Watch
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Pinkisk)
The video was weird in that the rockets appeared to bore their way out of the ground through sand, which according to the commenter is a first of its kind in the public domain.It was really weird, because there was no hole or anything...the rockets pushed their way out of what looked like solid ground and sand..
Oh sorry thats what you meant. Hmm somewhat rarer, cant say ive heard of that one before.
Do you have a link to that particular video?
Pinkisk
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
Oh sorry thats what you meant. Hmm somewhat rarer, cant say ive heard of that one before.
Do you have a link to that particular video?
DiddyDec
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I would imagine there is an operational reason why no other countries bury their missiles.

It does seem like a waste of time since once you have fired you can't scoot off to somewhere safe and you have given your position away.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Oh if this is the thing im thinking of the Iranians are known to have built large caverns with a quasi missile factory in them which fire through special silos built in them (think like Hitlers plans for his V2)
As Diddy noted though not exactly the best tactic if you dont want someone to simply drop a bunker bust on them. Although they're handy for nominally hiding them from passing prying eyes. Not good for much more than a few shots before they get whacked though.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
Oh if this is the thing im thinking of the Iranians are known to have built large caverns with a quasi missile factory in them which fire through special silos built in them (think like Hitlers plans for his V2)
As Diddy noted though not exactly the best tactic if you dont want someone to simply drop a bunker bust on them. Although they're handy for nominally hiding them from passing prying eyes. Not good for much more than a few shots before they get whacked though.
You wouldn't even need a bunker buster, a hellfire would probably sort it out since it will have to be pretty close to the surface to fire. A bunker buster would be like dropping a MOAB to destroy a mud hut.
Napp
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by DiddyDec)
You wouldn't even need a bunker buster, a hellfire would probably sort it out since it will have to be pretty close to the surface to fire. A bunker buster would be like dropping a MOAB to destroy a mud hut.
In fairness to the Iranians i'd be very surprised if they hadnt bothered to harden the facilities - although i am assuming that these are the underground missile bunkers and not just burying a scud in a ditch
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Napp)
In fairness to the Iranians i'd be very surprised if they hadnt bothered to harden the facilities - although i am assuming that these are the underground missile bunkers and not just burying a scud in a ditch
They could well have just done it for propaganda, like Hitler and his "Cathedral of Light".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (41)
41%
Take autumn exams (37)
37%
Look for a job (2)
2%
Consider an apprenticeship (3)
3%
Take a year out (12)
12%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
5%

Watched Threads