The Student Room Group

transgender at the university of oxford

So I'm currently in the process of socially transitioning and I want to apply to oxford university. How is life for transgender people at oxford? Are people accepting and kind? If i wanted to not tell people i was trans would they accept me as a guy with a high voice until i can start testosterone? Is there much of an LGBT scene at oxford, is dating for LGBT good at oxford?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Mojmeer
make sure to put you transition into the UCAS Personal statement, that will pretty much guarantee a place.

I won't be doing that, and I would hope that's not the case considering how competitive oxford is.
Reply 2
Unis tend to be the most accepting with LGBT+ topics out of anywhere, quite a few of them go so far as to have rules banning "transphobic propaganda"
Reply 3
Original post by Sebast1an
I won't be doing that, and I would hope that's not the case considering how competitive oxford is.

Well, there is going to be a face to face interview stage, right?
Reply 4
Original post by Sinnoh
Unis tend to be the most accepting with LGBT+ topics out of anywhere, quite a few of them go so far as to have rules banning "transphobic propaganda"

That's good to hear thanks
Reply 5
Original post by Mojmeer
Well, there is going to be a face to face interview stage, right?

If i get that far, but I'm using my birthname on my UCAS application so I don't think they would think i was trans
Original post by Mojmeer
make sure to put you transition into the UCAS Personal statement, that will pretty much guarantee a place.

Don’t be a naughty rat.

I agree with Sinnoh.
So I'm currently in the process of socially transitioning and I want to apply to oxford university. How is life for transgender people at oxford? Are people accepting and kind? If i wanted to not tell people i was trans would they accept me as a guy with a high voice until i can start testosterone? Is there much of an LGBT scene at oxford, is dating for LGBT good at oxford?

I'm sorry that you seem to have got a lot of nonsense on this thread :hugs:

Oxford did a 2018 survey on their trans students' experience here (unfortunately it is a bit harrowing, and TW for suicide/self harm mentions): https://www.oxfordsu.org/resourcehandler/c494a2d7-3ace-4a76-b609-aef78ee7f821/ There's also a 2019 video here: https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/news/2019-05-21-transgender-community-oxford and all their support guidelines are available online too https://edu.admin.ox.ac.uk/transgender-policy#collapse1138221.

I can't speak for Oxford specifically, but unis generally tend to be accepting places and you would have strong protections in place. Realistically, some people will be awful, but I would hope that you would have a good experience overall - the issues we face are unlikely to go away just because a uni isn't, like, explicitly transphobic, but it's a start. You certainly don't have to tell people you're trans if you don't want to, but you likely would have to tell the uni just to access transition support?

The LGBT scene at Oxford is very good, or so I'm told; one of my friends currently has an offer and is already in a LGBT group chat for offer holders. @The_Lonely_Goatherd will probably know more about the specifics?
Reply 8
Original post by becausethenight
I'm sorry that you seem to have got a lot of nonsense on this thread :hugs:

Oxford did a 2018 survey on their trans students' experience here (unfortunately it is a bit harrowing, and TW for suicide/self harm mentions): https://www.oxfordsu.org/resourcehandler/c494a2d7-3ace-4a76-b609-aef78ee7f821/ There's also a 2019 video here: https://www.ox.ac.uk/students/news/2019-05-21-transgender-community-oxford and all their support guidelines are available online too https://edu.admin.ox.ac.uk/transgender-policy#collapse1138221.

I can't speak for Oxford specifically, but unis generally tend to be accepting places and you would have strong protections in place. Realistically, some people will be awful, but I would hope that you would have a good experience overall - the issues we face are unlikely to go away just because a uni isn't, like, explicitly transphobic, but it's a start. You certainly don't have to tell people you're trans if you don't want to, but you likely would have to tell the uni just to access transition support?

The LGBT scene at Oxford is very good, or so I'm told; one of my friends currently has an offer and is already in a LGBT group chat for offer holders. @The_Lonely_Goatherd will probably know more about the specifics?

Thankyou :smile: That's great to hear about the LGBT scene, and yes it would be sensible for me to inform them I'm transgender if I get an offer.
Original post by Mojmeer
I mean if you have a potential advantage, why not cash it out?

It's really not an advantage, though?

These are the UG admissions targets from 2020:
"Target 1: to reduce the gap in participation rates for disadvantaged students (ACORN) to
3:1 by 2024-25.
Target 2: to reduce the gap in participation rates for under-represented students
(POLAR4) to 8:1 by 2024-25.
Target 3: to eliminate the gap in offer rates for Asian applicants by 2021-22.
Target 4: to halve the gap in attainment rates for black students to 6% by 2024-25.
Target 5: to eliminate the gap in attainment rates for disabled students by 2024-25." (https://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxford/UniversityOfOxford_APP_2020-21.pdf)

No mention of trans students... I'd imagine admissions tutors would actually be really opposed to any attempt to 'suggest' in your PS that you should get in because you have X quality. Unless you could make it relevant somehow (ie: Medicine, I want to learn more about trans healthcare or whatever).
Thankyou :smile: That's great to hear about the LGBT scene, and yes it would be sensible for me to inform them I'm transgender if I get an offer.

