frankanye
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I have been asked to pick my discursive essay topic for higher. For N5 I done 'is social media to blame for rising suicide rates' I got a 12/15 but for higher I'm looking for something less popular, any ideas?
Advertisement
SchuylerSister22
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by frankanye)
I have been asked to pick my discursive essay topic for higher. For N5 I done 'is social media to blame for rising suicide rates' I got a 12/15 but for higher I'm looking for something less popular, any ideas?
Write about something that you're interested in/ passionate about and find a way to make an argument about it. For example people in my class wrote about motorcycle racing, beauty pageants, zoo's etc.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by frankanye)
You could do something very contemporary and topical (which would mean that you would have access to infinite amounts of relevant sources).

Topics include (but aren't limited to): Covid; no mask hysteria among certain Americans; flat-earthers; North Korea; the Black Lives Matter movement; how valid/effective is online studying (since this has become mainstream due to Covid); rising age for pensions resulting in an older workforce etc.
Last edited by Quick-use; 2 weeks ago
Advertisement
Valeriex
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Some topics off the top of my head:
Funny/ non-serious ones I've heard of someone doing "Sharpay Evans deserved better" so you could do that or something similar with another franchise eg, harry potter- did X character deserve better/ x character was actually the villian.

Another one i think is relevant right now is about deplatforming should it be allowed (reference Katie Hopkins got her entire account deleted of twitter)

Some really popular topics this year is going to be the BLM movement (which if you do maybe try and relate it to Scotland), anything COVID related and the environment, which if you do them you can still get good marks however you run the risk of your marker seeing the same arguments over and over.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Valeriex)
anything COVID related and the environment, which if you do them you can still get good marks however you run the risk of your marker seeing the same arguments over and over.
There's nothing wrong with this since it's an incredibly relevant and contentious topic. Usually, overdone topics (like the death penalty) are best avoided because they lack ingenuity, but an essay on Covid would be more than fine; it'd actually be ideal because it would embody the essence of discursive essay writing. As far as topics like BLM and Covid are concerned, students really shouldn't fear having unoriginal arguments because they're extremely topical, and there is absolutely no way a Higher student will be able to introduce an argument that all other writers and professionals haven't done so already in their daily discussions devoted to such issues.
Last edited by Quick-use; 2 weeks ago
Advertisement
beccamadeleinex
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Best advice is just write something that you have a strong opinion on. Also you can make it sometimes harder for yourself writing an uncommon topic, so bear that in mind.
Vaen
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Right now there are a lot of relevant social issues that you can talk which have a lot of evidence that you can use to back up your argument e.g. toxic masculinity, racism, prejudice, feminism.. The list is endless but I would suggest that you base your essay off of something recent so that all of your facts are up to date. Good luck!
Advertisement
thepunmaster.e
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You’re right for trying to stay away from popular topics, try thinking about things you’re interested in e.g if you do a sport maybe a controversial opinion within that sport?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (163)
24.85%
Better than expected (132)
20.12%
Worse than expected (361)
55.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed