Is it a good idea to tell your boss about your anxiety?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'd say my manager is quite friendly and has a good relationship with all her employees. I've always been an anxious person but it's only recently that my anxiety if affecting me more than ever, my workplace isn't causing me to feel anxious but it's now being affected.
I'm a college student and work once a week, sometimes cover during the week and I feel like some of my actions/behaviour is due to my anxiety but I'm not sure if I should say something
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'd say my manager is quite friendly and has a good relationship with all her employees. I've always been an anxious person but it's only recently that my anxiety if affecting me more than ever, my workplace isn't causing me to feel anxious but it's now being affected.
I'm a college student and work once a week, sometimes cover during the week and I feel like some of my actions/behaviour is due to my anxiety but I'm not sure if I should say something
Yes, you should speak to them. There could be adjustments made to help you. Anything you tell her will be in confidence and will not be spoken about publicly.
carrotstar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As DrawTheLine said above, they may be able to adapt the work slightly to take the pressure off, and it will be confidential. They may also set up meetings to check on you every now and again to see if changes are helping which will make you feel more supported.
Second_Beauty
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Has it been medically confirmed ? Or are you seeing a professional for it ?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
No, wtf?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Yes, you should speak to them. There could be adjustments made to help you. Anything you tell her will be in confidence and will not be spoken about publicly.
(Original post by carrotstar)
As DrawTheLine said above, they may be able to adapt the work slightly to take the pressure off, and it will be confidential. They may also set up meetings to check on you every now and again to see if changes are helping which will make you feel more supported.
Thank you, i've been thinking about saying something for a while now, just not sure how to
Anonymous #1
No, wtf?
why not?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Second_Beauty)
Has it been medically confirmed ? Or are you seeing a professional for it ?
Ive spoken to my doctor about it but not seeing anyone at the moment
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
you should tell her because if anything were to happen at work (let's say you have a panic attack) then she will be able to understand you and you don't have to explain yourself later, know what i'm sayin? also, as it's been said already, if you have a disability your employer has a responsibility to make reasonable adjustments for you. my current employer actually had me fill out a form asking about my GAD and what they could do for me (not saying yours will necessarily but you wouldn't know unless you ask ).
Second_Beauty
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ive spoken to my doctor about it but not seeing anyone at the moment
I’d say it’s risky telling them. By principle, you should because it is affecting your ability to work which the company has things in place for but it hasn’t been medically confirmed so if they asked, you wouldn’t have evidence.

But if you strongly believe the manager is a cool manager and you feel like they won’t get overly business about it then go for it. Personally I wouldn’t because you’re already only working one day out of the week. To them, it may decrease your value as an asset to this business. I struggle with anxiety too but haven’t been medically diagnosed so I know how frustrating it is but I personally wouldn’t say anything if I only work one day a week.
Last edited by Second_Beauty; 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Joleee)
you should tell her because if anything were to happen at work (let's say you have a panic attack) then she will be able to understand you and you don't have to explain yourself later, know what i'm sayin? also, as it's been said already, if you have a disability your employer has a responsibility to make reasonable adjustments for you. my current employer actually had me fill out a form asking about my GAD and what they could do for me (not saying yours will necessarily but you wouldn't know unless you ask ).
Yeah i understand where you're coming from, thanks xx
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Second_Beauty)
I’d say it’s risky telling them. By principle, you should because it is affecting your ability to work which the company has things in place for but it hasn’t been medically confirmed so if they asked, you wouldn’t have evidence.

But if you strongly believe the manager is a cool manager and you feel like they won’t get overly business about it then go for it. Personally I wouldn’t because you’re already only working one day out of the week. To them, it may decrease your value as an asset to this business. I struggle with anxiety too but haven’t been medically diagnosed so I know how frustrating it is but I personally wouldn’t say anything if I only work one day a week.
Okay, thank you
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I wouldn't. My work have no idea about my MH and I like to keep it that way. In this economic climate I definitely, even more than usual, wouldn't tell them. Anxiety is still seen as a weakness and you don't want to give them anything they can use against you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads