100%
Stay in Birmingham (0)
0%
Ryan Xiao
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi I’m a international student from China and studying Math in University of Birmingham and first year finished. I applied transfer to Uni of Edinburgh which has higher reputation especially overseas with high qs ranking. No other specific reasons apart from the reputation and ranking. Now I got a offer with direct entry to the 3rd year. But my mind changed a lot and don’t know if I should leave. Could you guys give me some advice? I’m not sure whether go back to China or not so you may just assume I’ll stay in the UK after graduation. Also most possibly I”ll go for a master so please keep that in mind as well. Much appreciation for your kind help!
urmarjsfav
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would definitely go for Edinburgh simply because of the reputation and it seems that they must really like you to be wanting you to go straight into 3rd year. I also feel like you will have a lot more opportunities even though Birmingham is still very good. It's just a matter of whether you want to skip 2nd year.
Ryan Xiao
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by urmarjsfav)
I would definitely go for Edinburgh simply because of the reputation and it seems that they must really like you to be wanting you to go straight into 3rd year. I also feel like you will have a lot more opportunities even though Birmingham is still very good. It's just a matter of whether you want to skip 2nd year.
Thanks for saying they want me...actually I’m not very top in Birmingham..and Scottish system has four year in undergraduate so I sill need two more years there. So the time doesn’t change. But their third year goes a little bit deeper than Birmingham’s second year. All I concern is the rankings and effort I need to pay for adaptIng myself into the new environment. I’m also worrying about getting a lower grade there since I need to spend time on catching up a little bit and start everting over again...
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Have you asked for advice from your visa team at university? Transfers are often not allowed if they require additional years on your visa. There’s also a limit on years in he on a tier4 visa that could prevent you from taking a masters in the uk.

Get advice from your visa team before deciding
Ryan Xiao
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by PQ)
Have you asked for advice from your visa team at university? Transfers are often not allowed if they require additional years on your visa. There’s also a limit on years in he on a tier4 visa that could prevent you from taking a masters in the uk.

Get advice from your visa team before deciding
I’m going to spend two more years if I choose Edinburgh since I’m accepted into their third year so visa is not a issue.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Ryan Xiao)
I’m going to spend two more years if I choose Edinburgh since I’m accepted into their third year so visa is not a issue.
If you are on a tier 4 visa and change university then you need permission from the home office for that as well as applying for a new tier 4 visa for the new course.

There is a 5 year cap on HE study (undergrad and masters) on tier 4 visas. If you switch to a 4 year course at Edinburgh and use up 4 years of your allowance then make sure that you leave the UK as soon as your course finishes. If you stay in the UK over the summer after your course finishes or repeat a year then you will not have enough time left for a 12 month masters degree.
Last edited by PQ; 5 days ago
Ryan Xiao
Rep:
?
So I need to update my visa if I accept the offer? I will stay in the UK for three years in total to accomplish my undergraduate study, do I need to apply a new visa?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
So I need to update my visa if I accept the offer? I will stay in the UK for three years in total to accomplish my undergraduate study, do I need to apply a new visa?
Yes. Your visa is only valid for your current university. If you move university you have a new sponsor and need a new CAS and visa.
student424
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hi I’m a international student from China and studying Math in University of Birmingham and first year finished. I applied transfer to Uni of Edinburgh which has higher reputation especially overseas with high qs ranking. No other specific reasons apart from the reputation and ranking. Now I got a offer with direct entry to the 3rd year. But my mind changed a lot and don’t know if I should leave. Could you guys give me some advice? I’m not sure whether go back to China or not so you may just assume I’ll stay in the UK after graduation. Also most possibly I”ll go for a master so please keep that in mind as well. Much appreciation for your kind help!
I think you are worrying too much about ranking. Edinburgh has a high QS ranking in part because it has so many internationals.
Ryan Xiao
Rep:
?
(Original post by student424)
I think you are worrying too much about ranking. Edinburgh has a high QS ranking in part because it has so many internationals.
Sounds reasonable. But Birmingham also has high percentage of Chinese students...probably more EU/US students in UoE? And for the Chinese, UoE has more than UoB as well, but not much difference..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (110)
39.01%
Take autumn exams (90)
31.91%
Look for a job (8)
2.84%
Consider an apprenticeship (9)
3.19%
Take a year out (47)
16.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
6.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise