Imaanx_x
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi

I had my pre op in March and was told I would only have to wait a few weeks till I get a date for my operation. It’s now been 5 months and I still haven’t got a letter or anything. I’ve rang up but I keep getting put through to the wrong departments and I understand there’s corona but it’s been 5 months and I want to be seen before I move out for masters. I was referred to the waiting list department but no one was answering and they number I was given to call cuts straight away!!
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Imaanx_x)
Hi

I had my pre op in March and was told I would only have to wait a few weeks till I get a date for my operation. It’s now been 5 months and I still haven’t got a letter or anything. I’ve rang up but I keep getting put through to the wrong departments and I understand there’s corona but it’s been 5 months and I want to be seen before I move out for masters. I was referred to the waiting list department but no one was answering and they number I was given to call cuts straight away!!
Sorry to hear about your situation.

If it's an elective operation, there is a huge backlog so you may have to wait a while yet.

Do you know the surgeon's name? If so ask to speak to his / her secretary.
Imaanx_x
Rep:
?
I was seen by a dermatologist but I’m unsure of the name of the person sadly I’m worried I’ve been forgotten about lmao
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I was seen by a dermatologist but I’m unsure of the name of the person sadly I’m worried I’ve been forgotten about lmao
Just call the hospital switchboard and ask to speak to the dermatology secretaries.
Appirition
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You won't have been forgotten about. There are literally tens of thousands of people in exactly the same situation.
WHEN they're able to set a date for your operation, they'll get in touch. In the meantime, make sure they have an up-to-date phone number so they can call you when they're ready.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I had a pre-op in March a few years ago (well before covid could be an excuse) and they finally contacting me in mid September (with 2 days notice) for the op which they did 6 months minus one day after the pre-op. Almost as though they were trying to hit a target.
Imaanx_x
Rep:
?
Erm I’m aware lots of people are in the same situation but I would like to know WHEN I may be seen as the standard waiting time is 18 weeks
Imaanx_x
Rep:
?
Did you get w letter or a phone call. For my consultant I was called on No Caller ID and I get they don’t want people calling them but if I miss it I’m not exactly sure if it’s them or just someone else
(Original post by Compost)
I had a pre-op in March a few years ago (well before covid could be an excuse) and they finally contacting me in mid September (with 2 days notice) for the op which they did 6 months minus one day after the pre-op. Almost as though they were trying to hit a target.
Imaanx_x
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Just call the hospital switchboard and ask to speak to the dermatology secretaries.
Thank you I’m gonna try again today
Appirition
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Erm I’m aware lots of people are in the same situation but I would like to know WHEN I may be seen as the standard waiting time is 18 weeks
Standard waiting times have gone out the door when Covid-19 hit. There's a good chance they won't even know themselves when you might be seen yet, because so much is constantly changing within the NHS
Appirition
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Did you get w letter or a phone call. For my consultant I was called on No Caller ID and I get they don’t want people calling them but if I miss it I’m not exactly sure if it’s them or just someone else
Blocking their number is standard practise across the NHS, so you need to answer those calls until you've got your date.
Imaanx_x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Appirition)
Standard waiting times have gone out the door when Covid-19 hit. There's a good chance they won't even know themselves when you might be seen yet, because so much is constantly changing within the NHS
Yeah I get that but I just really would like a date before I head off to uni but nothing I can really do but to just wait
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I rang in June and they told me I was in the queue and to be patient. I'd been told in March that my problem (haemorrhagic cyst on the thyroid) was unlikely to be be cancer (1 in 100) but it took them 13 months from my initially seeing my GP before I got a biopsy result.
Appirition
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah I get that but I just really would like a date before I head off to uni but nothing I can really do but to just wait
Correct
If your uni is a long way from home and you haven't heard anything by the time you move, you might want to let the current hospital know and ask them about transferring your referral to a hospital closer to your uni
Imaanx_x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
I rang in June and they told me I was in the queue and to be patient. I'd been told in March that my problem (haemorrhagic cyst on the thyroid) was unlikely to be be cancer (1 in 100) but it took them 13 months from my initially seeing my GP before I got a biopsy result.
13 months is such a long time oh god. I’m gonna call up and asked to be put through again
Imaanx_x
Rep:
?
(Original post by Appirition)
Correct
If your uni is a long way from home and you haven't heard anything by the time you move, you might want to let the current hospital know and ask them about transferring your referral to a hospital closer to your uni
It’s around an hour away which isn’t too bad but I’m gonna have to take a week out for recovery but yeah I could do that but wouldn’t that result in a longer waiting period
Appirition
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It’s around an hour away which isn’t too bad but I’m gonna have to take a week out for recovery but yeah I could do that but wouldn’t that result in a longer waiting period
I don't know the answer to that, sorry. You'd have to ask the hospital you're currently with.
At around an hour away I'd probably stay where you are though. I was thinking more along the lines of 3+ hours away.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You may not need that long - in my experience they are very conservative with their guess on how long you need. I've had 2 operations and been signed off for 2 weeks on both occasions. For one I took one day after the op and then was fine to return to work. For the other I was back part time after about 3 days and full time after a week.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Afaik they're mostly doing urgent operations at the moment.

I hope you get to find out soon.
Imaanx_x
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Hi so it’s been a week and I’ve called a few times. I get put through to someone who deals with appointment waiting times but no one answers. The phone rings for about 30 mins and still no one answers. Is this normal should I keep trying or just wait to be contacted
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (0)
0%
Better than expected (5)
38.46%
Worse than expected (8)
61.54%

Watched Threads