5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Welcome!

Are you thinking of taking A-Level Chemistry?

This thread is designed to help future 6th Formers to make a much more informed decision on A-Level Chemistry. Read this post and if you question has not been answered or you need more clarification, feel free to post and a current A-Level Chemistry student will give some advice.

Hopefully, by reading this you will feel much more prepared for A-Level Chemistry. I promise you, the subject is not that horrendous even though I have only experienced AS!

Note:
Personally, I do AQA but the content is quite similar regardless of the exam board. The only major differences you will see is the exam papers and the data sheets and the order of content in the respective textbooks. I have attached resources for all the exam boards where I could, but do not hesitate to use the resources from other exam boards.
Exam boards I have provided resources for:
AQA
Edexcel
OCR A
OCR B

Why should I study Chemistry A-Level?
Spoiler:
Show
Apart from the subject being a requirement for most Science courses, Chemistry is also arguably the most universal and dynamic subject! By taking this subject, you are opening many doors in the future and acquiring many transferable skills which will be, in doubt, important in future studies.

Specification

How is the content assessed?
Spoiler:
Show
Both qualifications (AS and A-Level) are linear. This means that they're examined at the end of the course. While there will be practicals throughout the course lengths, these will no longer be directly assessed at the time as coursework.

Refer to your exam board for the paper structure.

Content
Spoiler:
Show
AS EXAMS

AQA
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  Contents_AQA.png
Views: 71
Size:  400.6 KB

Edexcel
Spoiler:
Show
Does anyone have this?
:emo:

OCR A

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  Contents.png
Views: 67
Size:  324.3 KB

OCR B

Spoiler:
Show
Does anyone have this?

A-LEVEL EXAMS

AQA
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  Contents_AQA_A2.png
Views: 52
Size:  349.8 KB

Edexcel
Spoiler:
Show
Does anyone have this?

OCR A

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  Contents_OCR_A2.png
Views: 41
Size:  328.4 KB

OCR B

Spoiler:
Show
Does anyone have this?

Is A-Level Chemistry as hard as everyone says? (AS and A-Level perspective)
Spoiler:
Show
AS PERSPECTIVE

Written by yours truly. :lol:

I walked into year 12 thinking 'how hard can A-Level Chemistry be?'. Then a few weeks later we had our first assessment. More than three quarters of the class had failed (and by failed I don't mean TSR standards of a B instead of an A/A* - I mean failed, E's and U's).
Most of the students didn't care (they still don't) but I knew I couldn't afford to carry on getting these grades. I started revising a bit more intensely and did a bit every day and my results became a lot more better. I wouldn't say what I would've hoped for but they were definitely better. I was getting no complaints from my teachers and so I didn't feel as stressed as I did before.
In summary, A-Level Chemistry is hard, but put in the effort from the beginning and it will be a breeze!

A-LEVEL PERSPECTIVE

Written by Sam_R9 :woo:

Chemistry is one of my favourite subjects and I'm glad that I was able to self-teach it. At first, it seemed impossible but I managed to do it with the help of some online resources, including TSR. AS is basically a step ahead of GCSEs and the first few chapters are actually an elaboration of what you studied in your GCSEs. Similarly, A2 gives you a deep explanation of what you studied in your AS.

Practicals are interesting. I did not get the opportunity to carry out practicals for my A levels but I managed to do the written practical exams with ease. Why? Because I watched them on YouTube. It might not make sense for some people, but yes, I watched Chemistry practicals on YouTube. You may remember a movie, video song or even some funny video which you watched on YouTube. Why is that? Because you watched it with interest. Apply the same technique in studying. Do something with interest and you will not forget it. Practice questions by topic, past papers and worksheets. If you come across anything that troubles you, like a doubt or a question, feel free to ask help from someone. If you don't have a teacher to help you, then seek help from student forums or other revision sites. There are available in the Internet.

Personally, I found TSR quite helpful when it came to revisions and clearing doubts. There are many people who are ready to help, like @Pigster and @charco, you could even find study buddies or people who are interested in revising with you. You could also find helpful resources from websites such as Physics & Maths tutor, chemrevise and chemguide.

Which resources would you recommend for A-Level Chemistry?
Spoiler:
Show
Videos

Allery Chemistry
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPt...25YHw5SPGdPz0g

Eliot Rintoul
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCps4gUjfZsu6-b-7mwK41lg

SnapRevise
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8p...8z9uOKgAZ7ki8w

Websites

ChemRevise
https://chemrevise.org/

ChemGuide
https://www.chemguide.co.uk/

A-Level Chemistry
http://alevelchem.com/

S-Cool
https://www.s-cool.co.uk/a-level/chemistry

What revision techniques are best to use?
Spoiler:
Show
There are so many revision techniques but which one suits you?
Firstly, you need to find what type of learner you are...take the quiz below to find out if you are unsure!

http://www.educationplanner.org/stud...les-quiz.shtml

Visual
Flashcards
Diagrams
Mindmaps

Kinaesthetic
You will definitely enjoy the practicals!
Flashcards
Use examples to remember concepts
Study with other people
Listen to music whilst studying

Auditory
Record yourself reading out your revision notes
Avoid distractions
Study with others
Listen to YouTube revision videos

Reading/writing learners
Take notes
Read the textbook/revision guide
Turn diagrams into words
Study by yourself

Watch this space. More to come!

Revision guides
Spoiler:
Show
Do not buy any revision guides until you get back to school as your teachers may offer them at a discounted price.

AQA
https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondary...r-1-2-complete

Edexcel
https://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/secondary...year-1-2-compl

OCR A

OCR B

Practicals

ATTENTION
This is a work in progress. If you are in desperate need of a question being answered, please do ask below.
Last edited by 5hyl33n; 2 months ago
zacn01
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Thank you As one of the incoming Year 12s I’ll definitely refer to this occasionally
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Can alumni chemistry A-Level students chip in 👀
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
Can alumni chemistry A-Level students chip in 👀
Sure!
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
(Original post by zacn01)
Thank you As one of the incoming Year 12s I’ll definitely refer to this occasionally
No problem! That's great! :woo:
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
I'll be back later to add more to the original post... :getmecoat:
Bexsterrh22
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Any recommendations on textbooks that cover the new spec?
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by Bexsterrh22)
Any recommendations on textbooks that cover the new spec?
Hi I'm sorry for the late reply. :sorry:

I wouldn't recommend buying any textbooks just yet because your school may offer them at a discounted price or even provide a free online version.
What exam board are you so I can link the right one?
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Hi there!

Are you thinking of taking A-Level Chemistry? Well, that’s great! It is one of the best subjects and if you have a passion, you will definitely enjoy it!

I thought of making this thread as I've seen a lot of students panicking and asking whether A-Level Chemistry is right for them. I’m not sure if a thread like this exists, but I thought this would be a good idea to make it so you future year 12’s know what to expect.

Note:
Personally, I do AQA but the content is quite similar regardless of the exam board. The only major differences you will see is the exam papers and the data sheets and the order of content in the respective textbooks. Remember, this is currently a work in progress so not everything has been uploaded!

What do we learn in A-Level Chemistry?
Spoiler:
Show
Here is the contents page for AQA and OCR Chemistry. As you can see, the content is separated into 3 sections:
- Physical
- Inorganic
- Organic

AS Chemistry

AQA
Spoiler:
Show

OCR A
Spoiler:
Show

A-Level Chemistry

AQA

Spoiler:
Show

OCR
Spoiler:
Show

Which other A-Level subjects pair nicely with A-Level Chemistry?
Spoiler:
Show
Biology
Maths
Physics
Computer Science
Economics
Further Maths

What revision technique works best?
Spoiler:
Show
Top tips!

1. Use the specification/PLC’s!

2. Use the revision guide!

3. Be creative
Spoiler:
Show
Use highlighters, different coloured pens to make certain concepts stand out!

4. Past papers - your only true friend
Spoiler:
Show
When I started exam-questions, I soon found that the questions repeat! Literally, murder every past paper and you will soon see a pattern.

5. Test yourself in different ways
Spoiler:
Show
Flashcards, quizzes, test yourself by asking a friend to ask you questions.

6. Use EVERY resource you can find!

Is A-Level Chemistry as hard as it is made out to be?
Spoiler:
Show
I’ve only experienced AS Chemistry and so far it hasn’t been too bad! I was definitely failing at the start of the year which worried me but soon I was averaging B’s and very high C’s in my tests and now all I need to do is push them up to A’s.

What revision resources/guides would you recommend?

Let me know if you have any other questions! Other A-Level Chemistry students - feel free to chip in and offer some advice!
Hi! It is been a while that I have taken Cjemistry at A levels successfully, so no use for me anylonger. But that is not the point! I just wanted to tell you that I like your idea and effort you have invested in this thread so far. Very helpful for another students who think to take it as A levels!
Last edited by Kallisto; 2 months ago
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kallisto)
Hi! It is been a while that I have taken Cjemistry at A levels successfully, so no use for me anylonger. But that is not the point! I just wanted to tell you that I like your idea and effort you have invested in this thread so far. Very helpful for another students who think to take it as A levels!
Thank you! :hugs:

I wasn't aware you took Chemistry for A-Levels! It is definitely my favourite subject.

There isn't much on it yet, but I'm hoping to build it up slowly every day and I might make one for my other two A-Level subjects Physics and Psychology if this one proves to be popular.

Thank you for taking out the time to comment on this thread. It means a lot.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you! :hugs:

I wasn't aware you took Chemistry for A-Levels! It is definitely my favourite subject.

There isn't much on it yet, but I'm hoping to build it up slowly every day and I might make one for my other two A-Level subjects Physics and Psychology if this one proves to be popular.

Thank you for taking out the time to comment on this thread. It means a lot.
You are welcome. I am serious, it can really be helpful for students who are thinking about further Chemistry at higher levels. I would even stick it in this forum that students are able to find - or to recommend it at least.
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kallisto)
You are welcome. I am serious, it can really be helpful for students who are thinking about further Chemistry at higher levels. I would even stick it in this forum that students are able to find - or to recommend it at least.
PRSOM

I will work on it a bit and then post it in other forums. Thanks for the advice!
Dechante
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, as an A level chemistry alumni this thread is so good and those resources are lifesavers. I think it's so nice that you're doing this even though I'm done with A levels now. I saw you have only completed AS so I wanted to say that imo year 13 is so much more enjoyable and everything just basically clicks and you recognise the links (you'll understand what I mean when you start it).

If you ever feel like you need any more resources to use I like Allery Chemistry for videos and chemrevise.org to print off topic booklets. Also, chemguide is great for in depth explanations if you're stuck or want to get ahead. Chemsheets is another thing I recommend it's ten pounds a year I think but helped me so much with organic chemistry when I was struggling. I wish you all the best with your A levels
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dechante)
Hi, as an A level chemistry alumni this thread is so good and those resources are lifesavers. I think it's so nice that you're doing this even though I'm done with A levels now. I saw you have only completed AS so I wanted to say that imo year 13 is so much more enjoyable and everything just basically clicks and you recognise the links (you'll understand what I mean when you start it).

If you ever feel like you need any more resources to use I like Allery Chemistry for videos and chemrevise.org to print off topic booklets. Also, chemguide is great for in depth explanations if you're stuck or want to get ahead. Chemsheets is another thing I recommend it's ten pounds a year I think but helped me so much with organic chemistry when I was struggling. I wish you all the best with your A levels
Hi!

Thank you!

My school has started a bit of year 13 content and I have to say, I'm enjoying it slightly more than year 12 content! I have started to see a few links which is great!

I will definitely need to add more resources. Those are great! I didn't know ChemSheets is only £10 a year. My teacher usually gives them out as handouts to our class sometimes, but I might invest in them myself.

Thank you for your support. :heart:
username5361454
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi!

Thank you!

My school has started a bit of year 13 content and I have to say, I'm enjoying it slightly more than year 12 content! I have started to see a few links which is great!

I will definitely need to add more resources. Those are great! I didn't know ChemSheets is only £10 a year. My teacher usually gives them out as handouts to our class sometimes, but I might invest in them myself.

Thank you for your support. :heart:
If you don't mind me asking, what month did you finish your yr 1 course? thanks
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
(Original post by jazzj)
If you don't mind me asking, what month did you finish your yr 1 course? thanks
It was quite different this year because of lockdown, but we finished Physical Chemistry by March and Organic Chemistry by May. Then both my teachers split the Inorganic content between themselves and finished the course by the end of June.
We started year 13 content this year too which was great. We have only done a bit of Yr2 Organic, however.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you have any other questions.
username5361454
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
It was quite different this year because of lockdown, but we finished Physical Chemistry by March and Organic Chemistry by May. Then both my teachers split the Inorganic content between themselves and finished the course by the end of June.
We started year 13 content this year too which was great. We have only done a bit of Yr2 Organic, however.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you have any other questions.
thank you! <3 <3
KatelynLouise xo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hey, I enjoyed gcse chemistry but wasn’t planning on taking it until a few days ago. I’m kinda worried about starting it as I haven’t refreshed myself on the gcse content just yet. I’m expecting a 7 (maybe a 6), do you think if I go over the content this month I’ll be okay to start it? I’m fully aware it’s gonna be a struggle but I’m willing to put in the effort. And if you don’t mind asking, what did you get at gcse?
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
fantastic resource :yep:
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I don't know where, that is why I ask you here at this place: Is it possible to stick this thread here in the forum?

I think that would be a good idea for students who are insecure or think of to take Chemistry as A levels (had found some here now and then) and have not to look for such a thread anylonger and even make the efford to create.

What do you think?

EierVonSatan, charco and nyxnko_
Last edited by Kallisto; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (183)
14.27%
I'm not sure (59)
4.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (377)
29.41%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (626)
48.83%

Watched Threads