Fab2003
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi Guys,
I am new to student Room and i just very confused with my career so I wanted some Help.
I am currently in year 12 and applying for university in a few months and I really wanted to go towards a career or being a charter accountant .
However I don know what degree to do in University . I don'tunderstand if i have to do AAT / ACCA exams and university or just one.
Please HELP!!!
SAARH.A5
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
To become a Chartered Accountant, you must complete the ACA, a highly-respected professional qualification that requires students to complete at least three years on-the-job training while passing a series of exams. You can find out more here.
You do not have to study a finance degree to become a Chartered Accountant. Most employers offering ACA training agreements are looking for you to have achieved a first or a 2:1 in the subject of your choice, you just need to demonstrate your commitment and interest in a career in accountancy.
Fab2003
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SAARH.A5)
To become a Chartered Accountant, you must complete the ACA, a highly-respected professional qualification that requires students to complete at least three years on-the-job training while passing a series of exams. You can find out more here.
You do not have to study a finance degree to become a Chartered Accountant. Most employers offering ACA training agreements are looking for you to have achieved a first or a 2:1 in the subject of your choice, you just need to demonstrate your commitment and interest in a career in accountancy.
Does that mean that I can't do an accounting degree in Uni ? Or is a Uni degree in accounting not really useful?
SAARH.A5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Fab2003)
Does that mean that I can't do an accounting degree in Uni ? Or is a Uni degree in accounting not really useful?
If you definitely want to do Accounting, then go for it. You'll be better off as you'll receive a few exemptions from professional exams. It's best to check how many exemptions per course/uni to get the best out of it. However, you do not need an Accounting degree to be an Accountant. You just need a 2:1 in any degree subject. Do your research to see if you'd be interested in an Accounting degree.
ROC10
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by SAARH.A5)
If you definitely want to do Accounting, then go for it. You'll be better off as you'll receive a few exemptions from professional exams. It's best to check how many exemptions per course/uni to get the best out of it. However, you do not need an Accounting degree to be an Accountant. You just need a 2:1 in any degree subject. Do your research to see if you'd be interested in an Accounting degree.
This is not technically correct.

You do not need to have a degree of any sort to become a chartered accountant. If you are certain you’d like to become a CA/ACA you should seriously consider school leaver programmes. Some of these may offer the chance to obtain a degree but many prioritise experience and the professional qualification(s). You will qualify sooner than if you join as a uni graduate so it’s worth considering. Once you’re qualified it won’t matter whether or not you have a degree in the majority of cases (main exception I can think of is if you wanted to go into teaching or something).
SAARH.A5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ROC10)
This is not technically correct.

You do not need to have a degree of any sort to become a chartered accountant. If you are certain you’d like to become a CA/ACA you should seriously consider school leaver programmes. Some of these may offer the chance to obtain a degree but many prioritise experience and the professional qualification(s). You will qualify sooner than if you join as a uni graduate so it’s worth considering. Once you’re qualified it won’t matter whether or not you have a degree in the majority of cases (main exception I can think of is if you wanted to go into teaching or something).
Yes, it depends on the route you choose to take. You could choose to complete school leaver programmes or join as a graduate.
ICAEW Careers
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fab2003)
Hi Guys,
I am new to student Room and i just very confused with my career so I wanted some Help.
I am currently in year 12 and applying for university in a few months and I really wanted to go towards a career or being a charter accountant .
However I don know what degree to do in University . I don'tunderstand if i have to do AAT / ACCA exams and university or just one.
Please HELP!!!
Hi Fab2003,

Thank you for showing an interest in accountancy.

Firstly, there are many routes available to you to become a chartered accountant through ICAEW.

Use our 'Find your route' tool to discover which route is best for you.

Why don't you check out our 'Training as a graduate' page on our website - which provides more information on what's involved as a graduate following university.

You also don't have to study accountancy as a degree to participate in one of our qualifications. We have trainees from varying degree backgrounds.

However, if this is something you are keen to do then you maybe eligible for some 'credits for prior learning'.

We wish you the best of luck in the next steps in your career.

Best wishes,
ICAEW
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (173)
58.25%
No they should not (89)
29.97%
Abstain (35)
11.78%

Watched Threads