marketingmillie
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm due to start my A levels in September and I know that I'm going to take 4 A levels, at least to start off with, but my family are putting pressure on me to do one subject as my 4th option, whereas I want to do a different subject.
I'm 100% going to do maths, further maths and product design, but my family want me to do chemistry as my 4th subject but I'd much rather do drama and theatre. I was reasonably good at chemistry at GCSE level and should hopefully get a 7 or 8 in it, as long as nothing too surprising occurs. I haven't studied any formal qualifications in drama, but I love watching plays and musicals and I'd much rather do drama than chemistry-which I never particularly enjoyed.
Thing is, my family are all really academically gifted, both my parents did mathsy/sciencey things at Oxford for their degrees, and so did everyone else in my family (although not all at Oxford!) and my older sister is currently doing a maths degree of her own.
I'm not very outgoing at all and I hate causing conflict, so I don't want to upset my parents any more than I have done already (I'm very different to everyone in my close family in my interests and identity, so they're already pretty upset at me for breaking their idea of a perfect 'daughter') but I don't know whether I should go with the safe option of chemistry and keep my parents happy or go for drama and follow what I'd rather do personally.

If anyone has any advice, it'd be very appreciated!
Hmmm7
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by marketingmillie)
I'm due to start my A levels in September and I know that I'm going to take 4 A levels, at least to start off with, but my family are putting pressure on me to do one subject as my 4th option, whereas I want to do a different subject.
I'm 100% going to do maths, further maths and product design, but my family want me to do chemistry as my 4th subject but I'd much rather do drama and theatre. I was reasonably good at chemistry at GCSE level and should hopefully get a 7 or 8 in it, as long as nothing too surprising occurs. I haven't studied any formal qualifications in drama, but I love watching plays and musicals and I'd much rather do drama than chemistry-which I never particularly enjoyed.
Thing is, my family are all really academically gifted, both my parents did mathsy/sciencey things at Oxford for their degrees, and so did everyone else in my family (although not all at Oxford!) and my older sister is currently doing a maths degree of her own.
I'm not very outgoing at all and I hate causing conflict, so I don't want to upset my parents any more than I have done already (I'm very different to everyone in my close family in my interests and identity, so they're already pretty upset at me for breaking their idea of a perfect 'daughter') but I don't know whether I should go with the safe option of chemistry and keep my parents happy or go for drama and follow what I'd rather do personally.

Do what YOU want cause it’s your future and happiness you don’t want to regret it! your parents will be proud of you regardless. Trust me on this if your doing something to make others happy it’s not worth the pain and I’m sure you family will understand over time
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The thing is - universities will ignore your 4th A level. It sounds like you'll drop the subject anyway (which I'd recommend). I'd definitely do your three + Drama. It doesn't even matter if you do Chem or Drama, since it'll be overlooked. Unless you want to apply for Chemistry or something requiring the A level, it doesn't matter whatsoever.
gurupet
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by marketingmillie)

Hi, if you have an idea of what you want to study at university, it would be good to base your choices on that. Otherwise choose the subjects that you're interested in. You're already taking double maths which is a feat in itself. You're parents only want what's best for you, but at the end of the day it should be your decision to make. Hope this is of some help.
megfrn
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Universities only want 3 a-level grades, they will most likely completely ignore your 4th. Chemistry is extremely hard and requires so much attention and if you don't enjoy it, and you're doing maths, you are better off without it. Universities also don't normally care about what you do your subjects in, unless they ask for subject specific grades. You are not your parents and you'll thank yourself in the future for going with your gut and doing what you want to do. You will not benefit from your parents opinions. If you enjoy drama, absolutely go for it.
Purple2000
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, I am a parent, totally understand what they think. Try to explain to them on your interest, if you really not want Chemistry then don't to that, the purpose of taking this subject is for your parents, how about your job in future? You cannot always do something they want you to do. Of course, parents always give you a good plan for your future that make your life easier. Encourage you to discuss with them, good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (117)
25.43%
Better than expected (93)
20.22%
Worse than expected (250)
54.35%

Watched Threads