Complex Number transformations Watch

Cataclysm
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Guys, I need a bit of help with complex number graphing and transformations.

Suppose you have a point A with and in form a+bi it is -3+5i. Now let's say you have point B which is a 'transformation' of A and is in the form 5+3i. What has been the transformation.

So far I have figured out that to get from -3+5i to 5+3i you have to multiply A by -i.

Is that sufficient. A transformation by -i? Or do you need to talk about angles. I'm just interested in noting how the exact translation is described because the points do seem to have one about the origin (?)

BTW, I am new to complex transformations and never did Further Maths so I don't understand all the concepts so I would prefer a simplified or a well-explained answer. Thanks!
Cataclysm
Rep:
?
Also, do you guys know any good sites to learn about complex numbers online if you have sufficient A-level Maths knowledge?
thomaskurian89
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cataclysm)
So far I have figured out that to get from -3+5i to 5+3i you have to multiply A by -i.

Is that sufficient. A transformation by -i? Or do you need to talk about angles. I'm just interested in noting how the exact translation is described because the points do seem to have one about the origin (?)
Yes, it is sufficient! Note that when you multiply a complex number by -i, the point shifts clockwise by 90 degrees but the magnitude (distance from the origin) remains the same.
Cataclysm
Rep:
?
(Original post by thomaskurian89)
Yes, it is sufficient! Note that when you multiply a complex number by -i, the point shifts clockwise by 90 degrees but the magnitude (distance from the origin) remains the same.
Thanks! I thought it looked like a right angle transformation as well in my sketch! Thanks mate.
Kolya
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
I think it is most common to talk about transformations in terms of matrices, but if that idea makes no sense yet then what you have written is fine. (It's fine anyway, but just less common.)
thomaskurian89
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Cataclysm)
Thanks! I thought it looked like a right angle transformation as well in my sketch! Thanks mate.
you're welcome!
SimonM
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Bear in mind that this could also be a simple translation as well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Do you like exams?