The Student Room Group

Question about deferred entry

Hey!

Hope everyone's doing well :smile:

Just wanted to ask if it's possible to only apply for deferred entry for SOME uni choices, e.g.
Option 1 - Deferred entry
Option 2 - Deferred entry
Option 3 - Normal
Option 4 - Normal
Option 5 - Normal

I know it's possible to specify if you'd like to defer entry or not on UCAS apply for each uni, but wouldn't seem a bit weird for admissions tutors to see you talking about what you plan on doing in your gap year in your personal statement if you haven't applied for deferred entry to their uni?

Thanks in advance
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Kaz_A-Level_2019
Hey!

Hope everyone's doing well :smile:

Just wanted to ask if it's possible to only apply for deferred entry for SOME uni choices, e.g.
Option 1 - Deferred entry
Option 2 - Deferred entry
Option 3 - Normal
Option 4 - Normal
Option 5 - Normal

I know it's possible to specify if you'd like to defer entry or not on UCAS apply for each uni, but wouldn't seem a bit weird for admissions tutors to see you talking about what you plan on doing in your gap year in your personal statement if you haven't applied for deferred entry to their uni?

Thanks in advance

I think it probably would put admissions tutors off to an extent, as they might assume you weren't very committed to their uni. If you're a strong applicant, this might matter less, though.

I think it would be less of a risk not to mention your gap year in the PS- not everyone does and this would be less weird than talking about a gap year the uni doesn't know you're going on!

Is there a reason you're only applying to some deferred choices.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
I think it probably would put admissions tutors off to an extent, as they might assume you weren't very committed to their uni. If you're a strong applicant, this might matter less, though.

I think it would be less of a risk not to mention your gap year in the PS- not everyone does and this would be less weird than talking about a gap year the uni doesn't know you're going on!

Is there a reason you're only applying to some deferred choices.

Hi!

I thought as much. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

The reason why I wanted to defer for some and not others is because some of the courses are 5 years and some are 6 years. I want to be able to take a gap year, but if I get into a course that's 6 years long, I'd rather just start it straight away.
Original post by Kaz_A-Level_2019
Hi!

I thought as much. Thank you for clarifying that for me.

The reason why I wanted to defer for some and not others is because some of the courses are 5 years and some are 6 years. I want to be able to take a gap year, but if I get into a course that's 6 years long, I'd rather just start it straight away.

Ah, right, that makes sense.

I'm assuming now you're talking about something like Vet Med? If so, bear in mind with more competitive courses like this, you don't really want to do anything to reduce your chances of getting in.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Ah, right, that makes sense.

I'm assuming now you're talking about something like Vet Med? If so, bear in mind with more competitive courses like this, you don't really want to do anything to reduce your chances of getting in.

Great! Thank you so much for your help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending