5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Welcome!

If you have any questions about A-Level Chemistry, this is the place to ask! :yep: I have just completed my A-Levels (teacher-assessed grades) and am happy to advise on revision techniques or provide an insight into the A-Level. :yy:
Below, I have answered some FAQs, but if you have any other questions, make a post and I will be more than happy to help you!

Good luck with A-Level Chemistry!

Specification

How much practical work is there?
Spoiler:
Show
You will have many opportunities to develop your understanding through practical activities.
The skills you learn will contribute towards a practical endorsement which is recorded as a pass or fail.
These skills are also assessed in the written exams.

What types of questions are in the exam?
Spoiler:
Show
There is a mixture of multiple-choice, short answer questions and extended answer questions.

Is there any coursework?
Spoiler:
Show
No, there isn't. Instead, you do practicals. :yes:

Resources
Spoiler:
Show
Remember to ask your teachers/school first whether they are giving revision books at a discounted rate!

UpLearn
Check with your school to see if they are willing to buy it for you.
I believe they have videos for Chemistry, Economics, Psychology, Economics and Mathematics.

Physics and Maths Tutor
Excellent site for revision notes and past paper questions

Your exam board
For past papers and the specification

Your textbook/revision guide

How do I revise?
Spoiler:
Show
Everyone's style of revising is different. If you need any help finding what works for you, tag me below and I will try to help you.

Common methods of revising
Flashcards
Notes
Mindmaps
Posters

What grade did you achieve?
Spoiler:
Show
I achieved a grade B, which isn't great, but I went through two bereavements at the time of my final mocks. :emo:

I'm starting a Chemistry degree at Cardiff University this September!

Last edited by 5hyl33n; 2 months ago
username4492254
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you As one of the incoming Year 12s I’ll definitely refer to this occasionally
Mesopotamian.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can alumni chemistry A-Level students chip in 👀
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mesopotamian.)
Can alumni chemistry A-Level students chip in 👀
Sure!
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
(Original post by zacn01)
Thank you As one of the incoming Year 12s I’ll definitely refer to this occasionally
No problem! That's great! :woo:
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
I'll be back later to add more to the original post... :getmecoat:
Bexsterrh22
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any recommendations on textbooks that cover the new spec?
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bexsterrh22)
Any recommendations on textbooks that cover the new spec?
Hi I'm sorry for the late reply. :sorry:

I wouldn't recommend buying any textbooks just yet because your school may offer them at a discounted price or even provide a free online version.
What exam board are you so I can link the right one?
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Hi there!

Are you thinking of taking A-Level Chemistry? Well, that’s great! It is one of the best subjects and if you have a passion, you will definitely enjoy it!

I thought of making this thread as I've seen a lot of students panicking and asking whether A-Level Chemistry is right for them. I’m not sure if a thread like this exists, but I thought this would be a good idea to make it so you future year 12’s know what to expect.

Note:
Personally, I do AQA but the content is quite similar regardless of the exam board. The only major differences you will see is the exam papers and the data sheets and the order of content in the respective textbooks. Remember, this is currently a work in progress so not everything has been uploaded!

What do we learn in A-Level Chemistry?
Spoiler:
Show
Here is the contents page for AQA and OCR Chemistry. As you can see, the content is separated into 3 sections:
- Physical
- Inorganic
- Organic

AS Chemistry

AQA
Spoiler:
Show

OCR A
Spoiler:
Show

A-Level Chemistry

AQA

Spoiler:
Show

OCR
Spoiler:
Show

Which other A-Level subjects pair nicely with A-Level Chemistry?
Spoiler:
Show
Biology
Maths
Physics
Computer Science
Economics
Further Maths

What revision technique works best?
Spoiler:
Show
Top tips!

1. Use the specification/PLC’s!

2. Use the revision guide!

3. Be creative
Spoiler:
Show
Use highlighters, different coloured pens to make certain concepts stand out!

4. Past papers - your only true friend
Spoiler:
Show
When I started exam-questions, I soon found that the questions repeat! Literally, murder every past paper and you will soon see a pattern.

5. Test yourself in different ways
Spoiler:
Show
Flashcards, quizzes, test yourself by asking a friend to ask you questions.

6. Use EVERY resource you can find!

Is A-Level Chemistry as hard as it is made out to be?
Spoiler:
Show
I’ve only experienced AS Chemistry and so far it hasn’t been too bad! I was definitely failing at the start of the year which worried me but soon I was averaging B’s and very high C’s in my tests and now all I need to do is push them up to A’s.

What revision resources/guides would you recommend?

Let me know if you have any other questions! Other A-Level Chemistry students - feel free to chip in and offer some advice!
Hi! It is been a while that I have taken Cjemistry at A levels successfully, so no use for me anylonger. But that is not the point! I just wanted to tell you that I like your idea and effort you have invested in this thread so far. Very helpful for another students who think to take it as A levels!
Last edited by Kallisto; 1 year ago
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kallisto)
Hi! It is been a while that I have taken Cjemistry at A levels successfully, so no use for me anylonger. But that is not the point! I just wanted to tell you that I like your idea and effort you have invested in this thread so far. Very helpful for another students who think to take it as A levels!
Thank you! :hugs:

I wasn't aware you took Chemistry for A-Levels! It is definitely my favourite subject.

There isn't much on it yet, but I'm hoping to build it up slowly every day and I might make one for my other two A-Level subjects Physics and Psychology if this one proves to be popular.

Thank you for taking out the time to comment on this thread. It means a lot.
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you! :hugs:

I wasn't aware you took Chemistry for A-Levels! It is definitely my favourite subject.

There isn't much on it yet, but I'm hoping to build it up slowly every day and I might make one for my other two A-Level subjects Physics and Psychology if this one proves to be popular.

Thank you for taking out the time to comment on this thread. It means a lot.
You are welcome. I am serious, it can really be helpful for students who are thinking about further Chemistry at higher levels. I would even stick it in this forum that students are able to find - or to recommend it at least.
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kallisto)
You are welcome. I am serious, it can really be helpful for students who are thinking about further Chemistry at higher levels. I would even stick it in this forum that students are able to find - or to recommend it at least.
PRSOM

I will work on it a bit and then post it in other forums. Thanks for the advice!
Dechante
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, as an A level chemistry alumni this thread is so good and those resources are lifesavers. I think it's so nice that you're doing this even though I'm done with A levels now. I saw you have only completed AS so I wanted to say that imo year 13 is so much more enjoyable and everything just basically clicks and you recognise the links (you'll understand what I mean when you start it).

If you ever feel like you need any more resources to use I like Allery Chemistry for videos and chemrevise.org to print off topic booklets. Also, chemguide is great for in depth explanations if you're stuck or want to get ahead. Chemsheets is another thing I recommend it's ten pounds a year I think but helped me so much with organic chemistry when I was struggling. I wish you all the best with your A levels
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dechante)
Hi, as an A level chemistry alumni this thread is so good and those resources are lifesavers. I think it's so nice that you're doing this even though I'm done with A levels now. I saw you have only completed AS so I wanted to say that imo year 13 is so much more enjoyable and everything just basically clicks and you recognise the links (you'll understand what I mean when you start it).

If you ever feel like you need any more resources to use I like Allery Chemistry for videos and chemrevise.org to print off topic booklets. Also, chemguide is great for in depth explanations if you're stuck or want to get ahead. Chemsheets is another thing I recommend it's ten pounds a year I think but helped me so much with organic chemistry when I was struggling. I wish you all the best with your A levels
Hi!

Thank you!

My school has started a bit of year 13 content and I have to say, I'm enjoying it slightly more than year 12 content! I have started to see a few links which is great!

I will definitely need to add more resources. Those are great! I didn't know ChemSheets is only £10 a year. My teacher usually gives them out as handouts to our class sometimes, but I might invest in them myself.

Thank you for your support. :heart:
username5361454
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi!

Thank you!

My school has started a bit of year 13 content and I have to say, I'm enjoying it slightly more than year 12 content! I have started to see a few links which is great!

I will definitely need to add more resources. Those are great! I didn't know ChemSheets is only £10 a year. My teacher usually gives them out as handouts to our class sometimes, but I might invest in them myself.

Thank you for your support. :heart:
If you don't mind me asking, what month did you finish your yr 1 course? thanks
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
(Original post by jazzj)
If you don't mind me asking, what month did you finish your yr 1 course? thanks
It was quite different this year because of lockdown, but we finished Physical Chemistry by March and Organic Chemistry by May. Then both my teachers split the Inorganic content between themselves and finished the course by the end of June.
We started year 13 content this year too which was great. We have only done a bit of Yr2 Organic, however.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you have any other questions.
username5361454
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It was quite different this year because of lockdown, but we finished Physical Chemistry by March and Organic Chemistry by May. Then both my teachers split the Inorganic content between themselves and finished the course by the end of June.
We started year 13 content this year too which was great. We have only done a bit of Yr2 Organic, however.

Hope this helped. Let me know if you have any other questions.
thank you! <3 <3
KatelynLouise xo
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey, I enjoyed gcse chemistry but wasn’t planning on taking it until a few days ago. I’m kinda worried about starting it as I haven’t refreshed myself on the gcse content just yet. I’m expecting a 7 (maybe a 6), do you think if I go over the content this month I’ll be okay to start it? I’m fully aware it’s gonna be a struggle but I’m willing to put in the effort. And if you don’t mind asking, what did you get at gcse?
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
fantastic resource :yep:
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't know where, that is why I ask you here at this place: Is it possible to stick this thread here in the forum?

I think that would be a good idea for students who are insecure or think of to take Chemistry as A levels (had found some here now and then) and have not to look for such a thread anylonger and even make the efford to create.

What do you think?

EierVonSatan, charco and nyxnko_
Last edited by Kallisto; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (57)
14.65%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (98)
25.19%
I'm a bit unsure (67)
17.22%
I'm finding things difficult (133)
34.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (34)
8.74%

Watched Threads