Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In the The Times University Guide, Lancaster comes 19th.
    In the Independant University Guide/Good University Guide, Lancaster is 10th.
    In both respective tables, Lancaster beats a plethora of "red brick" universities.
    Yet....
    My friends still regard Lancaster as a glorified farm.
    Many believe Lancaster is an ex-poly....which it isn't!
    In fact...many people have failed to hear about Lancaster all together.
    So why is Lancaster, a top University in the country, which is up their with Durham, Oxford, and Cambridge (i'm not exaggerating....remember, it's in the top ten), so often over looked? Does anyone feel they go to (or about to go to, in my case) a really under-rated university?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I agree. Whenever I tell people where I'm going to Lancaster they either say "Where?" or "Oh..." :erm:

To be honest, I wasn't too keen on applying for Lancaster last year but went to the open day anyway and I was won over! I fell in love with the place. I've seen quite a few comments on TSR which put Lancaster in a bad light but usually the poster doesn't seem to know much about the uni, they just assume that it isn't too good for some reason

ReputationRep:
    I always get the "oh isnt that an ex-polytechnic?" or "oh well, polytechnics are getting much better these days", urrgghhh, ITS NOT AN EX-POLY. Not that theres anything wrong with polys, but its just not one.

And redbricks aren't the be all and end all; what about Warwick? Warwick has an amazing reputation despite being built in the 60s (same as Lanc). I think Lancaster is deserving of a somewhat equal reputation.

ReputationRep:
    It's an awesome place, I went there and was amazed. Picked Cardiff in the end, but if I'd missed my offer and gone to Lancaster I'd have been very satisfied.

Although I didn't apply there, I've heard a lot of really good things about the place.

ReputationRep:
    Up there with Oxford and Cambridge? Let's not exaggerate, more like up there with Exeter and Loughborough.

ReputationRep:
    What? Lancaster really isn't up there with Durham and Oxbridge don't believe league tables

However I do agree its underrated, it seeems to be a good solid uni.

ReputationRep:
    Where is Lancaster? Never heard of it. I love in london by the way.

(Original post by katrinakaif)
    Where is Lancaster? Never heard of it. I love in london by the way.
    In Lancashire, which is in the North East

EDIT: I know it's in the North-West! I was being silly.

ReputationRep:
    If lancaster did clinical physiology with cardiology..i'd be there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MazalTov89)
    In Lancashire, which is in the North East
    Or even the North West. Between Manchester and the Lake District.
    I hope you were being ironic or something....

ReputationRep:
    Nah Im not - my georgraphy is weak, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_spanner89)
    If lancaster did clinical physiology with cardiology..i'd be there
    And then we'd all be wearing well fitting bras..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toxic Tears)
    What? Lancaster really isn't up there with Durham and Oxbridge don't believe league tables
    Certainly not in terms of undergraduate entry requirements, but there is some top notch research happening at Lancaster, which in my book defines a university more. Of course on TSR universities are only defined by their undergraduate requirements, not anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomber)
    Certainly not in terms of undergraduate entry requirements, but there is some top notch research happening at Lancaster, which in my book defines a university more. Of course on TSR universities are only defined by their undergraduate requirements, not anything else.
    There are plenty of Management School undergraduate courses at Lancaster University which carry a conditional offer of AAA. I think if you just take into consideration the Management School itself then Lancaster University is definitely under-rated, but it certainly does appear to have lower entry requirements and lesser links with industry with its other departments at Lancaster. Though I am definitely surprised at how many people have never heard of Lancaster University before when I mentioned I was going there.

(Original post by Lizj)
    Or even the North West. Between Manchester and the Lake District.
    I hope you were being ironic or something....
    Haha, that genuinely was a mistake.

I should know it's in the North West, I'm moving to that part of the country next month!

ReputationRep:
    I like Lancaster - I was going to apply but didn't because everyone told me I should go to a city university.

Well I have to say I wish I hadn't listened to them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History Lost in Physics)
    I like Lancaster - I was going to apply but didn't because everyone told me I should go to a city university.

Well I have to say I wish I hadn't listened to them!
    Haha, I was going to do the opposite and apply for Bristol.

Did I make the right choice? (I'm at Lancs atm, by the way - just wanna know what Bristol would've been like).

ReputationRep:
    tbh i have actually been there and didnt like it
    i got an offer through clearing and the uni seemed nice enough but for me it was the city that put me off, it just seemed too small and i'd need a lot more going on. maybe that has something to do with it?

ReputationRep:
    In a word (well 2 to be precise) Lancaster is the balls.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.