So are multivitamins ********?

Watch
TrotskyiteRebel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
It’s so complicated to make up your mind on whether you’re wasting your money on vitamins or not. Esp. as someone who doesn’t know much about biology.

There’s been some research that found they are definitely ******** and don’t work. My GP never recommend taking multivitamins for me and I think they don’t usually recommend it.

But people won’t shut up about em. There is so much anecdotal evidence that they work and can help. Many say they’ve done ‘miracles’ for them etc. But research doesn’t find much in support of their claims. Can someone please explain why? And whether or not I should stop taking them?
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TrotskyiteRebel)
It’s so complicated to make up your mind on whether you’re wasting your money on vitamins or not. Esp. as someone who doesn’t know much about biology.

There’s been some research that found they are definitely ******** and don’t work. My GP never recommend taking multivitamins for me and I think they don’t usually recommend it.

But people won’t shut up about em. There is so much anecdotal evidence that they work and can help. Many say they’ve done ‘miracles’ for them etc. But research doesn’t find much in support of their claims. Can someone please explain why? And whether or not I should stop taking them?
I've always been told / heard / thought that unless you have a deficiency confirmed by your GP, then you don't need to take vitamins. You should be getting all the vitamins you need from your diet and lifestyle, so buying them is a waste of money unless you have a deficiency. The only possibly exception is taking vitamin D in winter months, as the NHS says that most British people are deficient in this due to the obvious lack of sun in winter.
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Personally, I've been taking them and I haven't felt a difference. :rofl3:

I've always wanted to know whether they actually work or not. My dad keeps on making me take them every day but I think it's a waste of time.
TrotskyiteRebel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Personally, I've been taking them and I haven't felt a difference. :rofl3:

I've always wanted to know whether they actually work or not. My dad keeps on making me take them every day but I think it's a waste of time.
I only feel a bit more energetic when I take them. They don’t do magic for me either
sakura_23
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
I've always been told / heard / thought that unless you have a deficiency confirmed by your GP, then you don't need to take vitamins. You should be getting all the vitamins you need from your diet and lifestyle, so buying them is a waste of money unless you have a deficiency. The only possibly exception is taking vitamin D in winter months, as the NHS says that most British people are deficient in this due to the obvious lack of sun in winter.
See, they make a difference to my grandparents who struggle to get all the vitamins they need due to other health conditions, but only iron and vitamin B3 help me because I have a deficiency in them, so unless you have an unbalanced diet or a deficiency they won’t really help.
Anonymous #1
Report 6 days ago
I find them useful to take and I feel more energetic after taking them, but I've got an eating disorder and I'm in recovery so while I can't eat much at the moment, they allow me to get the nutrition I need.
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by sakura_23)
See, they make a difference to my grandparents who struggle to get all the vitamins they need due to other health conditions, but only iron and vitamin B3 help me because I have a deficiency in them, so unless you have an unbalanced diet or a deficiency they won’t really help.
Exactly. It makes sense for you and your grandparents to take them because you have medical needs for them. If people don't have a proper reason then it's just a waste of money.
Fermion.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by TrotskyiteRebel)

You won’t feel a difference unless you have a deficiency.

i have a deficiency and feel a difference when I forget to take them or don’t take them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (34)
17.89%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (53)
27.89%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (103)
54.21%

Watched Threads