The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hopeful_Dreams
10 to keep in touch with my family. Didn't use it much/if at all.

The next one I got when I was 12; Nokia 3310 everyone and their dog's mother had at the time.

The next one I got when I was 16 which got stolen in a locker room. Another practical Nokia.

And the one I currently have is another Nokia. It's practical, I like it. Has the essentials, it texts and receives texts, call and receives them and takes videos and pictures and can play music or the radio. People say it's a brick but I love it. I'm not a phone person at all and generally use it when I need to get picked up after going out or to contact a friend when one/neither of us are home.

I won't get a new phone unless the one I have now breaks or gets stolen again.

I had a BT cellnet then a 33:30. I remember this popular girl saying "there's no way you're getting a 33:30". For goodness sake it was THE SAME PHONE! Only one had the internet but it wasn't set up so I couldn't use it. Kids... :rolleyes:
Reply 62
12, Sony J70.
Got the Egg phone when i was about 14 (Nokia 6600)
Now im on the Sony ericsson w800i
I was 11, Nokia 3310 :cool: The only reason I had it though was because I was travelling a fair distance to school and I needed to be able to call my parents if my train broke down or something (which it did, frequently) or I'd missed it and didn't need a lift etc
Reply 64

I dont think that its good in primary school but once they get to 13 then its fine IMO.
in year 7.

Is that 11/12?
10/11... seriously too young for one. All I used to do was play snake on it and create my own ringtones. It was bloody massive though!

The first one I bought myself was when I was 13, it was actually quite nice, and had a COLOUR screen!!
think i got mine when i was twelve...
a sendo, those were the days ^_^
i felt so hippp!

depends, more and more kids go to school alone and more bad things happen on the street anyway. if kids are taught to use it properly, and can control themselves, then i guess its not so bad for them to have a mobile phone early. when they start high school is an ok time.. :yep:
november last year, for my 15th birthday (after much and relentless nagging convincing my parents to get me one).
cpj1987
my sister's 12 and got her first one when she was 7 or 8.

No offence, but I would personally say that that's too young.

Maybe 11 would be when I'd think of giving my kids phones.
Reply 70
13. That was because I live in London and my mum was at work all the time and my Dad was abroad. So she needed (understandably) to keep her tabs on me. I really object to young children having them, though- I don't think it's healthy for their development,.
Reply 71
11, my parent's old brick (and I don't mean like the slightly bigger nokias you used to get, this weighed a ton. But I went to school an hour and a half away from my house.

I'm almost 21 now
11, the day I started secondary school. Perfect timing, methinks.
Reply 73
I was 12, and it was a Nokia 3310. I loved that phone.
I didn't need the phone at all, but I had an operation and that was my present for being brave :p:

My cousins are 11 and they've had mobiles since they were 9 or 10. They really don't need them, IMO. I mean, they never go anywhere without an adult so it's not as if they're ever going to need to call and say they'll be late home!
I was 12 I think. It was an old Nokia, one of the ones with a stubby aerial, haha. I hardly used it until I turned 13 or so.

I don't see the need for kids below year seven at school to have a mobile.
I was 17.
11, one of those Sendos :p:

I remember when everyone thought a colour phone was the most amazing thing you could buy :p:

I have a Sony Ericsson W580i now :biggrin:
Year 8, which means I was like 12 or 13. I don't think kids should have them as young as 8; ultimately at that age it's just an accesory to make you look cool.
About 12-ish.
Just as I got to secondary school, it was an old crap thing, I don't think the brand even exists anymore!
got my first phone when I was 12 because I'd started going out with friends without parental supervision so they needed to be able to contact me.

Latest

Trending

Trending