Voxdei
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
All of these caring and sharing unis that have been telling me to find a school I like to train, ha ha - it turns out that if there's a split between PGCE and QTS, you don't get a bursary. Oh - also don't bother to have four uni degrees, because that pathetic little scrap of toilet paper that passes for a "vocational" qualification has more value for the so-called trainers.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Voxdei)
All of these caring and sharing unis that have been telling me to find a school I like to train, ha ha - it turns out that if there's a split between PGCE and QTS, you don't get a bursary. Oh - also don't bother to have four uni degrees, because that pathetic little scrap of toilet paper that passes for a "vocational" qualification has more value for these ******s (the so-called trainers).
I hope, with that attitude and lack of research, that you are not now going into teaching.

Four degrees does not make you a good potential teacher ...
bluebeetle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
All of these caring and sharing unis that have been telling me to find a school I like to train, ha ha - it turns out that if there's a split between PGCE and QTS, you don't get a bursary. Oh - also don't bother to have four uni degrees, because that pathetic little scrap of toilet paper that passes for a "vocational" qualification has more value for these ******s (the so-called trainers).
Not sure exactly what you mean here. I got QTS without a PGCE and was eligible for the bursary.

Or are you referring to getting a PGCE without a QTS? In which case, it makes perfect sense that you’d not receive a bursary, as you won’t be eligible to work in most state schools.
GabiAbi84
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wow!
bluebeetle
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Was this information only made public after you did your research? Or is it possible that you just missed it during your research? In which case it seems more an issue with your research skills...

The fact of the matter is that there's a lot of information online regarding the most typical and popular routes into teaching. Most people do not become a teacher with the sole goal of becoming a private school teacher and an abject hatred for the very notion of teaching in a regular school.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Lack of research it's because of things like this, that surface AFTER I have done research (incidentally I agree with you this is not research but the usual thing of ITT people concealing information) that put me off entirely.

Go, throw away 10k - and then be used as slave labour in a sin bin in the Inner City.
Great attitude ...

So what 'scheme' did you opt for?
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Could someone explain what the “split between pgce and QTS” means please?
Get into Teaching
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by GabiAbi84)
Hi GabiAbi84

When you undergo a teacher training course that awards both Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and a Post Graduate Certificate in Education, (PGCE) you will spend the majority of the time doing the vocational style training to collate evidence of meeting the QTS standards. This is at least 2/3 of a teacher training course. The remaining 3rd of the course would be spent researching pedagogy, behaviour management theories, subject knowledge, aspects of SEND teaching, etc, and writing your PGCE assignments, of which there are usually about 4. The academic study is blended around the vocational training though, and so with many providers, it's not always clear where or how this 'split' exists. It's utterly vital to know your providers well before considering applying to them, so you'd understand the way that they deliver their own course.

If you are thinking about getting into teaching in the main-stream school setting, then we'd be delighted to support you. The service is free and delivered by impartial (to teacher training course providers), qualified and experienced teachers. Register here if you'd like this help!

All the best, Jane
bluebeetle
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I suspect the original poster is talking about a course like this: https://www.buckingham.ac.uk/educati...ndependentpgce

Somebody completing such a course would gain a PGCE (the academic qualification) but not QTS (qualified teacher status). This sort of course is aimed at somebody who already works in a private school, but wants to have a PGCE.
Voxdei
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Great attitude ...

So what 'scheme' did you opt for?
The scheme that allows me to avoid this:

Bursary: 26k

Deduct the PGCE of 9250 (no, I shan't take a loan EVER considering it is yet another exploitative scam).

That leaves you 16750 to live on (no claimable expenses)

That's 349 quid a week, assuming a 35 hour week (which I am told is not how it works, as you are meant to work and study 24/7) that's 9.97 pounds an hour.

BTW, according to the DfE stats, there is still a shortfall of languages teachers of at least 800 (they always use the figures from previous years, so we shall see what they will publish in Jan 2021)

So much for what the DfE and their article writers call "bursary tourism".(comment aimed at people who train and then either never teach or switch to the maligned private sector).

As far as I am concerned, the worse part of lock-down has been finding out how awful all of these ITT schemes are. And yet when one goes to the Language Show they are all falling over themselves to sign people on as trainees for languages.

So dishonest.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago

Deduct the PGCE of 9250 (no, I shan't take a loan EVER considering it is yet another exploitative scam).

That's 349 quid a week, assuming a 35 hour week (which I am told is not how it works, as you are meant to work and study 24/7) that's 9.97 pounds an hour.

BTW, according to the DfE stats, there is still a shortfall of languages teachers of at least 800 (they always use the figures from previous years, so we shall see what they will publish in Jan 2021)
A proper PGCE with QTS is a training course where you learn to be a teacher. It's YOUR choice not to take the loan - PGCE courses only use good schools. [Unless you are talking about Teach First which no serving teacher would recommend]

There is nothing dishonest about it - you are learning - an unqualified teacher is never paid the same as a trained one. Being paid £10 an hour to learn sounds pretty good to me, a bit like an apprenticeship.

