I completed my Apprenticeship, got graded and now it's being revoked.

Watch
IRAPPIDZ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello,

Two years ago I started a BCS Level 3 Infrastructure Technician Apprenticeship with my local college. The requirements stated I needed a 3 in GCSE maths minimum, but I had a 2. This was never talked about and I was never given any courses or anything to achieve this grade.

Now, fast forward to now and I completed this apprenticeship back in late June. I got my grade a week after and everything seemed well.

Then, last week my tutor emailed saying there had been an audit and it was found that my maths grade was not high enough to complete the apprenticeship. Safe to say, this pissed me off a lot as there had been ample opportunities for this to have been rectified.

I was told they would be enrolling me on a Functional Skills Level 2 Maths course which is essentially a GCSE maths grade.

Now, I have already found a new job and I am starting in less than two weeks. I mentioned this to my new employer and they couldn't care less about my apprenticeship as I was told the experience I had was why I was hired.

Is there anything stopping me from just "quitting" ? This seems like really murky waters but I honestly don't care about completing this anymore. The college has been next to useless over these two years and I just want nothing to do with them anymore.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Many employers require GCSE English and Maths, (at a certain grade) you might find in ten years that your dream job, delivering new Ferrari’s to Monte Carlo (for example) is almost signed, then they drop the idea when they find.....

This did happen to a friend, not in anyway as dramatic as yours, a few years ago we visited University of Birmingham on Open Day, thought it was great, and decided to apply via UCAS.

She filled in her UCAS profile at school, chose Birmingham, then did A-levels etc whilst satisfied that everything was going great. I helped her to choose accom at the University of Birmingham, which was the best block & best catering plan etc. However, everything I said, didn’t match with any of the accom details that she was looking at! Weird?

I checked her UCAS and she had firmed the Birmingham City University, not the slightly more famous one. I thought this was an epic fail, but, digging deeper, I noticed that there was no way to choose the University of Birmingham, because she also had a low GCSE Maths grade, and so UCAS had automatically removed most of the UK universities which need this before you start.

Nothing against Birmingham City, but I had to search wider and found around SIX UK uni’s that weren’t worried about Maths. York, Lincoln, Brum City etc
The other ~ HUNDRED uni’s need it! And it’s an auto/computer-says:no situation....

She did great at Lincoln (Clearing/Adjustment) , as you will probably do with your new job - but it would be a good idea to complete your CV with a part-time Maths qualification? To avoid any computer:no situations...

Though one might think that your apprenticeship will have also taught you Maths, and so that effectively gets you a passing situation, apart from those “entry-rules”

Looks like you might be writing a novel one-day on how you solve this! Let us know
Last edited by LuigiMario; 2 weeks ago
IRAPPIDZ
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LuigiMario)
Many employers require GCSE English and Maths, (at a certain grade) you might find in ten years that your dream job, delivering new Ferrari’s to Monte Carlo (for example) is almost signed, then they drop the idea when they find.....

This did happen to a friend, not in anyway as dramatic as yours, a few years ago we visited University of Birmingham on Open Day, thought it was great, and decided to apply via UCAS.

She filled in her UCAS profile at school, chose Birmingham, then did A-levels etc whilst satisfied that everything was going great. I helped her to choose accom at the University of Birmingham, which was the best block & best catering plan etc. However, everything I said, didn’t match with any of the accom details that she was looking at! Weird?

I checked her UCAS and she had firmed the Birmingham City University, not the slightly more famous one. I thought this was an epic fail, but, digging deeper, I noticed that there was no way to choose the University of Birmingham, because she also had a low GCSE Maths grade, and so UCAS had automatically removed most of the UK universities which need this before you start.

Nothing against Birmingham City, but I had to search wider and found around SIX UK uni’s that weren’t worried about Maths. York, Lincoln, Brum City etc
The other ~ HUNDRED uni’s need it! And it’s an auto/computer-says:no situation....

She did great at Lincoln (Clearing/Adjustment) , as you will probably do with your new job - but it would be a good idea to complete your CV with a part-time Maths qualification? To avoid any computer:no situations...

Though one might think that your apprenticeship will have also taught you Maths, and so that effectively gets you a passing situation, apart from those “entry-rules”

Looks like you might be writing a novel one-day on how you solve this! Let us know
Yeah, this whole situation feels like one big minefield. They even admitted I should've been enrolled on this maths course as soon as I started and they have no idea why I wasn't, so that just further adds to my hatred of this college... I'll give it some thought, but i'm heavily leaning on saying "no" at the minute.
KittyKF
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'd 100% get the maths qualification, or find a way to achieve the equivalent alongside working. You're not guaranteed to be in that job forever, there may be future jobs that want an accredited apprenticeship pass, or a gcse in maths- both are going to require you to be qualified. It's not worth a potential lifetime of trouble for a smallish solution.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (179)
58.88%
No they should not (90)
29.61%
Abstain (35)
11.51%

Watched Threads