Shall I live in Halls or with my boyfriend?

Watch
emmawilloughby
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm going to uni next year and have been planning to live with my boyfriend (if we are still together obviously) but I was wondering if I would be missing out if I didn't live in halls. My boyfriend isnt planning on going to uni, but if we we're still together i would feel bad if i didn't live with him. Do you think I would miss out on the 'Uni Experience' if I lived with him rather than in Halls?
Hannah0505
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
what uni experience?
KittyN
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The fact that you keep saying “if we’re still together” makes it seem to me like halls would be a better idea. You don’t want to get into a year-long rental contract with him and then break up after 3 months and be stuck living together.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
After sixth form, a lot of people I know who were in long term relationships broke up because they were going to different unis and probs couldn't manage the long distance.

I'm not saying it will happen to you but you need to think about this. Plus does your boyfriend already have a job? You are moving to a new location.

Even if you do live together, you don't need to worry to much about the uni experience. Most of your friends will probably be made in your courses or societies.
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It’s more about whether you want to go out lots, devote time to finding new friends and to flirt with people you fancy, this is the classic uni experience. Halls is a bit overrated as accommodation to be honest, but does have some merits for these aims.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Id live in halls, If you want the experience.

If you want to mingle with lots of freshers, enjoy the hanging out late in the evenings, be more involved in campus life you’ll find it much easier living in halls.

After first year you can always move in with your partner and you’ll be very integrated into uni life at that point.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 weeks ago
Go live with him. If there other guy in halls he might get jealous.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 weeks ago
Live in halls.

Don't give up the opportunity to make good friends for a guy you might not even still be with this time next year. A lot can change in a year - especially at uni - trust me.
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'd agree to live in halls. People change a lot when they go to uni and that usually has bad consequences for relationships. It's not guaranteed to happen, but if it does you're better off each having your own place to stay.

I'd also be weary about moving in together at 18, living independently is a big step let alone moving in with someone at the same time. You may also find difficulties getting a flat together as him not being a student rules out any student accommodation e.g. studios, and you're going to find it difficult to find a landlord who will accept an 18 year old couple where one is a student and the other is moving city and probably doesn't have a job lined up etc.
Janel123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by KittyN)
The fact that you keep saying “if we’re still together” makes it seem to me like halls would be a better idea. You don’t want to get into a year-long rental contract with him and then break up after 3 months and be stuck living together.
Hahahaha yeah, if you're unsure with your relationship with him, halls is a much better choice, no regrets
YaliaV
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You’re too young to be tethered to a boyfriend. Are you related to Holly?
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by YaliaV)
Are you related to Holly?
:lol:
xoxAngel_Kxox
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Right, please live in halls. You say you'll live with your boyfriend 'if you're still together', and if you're not even sure you'll still be together, why on earth do you think it's a good idea to move in with them?

I moved in with my boyfriend in my second year, after living in halls for the first year, and it was honestly the worst thing I ever did. We ended up splitting up and I moved back home, then had to do a ridiculous commute to uni. It made life very difficult. I think you should both live in different halls, then you can visit each other as much as you like, while knowing you have the distance you need whenever you need your own space.
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by emmawilloughby)
I'm going to uni next year and have been planning to live with my boyfriend (if we are still together obviously) but I was wondering if I would be missing out if I didn't live in halls. My boyfriend isnt planning on going to uni, but if we we're still together i would feel bad if i didn't live with him. Do you think I would miss out on the 'Uni Experience' if I lived with him rather than in Halls?
Hi emmawilloughby

I understand that you must feel in a bit of a pickle! Personally I would definitely recommend living in halls if you have the opportunity to as it introduced me to so many amazing people that I am still good friends with after finishing the final year of my degree! I would also consider expenses such as council tax which you are exempt from as a student but your household isn't if you live with a non-student so there may be additional expenses you would have to consider! If you did live in halls, many of them also include all bills and repairs making it a more hassle free experience where you don't have to deal with indepedant landlords (as some of them can be a nightmare), it also wouldn't stop you being able to see your boyfriend if you wanted to
Best of luck,
Millie
Student Rep
Kogomogo
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
i'd probably say go for halls, especially if you don't know him that well, living with someone is very different to how you'd interact with them normally and it can be hard / awkward to back out if things go wrong.

Me and my bf both lived in halls, had seperate rooms. I think it worked well, we mostly just lived together anyway alternating rooms every few nights, but we still had the option of having our own space when we wanted it which was nice. Plus the bonus of if there was a party going on and we wanted to study we could just retreat to the other room.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (7)
4.55%
Confident (14)
9.09%
Indifferent (16)
10.39%
Unsure (37)
24.03%
Worried (80)
51.95%

Watched Threads