The Student Room Group

Temporary contract confusion

Hi so I’m working at CO-OP right now, after having just finished uni and needing some money coming in. This was actually my old supermarket job but they changed from Budgens to CO-OP. I have read my contract but nowhere does it explain what a temporary contract entails, I think it means they can keep me on as long as required and for as long as the business needs me. The manager said to me I don’t have any holiday entitlement as it’s 0 hour contract and I won’t get paid for time off. Anyone able to offer any other info on this? Cheers
(edited 3 years ago)
Are you in the U.K.?

Temporary and zero hour contracts are bound by the same holiday policies as “normal” contracts and thus are entitled to roughly 12% of their yearly hours to be paid holiday. (Full time for 1 year would be about 28days holiday) so no matter if you are temporary or in a zero hour contract you are entitled to some paid holiday-how much is worked out by how many hours you do on average and how long you’ve worked there.
Reply 2
Temporary means temporary. It can (and usually is) be a contract for a pre determined amount of time. (1 month; 3 months; 6 months; 12 months etc)

There's a zero-hour contract which is something different.

You will get some sort of holiday as a worker/employee (two different things). Generally on a zero hours/casual contract you accrue holiday based on the hours you work. Whenever you want to take holiday, you just don't work shifts and take the holiday pay :smile:

Usually around 12.7% of your hours worked.
Original post by GabiAbi84
Are you in the U.K.?

Temporary and zero hour contracts are bound by the same holiday policies as “normal” contracts and thus are entitled to roughly 12% of their yearly hours to be paid holiday. (Full time for 1 year would be about 28days holiday) so no matter if you are temporary or in a zero hour contract you are entitled to some paid holiday-how much is worked out by how many hours you do on average and how long you’ve worked there.

Yes I’m UK based, but just never had a temporary contract before. I’ve done 36 hours so far.
Original post by FRS500
Temporary means temporary. It can (and usually is) be a contract for a pre determined amount of time. (1 month; 3 months; 6 months; 12 months etc)

There's a zero-hour contract which is something different.

You will get some sort of holiday as a worker/employee (two different things). Generally on a zero hours/casual contract you accrue holiday based on the hours you work. Whenever you want to take holiday, you just don't work shifts and take the holiday pay :smile:

Usually around 12.7% of your hours worked.

Yeah I thought that not sure why he said I was on zero hours then, thanks
Original post by RandomTennisfan
Yeah I thought that not sure why he said I was on zero hours then, thanks

You can have a temporary zero hours contract. The temporary usually (but not always) means there is a fixed term or end day and the zero hours means they are not obliged to give you anything week to week.
If you have only done 36houras then you are only eligible for about 4hours holiday pay currently which they won’t give you a full day for. If you were to leave the position now though they would have to pay you that 4 hrs on your last pay check. You chocks have some sort of contract/employee handbook that will set out your entitlements but as a legal U.K. law they need to give you paid holiday.
Original post by GabiAbi84
You can have a temporary zero hours contract. The temporary usually (but not always) means there is a fixed term or end day and the zero hours means they are not obliged to give you anything week to week.
If you have only done 36houras then you are only eligible for about 4hours holiday pay currently which they won’t give you a full day for. If you were to leave the position now though they would have to pay you that 4 hrs on your last pay check. You chocks have some sort of contract/employee handbook that will set out your entitlements but as a legal U.K. law they need to give you paid holiday.

Yeah I do have an employee handbook but just haven’t come across the temporary contract in, thanks for your help though it’s been really useful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending