New PC or Laptop for uni? Watch

Razor_UK
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hey everyone

Im an experienced builder who has about £350 to spend on either a new base unit + monitor or laptop. Browsing both dell outlet and other sites ive found some ok deals but still cant seem to decide if a laptop is needed in and around uni. I was wondering if anyone had any experience and knows if a laptop is more practical/justifiable over a higher spec base unit. Im going to be living out on campus at Brunel which is about a 2 hour train ride from home.

Any input is appreciated coz im split between the two
omicronlyrae
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've finally decided i'm taking my desktop.

I'm not going to need to take my laptop to lectures, i'm taking my monitor and speakers anyway for my PS3 as it is, and the keyboard and mouse for my desktop > laptop keyboard and trackpad
MGT_90
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by olileauk)
I've finally decided i'm taking my desktop.

I'm not going to need to take my laptop to lectures, i'm taking my monitor and speakers anyway for my PS3 as it is, and the keyboard and mouse for my desktop > laptop keyboard and trackpad
What's going to happen to your M1330?
omicronlyrae
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by MGT_90)
What's going to happen to your M1330?
It's staying at home. Means that i can leave my desktop at uni when i come home for holidays and just use my M1330 here. =)
MGT_90
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by olileauk)
It's staying at home. Means that i can leave my desktop at uni when i come home for holidays and just use my M1330 here. =)
Don't tempt me. I've been hoping for an excuse to build myself my dream desktop...

To the OP: if you can, take a desktop.
philosophy_kid
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I thought that a lappy would be better - but to be honest it never left home. So go for the pc man..

peace out x
zoidburg
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Razor_UK)
Hey everyone

Im an experienced builder who has about £350 to spend on either a new base unit + monitor or laptop. Browsing both dell outlet and other sites ive found some ok deals but still cant seem to decide if a laptop is needed in and around uni. I was wondering if anyone had any experience and knows if a laptop is more practical/justifiable over a higher spec base unit. Im going to be living out on campus at Brunel which is about a 2 hour train ride from home.

Any input is appreciated coz im split between the two
I'd suggest a laptop. Assuming you don't play games on a computer then it would be the easiest as you can take it home and to uni on the train and it's great to use for lectures. I'd advise something like a Dell latitude as they are very powerful and are much better built than the inspiron range. XPS's are also good, however, they are expensive so if you don't play games or CAD then you'll be ok with a latitude.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.65%
No (667)
60.69%
Not really bothered about them (227)
20.66%

Watched Threads