:goodluck:
Reply 11
:goodluck:

Thankyou!

Oxford’s academic reputation has been dwindling for the better part of a century and it survives purely on tradition. Statistically, it isn’t actually that competitive, either: make your grades and give a competent performance at the interview and you’re in.

I can’t speak for transgender status being a target characteristic of their inclusion policy, but I know for a fact that socioeconomic estimates are taken into account before the interview stage, so interpret that how you will.

To answer your actual question: people can be *******s no matter where they are. Oxford colleges are primarily filled with younger people, though, and I have two transgender friends at different colleges who rarely express any significant dissatisfaction with the way they’re treated regarding their gender. Sure, some people stare and occasionally ask unintentionally rude questions out of genuine curiosity. Universities, on the whole, are very friendly, and Oxford isn’t much of an exception.
It's really not an advantage, though?

These are the UG admissions targets from 2020:
"Target 1: to reduce the gap in participation rates for disadvantaged students (ACORN) to
3:1 by 2024-25.
Target 2: to reduce the gap in participation rates for under-represented students
(POLAR4) to 8:1 by 2024-25.
Target 3: to eliminate the gap in offer rates for Asian applicants by 2021-22.
Target 4: to halve the gap in attainment rates for black students to 6% by 2024-25.
Target 5: to eliminate the gap in attainment rates for disabled students by 2024-25." (https://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxford/UniversityOfOxford_APP_2020-21.pdf)

No mention of trans students... I'd imagine admissions tutors would actually be really opposed to any attempt to 'suggest' in your PS that you should get in because you have X quality. Unless you could make it relevant somehow (ie: Medicine, I want to learn more about trans healthcare or whatever).

He belongs under targets number 1 & 2. It will definitely help both sides, they will fill quotas and he gets to study in a place of his choice.
Original post by Mojmeer
He belongs under targets number 1 & 2. It will definitely help both sides, they will fill quotas and he gets to study in a place of his choice.

Targets 1 and 2 are POLAR4 (postcode participation in HE) and ACORN (socio-economic status based on postcode, too)? Have a look here: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/decisions/contextual-data
OP could be trans and live in London and be rich :biggrin:
Targets 1 and 2 are POLAR4 (postcode participation in HE) and ACORN (socio-economic status based on postcode, too)? Have a look here: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/decisions/contextual-data
OP could be trans and live in London and be rich :biggrin:

Also possible :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by island232
Oxford’s academic reputation has been dwindling for the better part of a century and it survives purely on tradition. Statistically, it isn’t actually that competitive, either: make your grades and give a competent performance at the interview and you’re in.

I can’t speak for transgender status being a target characteristic of their inclusion policy, but I know for a fact that socioeconomic estimates are taken into account before the interview stage, so interpret that how you will.

To answer your actual question: people can be *******s no matter where they are. Oxford colleges are primarily filled with younger people, though, and I have two transgender friends at different colleges who rarely express any significant dissatisfaction with the way they’re treated regarding their gender. Sure, some people stare and occasionally ask unintentionally rude questions out of genuine curiosity. Universities, on the whole, are very friendly, and Oxford isn’t much of an exception.

That's good to hear they have had a pretty good experience, thanks

The LGBT society is the second biggest society in Oxford. You can visit their website to find out more about what they do. It could be good to send them an email if you want to learn more about the experience of trans students. They would actually have some useful info, unlike 90% of people who have posted here.

Ultimately, Oxford students aren't much different from other uni students, most are accepting and welcoming but I'm afraid I don't know enough to tell you more specifically.

Take no notice of the discussion of quotas, much of it is innaccurate. On the point of interview, interviewers undergo implicit bias training. I don't know how well this works but hopefully you'll be judge only on what you say.

Good luck with your application!
(edited 3 years ago)
Sorry that you have been given some silly replies OP, best of luck with your transition (i love the name Sebastian, it's the name of one of my hamsters because i love it so much :biggrin: )

@The_Lonely_Goatherd @Oxford Mum do you have any insights? :smile:
Thread now re-opened. :smile:

I'd like to start by thanking those who have given good advice to the Original Poster. :ta:

A couple of reminders:

- If you're not here to post something helpful then please post elsewhere.
There are plenty of other forums on the site more suitable to debate gender identities.

- Please be respectful and friendly to other members. If somebody has posted here asking for advice, please offer that advice without being overly critical or judgmental.

- If you see a post which you don't think is helpful or appropriate to be on the site, please report it using the report button on the top right hand side of every post. It's there for a reason: it stops you needing to reply to that post.

Several posts have been removed from this thread as they do not help the Original Poster with the issue at hand. Please don't engage further in conversations which detract from the topic of the thread. If you'd like to discuss TSR's moderation process please visit this lovely private forum and start a thread.

Thanks all,
MR

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending