The Student Room Group

What jobs can you go into with physics, art and maths?

as above...
Original post by Kate_01
as above...

Hi Kate! My name is Beth and I work for SAE. You could become a videogame designer - your understanding of physics would be really useful for creating game assets and your art skills would definitely come in handy when it comes to creating environments or characters. If you wanted to go down a more technical route you could study Games Programming which is quite maths heavy, but if you prefer the artistic side then you could study Game Art Animation. Do you have a preference for going in a more technical or more artistic direction?
Reply 2
Original post by BethKirkbride
Hi Kate! My name is Beth and I work for SAE. You could become a videogame designer - your understanding of physics would be really useful for creating game assets and your art skills would definitely come in handy when it comes to creating environments or characters. If you wanted to go down a more technical route you could study Games Programming which is quite maths heavy, but if you prefer the artistic side then you could study Game Art Animation. Do you have a preference for going in a more technical or more artistic direction?

I don't really have a preference but it sounds like I would go for the more technical side. At the moment I'm just trying to open up options as to what jobs might be available for me
My friend is doing those exact options because they want to go into architecture, is this something that you would like?
Original post by Kate_01
I don't really have a preference but it sounds like I would go for the more technical side. At the moment I'm just trying to open up options as to what jobs might be available for me

There's lots of other jobs out there, but games programming is definitely a valid option. Here is a video that explains a bit more about what sort of things a programmer does:

Are you currently deciding on a university course, is that why you are asking about jobs?
Reply 5
Original post by Emily~3695
My friend is doing those exact options because they want to go into architecture, is this something that you would like?

Its definitely an option. It is somethings I'm looking into but its a very long and competitive path. People have also told me that the salary isn't very good
Reply 6
Original post by BethKirkbride
There's lots of other jobs out there, but games programming is definitely a valid option. Here is a video that explains a bit more about what sort of things a programmer does:

Are you currently deciding on a university course, is that why you are asking about jobs?

Thanks! The job looks really interesting and I'm trying to see what courses i could possible do
Original post by Kate_01
Thanks! The job looks really interesting and I'm trying to see what courses i could possible do

It's definitely a very futureproof job, as the games industry is going from strength to strength, despite the current situation with coronavirus. I see from the post above you're also considering architecture - you can use animation skills to create visualisations of buildings and objects with a special technique called photogrammetry. One of our students recreated the interior of a church for her dissertation project using this - you can check it out here: https://www.sae.edu/gbr/sae-oxford-animation-student-katy-lewis-speaks-us-about-her-majestic-major-project

So even though you study a degree with 'game' in the title, it doesn't mean you have to work on games. You could also go on to work in marketing or advertising, there are a lot of options available to you and having a combination of STEM skills from Physics and Maths as well as art proficiency puts you in a really good place to be able to choose a subject that's right for you. Were there any jobs you were thinking of when making this post?
Reply 8
Thankyou so much for this! It was really helpful. The only job that kept coming up was architecture but I wasn’t sure I wanted to do that. I’m considering looking into this now! Thanks
Reply 9
Original post by Kate_01
Thankyou so much for this! It was really helpful. The only job that kept coming up was architecture but I wasn’t sure I wanted to do that. I’m considering looking into this now! Thanks

Be careful to who replies to you :biggrin: "Official Reps" are just sales people. It's better to ignore them.
Before you sign your soul to a questionable institution like the SAE you might want to try the actual game design by yourself.
Google Unity3d and Unreal Engine. These two game engines cover the absolute majority of the market. Both are free-ish with lots of tutorials and free assets, Give it a go, if you happen to like it, they both have large UK communities that will help you with you next step.
Reply 10
Thanks! I’ll definitely try these. I didn’t know about the “official reps” people...
Original post by Mojmeer
Be careful to who replies to you :biggrin: "Official Reps" are just sales people. It's better to ignore them.
Before you sign your soul to a questionable institution like the SAE you might want to try the actual game design by yourself.
Google Unity3d and Unreal Engine. These two game engines cover the absolute majority of the market. Both are free-ish with lots of tutorials and free assets, Give it a go, if you happen to like it, they both have large UK communities that will help you with you next step.

We would definitely agree that it's a great idea to have a go yourself using free online resources before committing to a degree course - SAE has lots of free events, workshops and masterclasses for this very reason. It means you can get a feel for what you'd be learning and hear from industry speakers without having to spend any money. We're not a 'questionable institution', we are an international creative media education provider. While I represent SAE as an official rep, I'm very passionate about the amazing creative media degree courses we offer and would never seek to force someone to pursue a subject they weren't passionate about. Best of luck with whatever you decide!

Quick Reply

Latest