ktw250304
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I currently have a few weeks until I have to make my final A level choices and I'm really struggling to think of my third option. I'm definitely taking history and maths but am not interested in anything else. I'm at the point of just throwing subjects into a hat and picking one out. Any advice or recommendations?
zacn01
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ktw250304)
I currently have a few weeks until I have to make my final A level choices and I'm really struggling to think of my third option. I'm definitely taking history and maths but am not interested in anything else. I'm at the point of just throwing subjects into a hat and picking one out. Any advice or recommendations?
How about further maths or english?
Geraldthegoat
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
No do a subject that u find the most interesting because if you’re bored of it, u won’t do well in that subject and college is a lot more independent so u need to think about it wisely. Is there a certain job or course u want to do in the future so I can help u pick out suitable subjects.
ktw250304
Rep:
?
(Original post by Geraldthegoat)
No do a subject that u find the most interesting because if you’re bored of it, u won’t do well in that subject and college is a lot more independent so u need to think about it wisely. Is there a certain job or course u want to do in the future so I can help u pick out suitable subjects.
unfortunately as well as a third a level, I have no idea what I want to do after college. My main idea at the moment is to just take a range of subjects which will hopefully give me many options when I actually decide what I want to do.
cherryxberry
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
maybe some sort of science/social science?
Broque_
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not a single other subject has even crossed your mind? What did you enjoy at GCSE. If you didn't enjoy anything else, then you can also pick from the number of subjects you probably didn't encounter at GCSE, such as politics, economics, psychology, sociology, philosophy, law, classical civilisation, history of art, further maths, etc.

While it's important to think about your future, you shouldn't only be driven by "keeping my options open" as that could backfire and stretch you out too much for you to get into any university course. I think any subject you pick would fit nicely with your combination.
Horny4Maths
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I did Maths, History and Further Maths for my a-levels - unsurprisingly I'd recommend Further Maths haha If you're only thinking of doing Maths because you don't mind it then Further Maths might not be the one for you, but if you really are into Maths and you're good at it then you're gonna love it!! Can be challenging but that's not necessarily a bad thing. You cover a much wider range of topics and journey through jungles and rivers of Mathsland you've probably not even heard of before! Also by the time you're a Further Maths wizard the regular Maths becomes a lot easier so it's kind of like doing 2.5 a levels. Also you get to choose some modules which is pretty cool (Decision and Further Stats are good)

I know not all colleges/sixth forms have it as an option though... Maybe learning a language would be a safe bet in that case??? I have no idea haha
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I was in your position too last year - I really wanted to do history and maths but i didnt know what else to pick. Do you have any gcse you like at all? You might like further maths if you like the concept behind maths A level content
ktw250304
Rep:
?
(Original post by Broque_)
Not a single other subject has even crossed your mind? What did you enjoy at GCSE. If you didn't enjoy anything else, then you can also pick from the number of subjects you probably didn't encounter at GCSE, such as politics, economics, psychology, sociology, philosophy, law, classical civilisation, history of art, further maths, etc.

While it's important to think about your future, you shouldn't only be driven by "keeping my options open" as that could backfire and stretch you out too much for you to get into any university course. I think any subject you pick would fit nicely with your combination.
Thanks for the help! Unfortunately the college I'm going to doesn't offer a wider range of subjects like economics or history of art. Otherwise I'm pretty sure I'd take economics.
ktw250304
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
I was in your position too last year - I really wanted to do history and maths but i didnt know what else to pick. Do you have any gcse you like at all? You might like further maths if you like the concept behind maths A level content
I'll definitely look into further maths! What did you end up choosing in the end?
ktw250304
Rep:
?
(Original post by Horny4Maths)
I did Maths, History and Further Maths for my a-levels - unsurprisingly I'd recommend Further Maths haha If you're only thinking of doing Maths because you don't mind it then Further Maths might not be the one for you, but if you really are into Maths and you're good at it then you're gonna love it!! Can be challenging but that's not necessarily a bad thing. You cover a much wider range of topics and journey through jungles and rivers of Mathsland you've probably not even heard of before! Also by the time you're a Further Maths wizard the regular Maths becomes a lot easier so it's kind of like doing 2.5 a levels. Also you get to choose some modules which is pretty cool (Decision and Further Stats are good)

I know not all colleges/sixth forms have it as an option though... Maybe learning a language would be a safe bet in that case??? I have no idea haha
Thank you so much for sharing! I like to think that I'm good at maths but I am most definitely not the best so pretty sure further maths be very challenging for me. Who knows though I might give it a try.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'll definitely look into further maths! What did you end up choosing in the end?
I did Maths, physics and History
Broque_
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks for the help! Unfortunately the college I'm going to doesn't offer a wider range of subjects like economics or history of art. Otherwise I'm pretty sure I'd take economics.
Aw, that's unfortunate Hope you can figure it out :yeah:
Horny4Maths
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you so much for sharing! I like to think that I'm good at maths but I am most definitely not the best so pretty sure further maths be very challenging for me. Who knows though I might give it a try.
I'm sure you could do it. Hope it all works out
gyuigygh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Pairing maths with physics opens you up to pretty much any engineering course (civil, electrical, general, sometimes even biomed)

But if you can pick all 3 that work towards a common goal it might be more motivating. If you want you can ask your skl to let you start with 4 a levels and then you can drop the one you dont like after a week or two.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (118)
25.27%
Better than expected (97)
20.77%
Worse than expected (252)
53.96%

Watched Threads