You could just go an work in a Private school and not bother to be trained but COVID has hit some of them hard and there have been closures.
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago

So much for what the DfE and their article writers call "bursary tourism".(comment aimed at people who train and then either never teach or switch to the maligned private sector).

As far as I am concerned, the worse part of lock-down has been finding out how awful all of these ITT schemes are. And yet when one goes to the Language Show they are all falling over themselves to sign people on as trainees for languages.

So dishonest.

I doubt you will get this reply as TSR is busy censoring what I write - which in itself is not so terrible, but they might also be censoring people who might have sth useful to say to ME and I shall never find out.
I really don’t know what you’re complaining about/you’re getting paid to train/qualify... instead of the other way about and you’re complaining it isn’t enough money?
Your four degrees won’t help you if teaching is what you want to do.
To have more money for the year take a loan for the PGCE instead of considering it an “exploitative scam” -instead see it for what it actually is, a way of letting people have the means to get the qualifications they wish to obtain.

I fail to see where the dishonesty in any of this is. 🙄
Voxdei
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I really don’t know what you’re complaining about/you’re getting paid to train/qualify... instead of the other way about and you’re complaining it isn’t enough money?
Your four degrees won’t help you if teaching is what you want to do.
To have more money for the year take a loan for the PGCE instead of considering it an “exploitative scam” -instead see it for what it actually is, a way of letting people have the means to get the qualifications they wish to obtain.

I fail to see where the dishonesty in any of this is. 🙄
You lot really live in another planet.

I really like to know about this "training" - it looks to me much more like being thrown to the lions (on a good day).

So far, by the shambles of the application process (reaching the nadir of losing my documents via email for one provider) seems to me evidence enough that nobody gives a damn.

The ridiculous requirements of IELTS while holding a British passport and living and working here for 40 years is RACIST and this will surely be erased by the lot that runs this.

I am researching passports (because of our beloved Brexit will also block our working in Europe).

You don't even need to speak the language of a specific country I am applying for - via blood ties. And yet this country to train to do what I am already doing privately - tutoring - these idiots ask for an IELTS test.

And you call this training - to be in the hands of people like this, who btw if one has to travel to the north, one has also to pay for accommodation.

Oh yes - you get a bursary all right. You lot have no idea of what a proper bursary is - sure as hell is not this.
GabiAbi84
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
1) tutoring is not the same as teaching. Hence the need to gain QUALIFICATIONS to be allowed to teach.
2) ensuring that a teacher’s English is if an acceptable level to enable them to teach the curriculum is standard (and pretty damn important)
3) training- “the action of teaching a person a particular skill” so yes, training to become a teacher. No amount of degrees gives you this if they’re not for education. And being a private tutor doesn’t prove you have the ability or the to do so in a school setting or up to standards.
4) bursary: a sum of money given to allow them to study at a university or college. Just because you think it’s “pennies” doesn’t mean it’s not a bursary. It also allows many people the opportunity to train when they may not otherwise be able to.
5) nothing of what you have said speaks to any so called “dishonesty”

If you don’t like it, don’t apply for it. No ones making you. But if you want QTS and PGCE this is how it works.
Voxdei
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
1) tutoring is not the same as teaching. Hence the need to gain QUALIFICATIONS to be allowed to teach.
2) ensuring that a teacher’s English is if an acceptable level to enable them to teach the curriculum is standard (and pretty damn important)
3) training- “the action of teaching a person a particular skill” so yes, training to become a teacher. No amount of degrees gives you this if they’re not for education. And being a private tutor doesn’t prove you have the ability or the to do so in a school setting or up to standards.
4) bursary: a sum of money given to allow them to study at a university or college. Just because you think it’s “pennies” doesn’t mean it’s not a bursary. It also allows many people the opportunity to train when they may not otherwise be able to.
5) nothing of what you have said speaks to any so called “dishonesty”

If you don’t like it, don’t apply for it. No ones making you. But if you want QTS and PGCE this is how it works.
I think there are two things happening in this list (or whatever name you choose to give it)

a. The people who concur or have had similar experiences to me, are being like me "post declined". I cannot believe that I am the only one voicing these problems. Either that, or people are too naive or shall we say, a bit too willing to believe that the system is set in stone (can you imagine when they become teachers, the hatred and resentment they must have against the system, if this is the way the system treats applicants).

b. The solution is NOT not to apply. Why can't you lot see that.

I am tutoring and very successfully, - and now from today, Teach First will be contacting tutoring agencies to start off their programme for tutors to do what we have always done, ie, do what teachers ought to have taught in the classroom or via zoom. I really wonder what they do in class. I don't blame them, most of these state schools are only State creches for working parents - to park their brood until they get home from work. Or until the children decide to come home from the chicken shop.

c. After swallowing stupid pills for four months, I am now in the process of needing "real" translations for a consulate. Their pages, and people, go out of their way to provide links to translators, and also to inform the public that they can translate it themselves and have it legally validated via their municipal authorities. Instead of which, these recalcitrant "computer says no" ITT people demand a translated copy of documents, not even allowing for one's own translation (funny - in MFL !) and providing no list of official translators. Yes, in MFL.

Reveillez-vous !!!!
Last edited by Voxdei; 2 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed