Best Second Car to Upgrade to

Watch
alexb2571
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am a 19 year old who is currently doing an apprenticeship and has been saving for the last 2 years. I currently have a 1.2L Vauxhall Corsa from 2010 which has done me very well with only 58,000 miles on the car! I drive a minimum of 50 miles a day so thought a diesel car is best for me and would like a decent upgrade from what I have currently. My budget is anywhere up to 10k however obviously If a good cheaper car is the better option then I will go for that! What car should I look at getting?
CarMad
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There are so many options and it all depends on what you want.

I'd guess if you're working that far away you want something reliable so perhaps looking for something newer might be a good idea - newer cars also generally have a better MPG. Also, in general going to a main dealer will give you a better warranty on a used car and 10K is enough for a car from a main dealer (depending on the car you want)

It also depends where you work. Lot's of different cities are introducing emission controlled zones and I'm sure there will be more to come. Bristol is also banning Diesels. So if you work in a city, even if it doesn't have a zone yet, I'd keep an eye on the emissions of the car. The general rule for most of these zones is that any car newer than 2015 is okay but it does vary.

Then there's also size of the car you want and desired features.

Also, think ahead, when your apprentiship ends, are you likely to still have a job? Or are they moving to a work from home model like many companies?
161BMW
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
325i Sport (E30).
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by alexb2571)
I am a 19 year old who is currently doing an apprenticeship and has been saving for the last 2 years. I currently have a 1.2L Vauxhall Corsa from 2010 which has done me very well with only 58,000 miles on the car! I drive a minimum of 50 miles a day so thought a diesel car is best for me and would like a decent upgrade from what I have currently. My budget is anywhere up to 10k however obviously If a good cheaper car is the better option then I will go for that! What car should I look at getting?
I wouldn't buy a diesel, as they pollute.

Which aspects of your car are you looking to "upgrade"? Performance, comfort, crash safety, stereo, seats, etc? To put it differently, what don't you like about your current car? Without a pressing need, I'd keep it, and keep saving.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (34)
17.99%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
28.04%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (102)
53.97%

Watched Threads