How to make friends on move in day?

Watch
Gillzy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
How do I start conversation with the people I’ll be with and should I bring anything to break the tension?
Emilylloyd28
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just walk up to someone and say 'hi'. I don't see what the problem is?
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
"Hi, I'm Gillzy, I'm in room X, do you want any help unpacking/to go get lunch/dinner/a pint/shopping for bits and bobs?"

Alongside other classics like:

"What are you studying?"

"Where are you from?"
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Gillzy)
How do I start conversation with the people I’ll be with and should I bring anything to break the tension?
Don't put too much pressure on yourself to find firm friends straight away - just stay relaxed and open-minded. Asking about their course, background etc. are good starting points, and bringing a tub of chocolates or biscuits is a good conversation starter.
gabostrk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Show interest! It's always nice to start with asking questions but of course don't exaggerate.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
There may well be online groups you can join beforehand so you can get to know people there first.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My tactic was to hand out free beer, within about an hour of moving in there were 15 people sat in the corridor getting drunk because we didn't have common space.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
My tactic was to hand out free beer, within about an hour of moving in there were 15 people sat in the corridor getting drunk because we didn't have common space.
Won’t happen this time due to COVID
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Won’t happen this time due to COVID
You could never socially distance in my halls.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey,

Don't feel pressured to try and do the most and instead just be yourself.
Walking up to people and introducing yourself is one way or If you do see someone lost or needing help to carry things that could be one way to make conversation as you offer help.
Also depending on the situation there might be some ice breaker events so that may become a place to talk to people

Hope this helps
Doreen-maria - Official Student Rep 😀
Aaronkgx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
So, there's a couple of ideas I have for you really.
One thing to point out is, I went from an access course to uni, and a few others went. So there's that -- is anyone else you know going to the course/uni you're at?

Then, there was also groups online that we somehow wound up in on messenger, but there's also groups on FB. Maybe find a FB group 'University of Wherever-you're-going', and throw a post in there? or ask if there's a group chat for such-and-such-a-course...?

Also, in the way of making friends when you're there one idea is to perhaps joke about something with the nearest person to you when sat in a lecture if possible (usually in the lectures at uni I went to, it was just a case of sit wherever there's free seats, so sometimes you'd sit next to someone you didn't know, and we often had things to laugh at in lectures so perhaps strike up a conversation with whoever you end up sitting next to in lectures?)

Most importantly, don't fret too much. You're ultimately there to get a degree! Friends are a bonus, but it is also important to have some kind of social element to enjoy uni a bit more, but meeting people happens! But don't over-worry on it.

We also had tutorials and sessions in small groups occasionally, you meet people through those if you have them as well...

edit/sidenote: just seen other people's points about accommodation, didn't even think of that. if you're going into student accomm. you may make friends through that as well (I commuted through to uni so I completely forgot about that avenue)
Last edited by Aaronkgx; 2 weeks ago
Allyson90
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Give yourself time first to settle in and then you could perhaps knock a few room doors and introduce yourself to the others and say "hi I'm Gilliam from room no xxxx " and ask if they need any help or perhaps have a chat over a cuppa & biscuits, then get chatting about what course they doing etc.
You'll soon make friends and remember you can't make anyone be a friend so if they say no then leave it at that and move on and hopefully later on they will reintroduced themselves to you .
Don't put any pressure on yourself to make friends right away ok and you'll have plenty time for that once the course start .
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
1. Bring a doorstop to prop your room door open while you unpack. Allows you to say hi to anyone that walks by.

2. Show an interest in other people. People love talking about themselves, so ask questions. Even the simplest ones will spark conversation.

3. Realise that everyone is in the same situation. Everyone's crapping themselves over meeting new people. For that reason, no one is unapproachable during the first couple of weeks. Simply having the courage to say hello instantly puts you in top position.

4. Remember that you probably won't find "your people" early on, but getting the feelers out early will increase the probability of finding them sooner.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My move in day I just introduced myself to the people in my corridor in the morning. I ended up just going to a pub nearby at like half 1 to watch the football with a couple people in my flat and then nearby flats (word spread fast quite a few people were keen to come), I ended up eating dinner with this group (we were in catered halls), we all went out clubbing that night and im still mates with many of this group today (and its now been a few years since we graduated).

Initially its quite hectic as everyone arrives at different times, needs to make their room say goodbye & what not.

But just say Hi introduce yourself, you'll all be very friendly at first over time you'll find which people you click with the most. TBH I think meeting people becomes quite organic for most people in the moment.
sarahfonsecax
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Emilylloyd28)
Just walk up to someone and say 'hi'. I don't see what the problem is?
You clearly don't have social anxiety, it may be harder for other people to start a conversation... but saying hi would be a good start
student424
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
There are usually chat groups for people starting at Uni and you can often drill down to the people that are actually going to be in your accommodation or even flat. I'd recommend getting into the accommodation pretty early then you can't but help meet the others that are going to be joining you. Just be yourself, friendly and ask questions about the other people. I think it will just happen naturally as you are all in the same boat.
beyond21
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Just a friendly greet to everyone on the first day, and maybe make a chat group(whatsapp/facebook/discord) in uni halls or people on same course. Then things get a lot easier.
University of Bradford
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey!

I know it can be daunting sometimes to meet new people and try come up with conversation, I personally find it easier when I talk about something I love as my enthusiasm shows - I love chatting about TV shows with people, it can keep the conversation flowing for ages! Societies will be a really good place to meet new people because you'll be surrounded by students with similar interests to make conversation that much easier!

Whenever you see someone just have a huge smile on your face and be super friendly, hopefully someone will start the conversation with you. You can chat about the journey down, how you're feeling about starting university, what course you're studying etc.

Also, your tutours might also introduce ice breaker activities on your course too!

I wish you the very best of luck and hope you meet some great people

Becky
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (124)
24.75%
Better than expected (103)
20.56%
Worse than expected (274)
54.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed