Take a gap year for mental health?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,

I’m F 19, Currently studying a foundation degree course at college, and since my A levels, my mental health has taken a turn for the worst. I have bad depression and anxiety/social anxiety, which has stemmed from bad experiences which has left me with no real friends, a narcissistic father/bad family life, and stress from the pressures of work.

I am unsure whether to take a gap year or not, to maybe sort out my mental health for when I go to university. Or should I just go to university anyway, just so I can get away from my family life/narc father, as that makes me more depressed and anxious.

Also, I feel like my mental health is making me doubt if I will get to where I want to be in my career and I’m also speculating if I should go down a different route. But maybe that’s because I’m not in the right mindset right now..

Any advice would be appreciated thanks.
Prefect1992
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you feel like you need a year out, take a year out. I had a lot of issues with my mental health throughout my time at uni. I had a lot of bereavements in a very short time and had a breakdown. In hindsight, wish i would have temporarily withdrawn to 'sort myself out'....
remussjhj01
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's better to take a year out and get a clear picture of what you want to do. That way you can either sort out something new, or you can go back to uni ready to do well. If you kept going atm, your grades would probably suffer, which wouldn't help you at all.
shebk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Maybe you would make friends in university. Do you have trouble making friends?
By the way, will you go to a top university? What do you major in?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (154)
38.4%
Take autumn exams (123)
30.67%
Look for a job (14)
3.49%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.24%
Take a year out (68)
16.96%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
6.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed