What are the benefits of doing a masters in economics?

Watch
Cheesybread
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I just graduated uni with a 1st in economics, I can apply to do economics and finance as a masters degree. However i am unsure of the benefits of doing a masters and what jobs are available to me through this route. Any help is appreciated.
AANN99
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Cheesybread)
I just graduated uni with a 1st in economics, I can apply to do economics and finance as a masters degree. However i am unsure of the benefits of doing a masters and what jobs are available to me through this route. Any help is appreciated.
What are your specific career goals? What uni did you do undergrad at, people usually do a masters;
1) Another chance at recruitment cycle
2) Upgrade prestige by going to a target uni (e.g. doing undergrad at Swansea then masters at Warwick)
3) To go on to do a PhD
If you have a 1st in economics I'm very surprised you haven't found a job tbh (assuming you applied to graduate schemes last year and have been applying to normal jobs over the past few months). Economics and Finance MSc is a highly intensive course and needs to be given serious thought before doing or it can be an extremely expensive and time consuming mistake.

Good luck though .
Cheesybread
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AANN99)
What are your specific career goals? What uni did you do undergrad at, people usually do a masters;
1) Another chance at recruitment cycle
2) Upgrade prestige by going to a target uni (e.g. doing undergrad at Swansea then masters at Warwick)
3) To go on to do a PhD
If you have a 1st in economics I'm very surprised you haven't found a job tbh (assuming you applied to graduate schemes last year and have been applying to normal jobs over the past few months). Economics and Finance MSc is a highly intensive course and needs to be given serious thought before doing or it can be an extremely expensive and time consuming mistake.

Good luck though .
Only got a confirmed 1st a couple weeks ago. And only been applying for jobs for a month. Thank you for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (116)
25.61%
Better than expected (93)
20.53%
Worse than expected (244)
53.86%

Watched Threads