The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath foundation ENGINEERING?

I’m interested in doing a form of engineering- love the sounds of Bath and Warwick but am a grade below entry. I have AAA but need A*AA. I heard Loughborough is good for engineering/ industrial design and Brunel, (Sheffield?) but am not really sure because they’re not Russel groups and I haven’t heard of them before. Bath offers a foundation year( don’t know about Warwick ).

What would be the best for me to do?
I am super creative but am trying to decide between civil, mechanical, material and Industrial engineering/design.

Alternatively I was looking at Glasgow (gsa and uog joint) for product design engineering and UAL for product design (but is non scientific so I think I’d want it to be more engineering focused?)

Does anyone have any insight on this?
Id say you should try and apply through clearing as the entry requirements should be lowered. You have really good grades which in my opinion, would be wasted on a foundation year.
Brunel is good for engineering however the entry is BBB and it's a London campus uni which has its upsides and downsides.
If you're wanting to apply for 2020, I'd try clearing for bath and Warwick as they are good unis to go to. I'm hoping to go to bath myself
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Reply 2
University of Bath and Loughborough are very very good for engineering in UK. They have excellent reputations. If you are a grade below contact the admissions as a lot are in clearing now.

Choose the branch of engineering you are most interested in and where you like to work in your career.

PS
Brunel is good but I think personally Loughborough and Bath are a lot better.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by megathon360
Id say you should try and apply through clearing as the entry requirements should be lowered. You have really good grades which in my opinion, would be wasted on a foundation year.
Brunel is good for engineering however the entry is BBB and it's a London campus uni which has its upsides and downsides.
If you're wanting to apply for 2020, I'd try clearing for bath and Warwick as they are good unis to go to. I'm hoping to go to bath myself

Original post by 161BMW
University of Bath and Loughborough are very very good for engineering in UK. They have excellent reputations. If you are a grade below contact the admissions as a lot are in clearing now.

Choose the branch of engineering you are most interested in and where you like to work in your career.

PS
Brunel is good but I think personally Loughborough and Bath are a lot better.

Thanks for your advice!
I’m not in clearing, as I’m in year 12. However I’d never thought of that, just of the competitition for these unis. I have done a civil engineering summer school and structural/ civil/ architecture/urban design summer school but have not done any engineering related specific experience, so do you also think I should do an EPQ or something like that to strengthen my application even so? Or should I try and get an A* for a level and still apply to them with AAA for now? As, I don’t think I have time to do an epq as were going camping this summer as lockdown has lifted. Will I regret not doing it?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Char, 6th form
Thanks for your advice!
I’m not in clearing, as I’m in year 12. However I’d never thought of that, just of the competitition for these unis. I have done a civil engineering summer school and structural/ civil/ architecture/urban design summer school but have not done any engineering related specific experience, so do you also think I should do an EPQ or something like that to strengthen my application even so? Or should I try and get an A* for a level and still apply to them with AAA for now? As, I don’t think I have time to do an epq as were going camping this summer as lockdown has lifted. Will I regret not doing it?

I think aim for A* if you can get it as gives you more choices. However, check university entry requirements. EPQ is also good but I think getting good A Levels helps more. However, check with admissions as they will know more.
Original post by 161BMW
I think aim for A* if you can get it as gives you more choices. However, check university entry requirements. EPQ is also good but I think getting good A Levels helps more. However, check with admissions as they will know more.

The entry requirements are A*AA so I’ll be applying with AAA unless I do an epq with an A too which is what they require if you have AAA.
Reply 6
The entry requirements are A*AA so I’ll be applying with AAA unless I do an epq with an A too which is what they require if you have AAA.

Then do which ever you find easier whether AAA and EPQ or A*AA as from what you say they both meet the entry requirements. Check out Bath and Loughborough open day though both are very good.
Original post by 161BMW
Then do which ever you find easier whether AAA and EPQ or A*AA as from what you say they both meet the entry requirements. Check out Bath and Loughborough open day though both are very good.

I don’t think I’ll find doing an epq easier this summer as were going away but am not sure if I could get and A* so I don’t know whether to even apply. Loughborough is ABB so I think I’ll get in there though
I’m interested in doing a form of engineering- love the sounds of Bath and Warwick but am a grade below entry. I have AAA but need A*AA. I heard Loughborough is good for engineering/ industrial design and Brunel, (Sheffield?) but am not really sure because they’re not Russel groups and I haven’t heard of them before. Bath offers a foundation year( don’t know about Warwick ).

I am super creative but am trying to decide between civil, mechanical, material and Industrial engineering/design.

Alternatively I was looking at Glasgow (gsa and uog joint) for product design engineering and UAL for product design (but is non scientific so I think I’d want it to be more engineering focused?)

Hi there,

I am a current Bath student, so hopefully I can help on things to do with student life.

As you've said, Bath is amazing for engineering so I don't really need to add anything there! Bath isn't a Russell Group uni, but it ranks the same, if not higher, than most Russell Group unis so it's clearly a good choice :smile: Bath and Warwick are both pretty similar unis as they are both campus based unis in small cities, but (based on my experience at Bath and my brother's experience at Warwick) I'd say the main distinction is general student life. Bath's student life, i.e. nightlife, extracurricular stuff and sports is apparently better than Warwicks, and Bath is really close to Bristol if you wanted more of a city-vibe and better nightlife sometimes. They're pretty similar, so it really depends on your personal preference with regards to student life and night life.

Glasgow will be quite a bit different to Loughborough, Warwick and Bath as Glasgow is a far bigger city, so it'll be a lot better for nightlife, shops etc.

I am not an engineering student, so the only thing I could suggest is to look at the unit catalogues for the different universities' courses to see what content is taught, and thus figure out which course has the content that suits your interested the most.

I hope this has helped,
Jessica, a final year NatSci student
Reply 9
If you're interested in engineering but have slightly lower grades, doing a foundation year at Bath could be a good option. Loughborough and Brunel are also good for engineering and industrial design, even though they're not in the Russell Group. Additionally, you may explore Online Master's in Industrial Engineering programs, which offer flexibility and convenience while still allowing you to pursue your engineering interests. Glasgow for product design engineering and UAL for product design could be interesting alternatives to consider as well.

Hi @Char, 6th form,

It's great to hear that you're interested in studying at Loughborough University :smile:

I would definitely recommend looking at all of our engineering courses and viewing the entry requirements for them - you can do this here.

You can also visit this page to read up about our subject areas and see the facilities.

The universities you've mentioned are in very different parts of the UK, so I would definitely factor that in when considering which ones to choose. You may also want to consider the types of campus that each university offers. Loughborough University's 523 acre single-site campus has great facilities for all students.

We have some open days coming up in September and you can find out more about these here. Alternatively, here's a video of a campus tour of Loughborough.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please do let me know.

- Lindsay
(edited 9 months ago)

Latest