campus but living in University Park?

Hi, I'll be taking a course that is taught at SB but because I dislike how isolated and far away it is from the city, I am considering staying at University Park and commuting for lectures. I don't mind the 30 minute commute. I was wondering if anyone has done the same and if this is advisable?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'll be taking a course that is taught at SB but because I dislike how isolated and far away it is from the city, I am considering staying at University Park and commuting for lectures. I don't mind the 30 minute commute. I was wondering if anyone has done the same and if this is advisable?

It depends a little bit on the course you're doing, as a few of the modules take place on UP, more so in later years. I personally only had one module at UP in first year, but the majority of my second year modules were on UP and the commute isn't awful. I've known people commute into SB and they've been much happier being in Nottingham and traveling in to lectures than they were living on SB.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Ive no experience of this personally, I know a couple of being who did this tho.
I know some people dont really mind it, others do.

I think it sounds worse then it is, once you've gotten in to the routine of it. If you plan on using a hopper bus id just make sure you plan accommodation relatively close to the SB bus stop.

There are some benefits, and that is it forces you to get up and get on being productive every day.

Hey! I was thinking of doing that also! What course r u doing? I'm not sure where to stay either! Staying at SB would be good cause then you can walk to classes but then your far from the city. Do you know how far it is from the city? I thought as a fresher we would be going into the city a lot but because of corona and no freshers week and I don't think clubs are gonna be open so we might not be going into the city as much. Also being at SB you would be with the people in your course. Have u spoken to anyone else studying at SB about accom?
Original post by Xellah
It depends a little bit on the course you're doing, as a few of the modules take place on UP, more so in later years. I personally only had one module at UP in first year, but the majority of my second year modules were on UP and the commute isn't awful. I've known people commute into SB and they've been much happier being in Nottingham and traveling in to lectures than they were living on SB.

Hi! Did you study at SB, what course? Do you know how it is living at SB and how far it is from the city? Is there a supermarket close by?
Reply 5
Hi! Did you study at SB, what course? Do you know how it is living at SB and how far it is from the city? Is there a supermarket close by?

Hey there!

I'm a mature student, so I wasn't too bothered about the city side of things, and being able to roll out of bed 10 minutes before a lecture was great! I studied Plant Science, but about 80% of the first year modules are shared by first years.

The closest supermarkets are in Loughborough, about 5 miles, which if you have a car is simple enough. Before lockdown there was an hourly bus into Loughborough which, if you have a student mango card, is reasonably priced. Hopefully they'll put the bus back on before September!! Otherwise there's a medium-sized Co op in Kegworth, which is on the hopper bus route mornings, evenings and weekends, or about a half hour walk.

Nottingham on the other hand, is about 8 miles or so. The hopper bus will take you to Clifton South Park and Ride tram stop in about 15 minutes, and then about another 20 minutes to get into Nottingham city. I forget which, but one of the taxi companies has a special rate for trips to SB, about £20 I believe, which if shared out is kinda negligible.

Sorry for the text wall... But I hope some of this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending