kekedoyouloveme?
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi,

I'm doing AQA biology and I just need some few questions being answered, seeing as it's my first time doing this exam board (did a different one last year).

1: My first question is could Coppicing come up in the new specification exam papers, I don't really know what it is other than that it's used for sustainable management, and like rotational coppicing. But, I couldn't find any direct statement on it in the Specification.

Also what are the advantages and disadvantages to stem cells? because whenever, I've researched it, there's no A-level documents just basic GCSE comparison's.

Like if I said a disadvantage of using Embryo stem cells was that Ethical concerns can arise particularly as the Embryo cannot ask for consent. And that another disadvantage was that stem cell therapy using Embryos may lead to death/or damage to the Embryo. Would those be sufficient enough as disadvantages? Because, I can't find any other disadvantages for the life of me.
Last edited by kekedoyouloveme?; 5 months ago
gongoozled goose
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
on the disadvantages side...have you included how the characteristic of embryonic cell lacking Hayflick limit could lead to cancer? Is that what you meant by death?

(Original post by kekedoyouloveme?)

Like if I said a disadvantage of using Embryo stem cells was that Ethical concerns can arise particularly as the Embryo cannot ask for consent. And that another disadvantage was that stem cell therapy using Embryos may lead to death/or damage to the Embryo. Would those be sufficient enough as disadvantages? Because, I can't find any other disadvantages for the life of me.
kekedoyouloveme?
Rep:
?
(Original post by gongoozled goose)
on the disadvantages side...have you included how the characteristic of embryonic cell lacking Hayflick limit could lead to cancer? Is that what you meant by death?
I just read somewhere it may lead to death or destruction of the embryo hang on
http://www.stwcc.co.uk/attachments/d...le=57&type=pdf

this is what I used basically.
gongoozled goose
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I just read somewhere it may lead to death or destruction of the embryo hang on
http://www.stwcc.co.uk/attachments/d...le=57&type=pdf

this is what I used basically.

Edit : I'm sorry what i said is another bullet point for disadvantage totally separate thing to death of embryo....I'm sorry I got it muddled
Usually the normal somatic cells have a Hayflick limit which would control the amount of cell divisions. But the hayflick limit isnt present in totipotent embryonic cell nor do cancer cells...
What I meant was, if we're using the embryonic cells for transplants, theres a chance of the stem cells getting cancerous as they dont have Hayflick Limit
Last edited by gongoozled goose; 5 months ago
kekedoyouloveme?
Rep:
?
Edit : I'm sorry what i said is another bullet point for disadvantage totally separate thing to death of embryo....I'm sorry I got it muddled
Usually the normal somatic cells have a Hayflick limit which would control the amount of cell divisions. But the hayflick limit isnt present in totipotent embryonic cell nor do cancer cells...
What I meant was, if we're using the embryonic cells for transplants, theres a chance of the stem cells getting cancerous as they dont have Hayflick Limit
That's brilliant, would that be accepted by the mark scheme for AQA?
Also I was wondering if you know any advantages/ethical issues on monoclonal antibodies, I couldn't find much use when I tried researching about them. x
gongoozled goose
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
That's brilliant, would that be accepted by the mark scheme for AQA?
Also I was wondering if you know any advantages/ethical issues on monoclonal antibodies, I couldn't find much use when I tried researching about them. x
Np! I'm sorry I'm not familiar with mark scheme for AQA :/ I wonder if its mentioned in AQA specification..:hmmmm:
What do you think this link? https://quizlet.com/257346507/66-adv...s-flash-cards/
Feels good to refresh up x
kekedoyouloveme?
Rep:
?
Np! I'm sorry I'm not familiar with mark scheme for AQA :/ I wonder if its mentioned in AQA specification..:hmmmm:
What do you think this link? https://quizlet.com/257346507/66-adv...s-flash-cards/
Feels good to refresh up x
omg thank you, I'll have a look cheers x
gongoozled goose
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
omg thank you, I'll have a look cheers x
Np we're all in this revision boat together xx Thank u too!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (12)
13.33%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (20)
22.22%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (39)
43.33%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (16)
17.78%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (3)
3.33%

Watched Threads