persephione
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice on doing a PGCE alongside the School's Direct programme. I definitely want a PGCE because I want the opportunity to work abroad but I am wary about the work load of doing it alongside the School Direct programme.

Would someone who has done it be able to advise? Is it best to do it now or wait till the following year when you are a NQT? How did you cope with the workload?

Thanks for reading!
Advertisement
Get into Teaching
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by persephione)
Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice on doing a PGCE alongside the School's Direct programme. I definitely want a PGCE because I want the opportunity to work abroad but I am wary about the work load of doing it alongside the School Direct programme.

Would someone who has done it be able to advise? Is it best to do it now or wait till the following year when you are a NQT? How did you cope with the workload?

Thanks for reading!
Hello persephione

Generally the PGCE aspect of your teacher training would be integrated into your teacher training, and so it's not something to necessarily worth putting off into your NQT year. I know that some of the school-led courses last longer (in to June or July) than those run by a university, and so the workload of the QTS/teaching side of things may seem heavier, and your colleagues on a university led course may have a bit more time to do the academic side of the course.

Have a discussion with your course provider to see how they work with the university that will accredit your PGCE. This should help you to decide if you'd like to get the PGCE or not - it's not compulsory that you have the PGCE.

If you haven't yet gotten a place on a teacher training course, register here for free help and support in going so!

All the best, Jane
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by persephione)
Hi everyone,

Thanks for reading!
In your NQT year, you really need to fully focus on teaching- it's much better to try for your PGCE during your training year. If you find the workload too tricky, you can always drop the PGCE element, but I wouldn't advise putting it off!
Advertisement
Claudette
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Many of the courses have the PGCE element included, and tbh it’s not too much work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise