What supplies/ bag do I bring to uni?

Watch
martinaa098
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
get anxiety about change lol but what kind of items would be best for starting University?
I don't know what most people use and don't want to look weird :/ What kind of supplies and stationary should I bring?
bits.of.bio
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Tbh it is very varied from person to person!
In lectures I'd say it's about 50/50 taking notes on a laptop or a notebook.
You will definitely need a notebook for writing up notes etc, I use pukka ones because I like to rip out the pages and put notes in a folder per module which I keep at home.
As for bag, definitely go practical! I have a waterproof backpack I got on sale a few years ago, it has a protective compartment for laptop which is great and loads of room for lunch, notes, water bottle, potentially a change of clothes if im going to the gym after.
People aren't too judgy a uni
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by martinaa098)
get anxiety about change lol but what kind of items would be best for starting University?
I don't know what most people use and don't want to look weird :/ What kind of supplies and stationary should I bring?
Hey martinaa098!

I usually just take my handbag with a clear pencil case with pens in and one notebook.
I also take my laptop / iPad depending on the lecture and usually use those to type/ add notes to lecture slides!

You can also bring a water bottle or just whatever you need in general to get you through the day!

I hope this helps
Eloise - Official Student Rep
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi martinaa098

Most people either use a laptop or paper to make notes. Either is fine, you could take both. In regards to stationary, I personally used to take 2 pens and not much else, as I did law so I didn't need much stationary. Apart from that I would also take some water and food. Most people won't care what you bring or don't bring, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Zaira
Last edited by hallamstudents; 1 week ago
martinaa098
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hey martinaa098!

I usually just take my handbag with a clear pencil case with pens in and one notebook.
I also take my laptop / iPad depending on the lecture and usually use those to type/ add notes to lecture slides!

You can also bring a water bottle or just whatever you need in general to get you through the day!

I hope this helps
Eloise - Official Student Rep
Thank you so muchh!! I'm also planning on getting a laptop, but I don't know what size would be most suitable, maybe 15''?
martinaa098
Rep:
?
(Original post by hallamstudents)
Hi martinaa098

Most people either use a laptop or paper to make notes. Either is fine, you could take both. In regards to stationary, I personally used to take 2 pens and not much else, as I did law so I didn't need much stationary. Apart from that I would also take some water and food. Most people won't care what you bring or don't bring, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Zaira
Thank youu!!
martinaa098
Rep:
?
(Original post by bits.of.bio)
You will definitely need a notebook for writing up notes etc, I use pukka ones because I like to rip out the pages and put notes in a folder per module which I keep at home.
As for bag, definitely go practical! I have a waterproof backpack I got on sale a few years ago, it has a protective compartment for laptop which is great and loads of room for lunch, notes, water bottle, potentially a change of clothes if im going to the gym after.
Thank youu!! I am also considering to get a laptop, but I don't know what size would be best, 15''? Do you know what sizes people normally bring?
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank youu!! I am also considering to get a laptop, but I don't know what size would be best, 15''? Do you know what sizes people normally bring?
Smaller is better, if you're going to carry it around a lot then 15" can be a bit unwieldy imo, 13-14" is fairly common but you'll also see people with massive 18" gaming laptops.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
could get something like a surface so you can write notes onto your laptop without needing too much stationery. if you're doing a science/something mathematical then you might find this easier.
bluewolf21
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'd say you'll probably want a 13/14" screen(my laptop is the latter) as they are often the best balance of having something small and easy to chuck in a bag and being big enough to have a comfortable amount of screen real estate.

BTW, if you need help picking a laptop feel free to look at this form.
bits.of.bio
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't think it matters too much sizewise, mine is 14'' I think but that was more for convenience carrying it around, I use uni computers if i need anything with a bigger screen e.g. data analysis. In some lecture rooms you just get fold out small desks to rest notebooks/laptops on so if it's too big you might struggle balancing it a little but you could always just put it on your knee
UniofReading
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey martinaa098,

I will normally bring a backpack. Inside I have my laptop and charger. A pad of paper and a couple of pens. Also if I am working on something I might bring a textbook if I need it. I then will also bring a lunchbox and some water. I doubt you will look weird honestly!

Hope this reassures you and feel free to ask me any other questions you might have!😊
From,

Amina
martinaa098
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by UniofReading)
Hey martinaa098,

I will normally bring a backpack. Inside I have my laptop and charger. A pad of paper and a couple of pens. Also if I am working on something I might bring a textbook if I need it. I then will also bring a lunchbox and some water. I doubt you will look weird honestly!

Hope this reassures you and feel free to ask me any other questions you might have!😊
From,

Amina
Thank you Amina!
martinaa098
Rep:
?
I don't think it matters too much sizewise, mine is 14'' I think but that was more for convenience carrying it around, I use uni computers if i need anything with a bigger screen e.g. data analysis. In some lecture rooms you just get fold out small desks to rest notebooks/laptops on so if it's too big you might struggle balancing it a little but you could always just put it on your knee
Ahh thank you!!
martinaa098
Rep:
?
(Original post by _gcx)
could get something like a surface so you can write notes onto your laptop without needing too much stationery. if you're doing a science/something mathematical then you might find this easier.
Thank you!!
martinaa098
Rep:
?
Oooh thank you!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (7)
4.55%
Confident (14)
9.09%
Indifferent (16)
10.39%
Unsure (37)
24.03%
Worried (80)
51.95%

Watched Threads