The Student Room Group

Iran blasts dummy US aircraft carrier with missiles

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Pinkisk
The video was weird in that the rockets appeared to bore their way out of the ground through sand, which according to the commenter is a first of its kind in the public domain.It was really weird, because there was no hole or anything...the rockets pushed their way out of what looked like solid ground and sand..

Oh sorry thats what you meant. Hmm somewhat rarer, cant say ive heard of that one before.
Do you have a link to that particular video?
Original post by Napp
Oh sorry thats what you meant. Hmm somewhat rarer, cant say ive heard of that one before.
Do you have a link to that particular video?

Original post by Pinkisk

I would imagine there is an operational reason why no other countries bury their missiles.

It does seem like a waste of time since once you have fired you can't scoot off to somewhere safe and you have given your position away.
Reply 23
Original post by Pinkisk

Oh if this is the thing im thinking of the Iranians are known to have built large caverns with a quasi missile factory in them which fire through special silos built in them (think like Hitlers plans for his V2)
As Diddy noted though not exactly the best tactic if you dont want someone to simply drop a bunker bust on them. Although they're handy for nominally hiding them from passing prying eyes. Not good for much more than a few shots before they get whacked though.
Original post by Napp
Oh if this is the thing im thinking of the Iranians are known to have built large caverns with a quasi missile factory in them which fire through special silos built in them (think like Hitlers plans for his V2)
As Diddy noted though not exactly the best tactic if you dont want someone to simply drop a bunker bust on them. Although they're handy for nominally hiding them from passing prying eyes. Not good for much more than a few shots before they get whacked though.

You wouldn't even need a bunker buster, a hellfire would probably sort it out since it will have to be pretty close to the surface to fire. A bunker buster would be like dropping a MOAB to destroy a mud hut.
Reply 25
Original post by DiddyDec
You wouldn't even need a bunker buster, a hellfire would probably sort it out since it will have to be pretty close to the surface to fire. A bunker buster would be like dropping a MOAB to destroy a mud hut.

In fairness to the Iranians i'd be very surprised if they hadnt bothered to harden the facilities - although i am assuming that these are the underground missile bunkers and not just burying a scud in a ditch :tongue:
Original post by Napp
In fairness to the Iranians i'd be very surprised if they hadnt bothered to harden the facilities - although i am assuming that these are the underground missile bunkers and not just burying a scud in a ditch :tongue:

They could well have just done it for propaganda, like Hitler and his "Cathedral of Light".

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending