Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi,
For A-levels im planning on doing either:
1. Math,Computer Science, Biology, Chemistry
2. Math,Computer Science, Biology, Economics
Which of these options do you think is better? I was quite hesitant on chemistry because I don't have a deep passion for it and have heard it is quite hard (got A for igcse mocks). Also would it be worth taking bio & chem if i don't want to do any medicine? Ideally i would want for my choices to offer more course opportunities.
bluebeetle
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The university courses that will require chemistry are usually those that have a significant amount of chemistry (or related content) in them. So if you don't enjoy chemistry, you probably won't enjoy those courses.

Either choice is fine and I'd say both keep open plenty of doors. Go with the one that interests you more, as you'll get better grades that way.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by NicqN1)
Hi,
Which of these options do you think is better? I was quite hesitant on chemistry because I don't have a deep passion for it and have heard it is quite hard (got A for igcse mocks). Also would it be worth taking bio & chem if i don't want to do any medicine? Ideally i would want for my choices to offer more course opportunities.
Do the A-Levels that you will succeed and get A*s in, especially if you don't have your heart set on Medicine.
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi,
I wouldn't recommend taking Chemistry if you don't have a passion for it. It's definitely not an easy subject. I've written a post on A-Level Chemistry if you want more advice on the subject.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6613212
National Extension College
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi,
If you don't enjoy chemistry then it might not be advisable to take it at A level as many degrees that require it are very chemistry-heavy. If you are looking to keep your options open, option 2 will provide you with a wide range of skills spanning the physical sciences and social sciences.

Best wishes,
Charlotte
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
don't take chemistry if you don't enjoy it; it's a difficult subject- if you're hesitant about doing medicine, it's probably an indicator that you shouldn't pursue it. your second set of choices will still keep plenty of doors open.
NicqN1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by bluebeetle)
The university courses that will require chemistry are usually those that have a significant amount of chemistry (or related content) in them. So if you don't enjoy chemistry, you probably won't enjoy those courses.

Either choice is fine and I'd say both keep open plenty of doors. Go with the one that interests you more, as you'll get better grades that way.
(Original post by ecolier)
Do the A-Levels that you will succeed and get A*s in, especially if you don't have your heart set on Medicine.
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
I wouldn't recommend taking Chemistry if you don't have a passion for it. It's definitely not an easy subject. I've written a post on A-Level Chemistry if you want more advice on the subject.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6613212
(Original post by National Extension College)
If you don't enjoy chemistry then it might not be advisable to take it at A level as many degrees that require it are very chemistry-heavy. If you are looking to keep your options open, option 2 will provide you with a wide range of skills spanning the physical sciences and social sciences.

Best wishes,
Charlotte
(Original post by absolutelysprout)
don't take chemistry if you don't enjoy it; it's a difficult subject- if you're hesitant about doing medicine, it's probably an indicator that you shouldn't pursue it. your second set of choices will still keep plenty of doors open.
Thank you all for the replies and giving me confidence in my a-level choices. I have decided to go with the second option (Math, Computer Science, Biology and Economics). Do you guys have any degree courses that you can recommend with my a-level combinations? Again thanks a lot.
Last edited by NicqN1; 2 months ago
National Extension College
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you all for the replies and giving me confidence in my a-level choices. I have decided to go with the second option (Math, Computer Science, Biology and Economics). Do you guys have any courses that you can recommend with my a-level combinations? Again thanks a lot.
Hi,

The National Extension College offer all of these A levels for online study. If you mean which degree courses will be open to you, I suggest checking out Informed Choices. I did a quick search for this A level combo and this is the result (https://www.informedchoices.ac.uk/su...level%5B3%5D=9) As you can see, these subjects open up a lot of opportunities.

Best wishes,
Charlotte
absolutelysprout
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Thank you all for the replies and giving me confidence in my a-level choices. I have decided to go with the second option (Math, Computer Science, Biology and Economics). Do you guys have any degree courses that you can recommend with my a-level combinations? Again thanks a lot.
you can use this: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (84)
14.43%
I'm not sure (26)
4.47%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (182)
31.27%
I have already dropped out (12)
2.06%
I'm not a current university student (278)
47.77%

Watched Threads