Feeling lonely

Watch
Alexnewtz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I’m a 20 year old female with a rare disease that resulted in a mild facial deformity, scoliosis, and a very short (my doctor even used the word “tiny”) torso. I feel I look very disproportionate. I’m very short so I look way younger than my age. Unfortunately, the only attention I get from men is from the creepy ones who probably think I’m underaged. I’m very self conscious and have social anxiety. I even find myself overthinking about what I’m saying and find it hard to pronounce certain syllables. (Like... what). Maybe I just need some socializing but I feel like I have no hope for a significant other. Does anyone else have a deformity/syndrome that makes them self conscious? If so, how do you feel good about being the way you are? Also, reach out to me.
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I have a disability that has caused me some issues in terms of feeling self-conscious. It's difficult but I think it mainly comes down to acceptance.

If you wanna discuss anything, you're welcome to drop me a message.
sundayblues
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi I also have scoliosis, a 'tiny' torso, and social anxiety, and I'm very self-conscious. I also overthink everything and can't pronounce words. Fun times.

How bad is your scoliosis? Mine makes me feel so ugly but I don't think people actually realise you have it. Unless ofc it's very bad and you're really slumped over or something. I'm guessing scoliosis makes you look like you have a small torso, bc when I stand up straight it looks normal sized, but I have a wide rib cage aswell so it looks extra weird When I look at myself with tight/no clothes on, it does honestly make me so sad, like why me? No one else I know has it, so it makes me feel like an outsider kinda. So I just wear baggy clothes 24/7. If you stand up straight constantly it might help a bit lmao, but you can't really do much about it besides surgery. It doesn't help that no one knows what scoliosis actually is in my area (dk about urs) so when I tell people, they go "ewwwww your spine is bent what is wrong with you", proceed to feel my rib hump.. "that feels so weird why is it like that can you fix it you're so unlucky" etc.. Which sucks, but they're uneducated.

With your social anxiety, are you okay with one-on-ones or is it every social situation you can't handle? I think you should try talking to one person at a time, that's what's helped me a bit. I'm still awful with large group situations, but not as bad I used to be as I have started talking to people individually.

Overthinking can't be helped, everyone does. But I understand with social anxiety aswell that makes it a lot worse in a lot of situations. I always overthink what I'm saying, but when you've said things it's always fine afterwards. When I was in school I couldn't answer questions in class, it was so bad I had to speak to all my teachers about it and say 'do not ask me questions', and this was in sixth form. I felt so childish asking them lol, but my teachers sucked so they picked on me more. Whenever I answered a question, I'd go bright red, pronounce the EASIEST words really wrong, start sweating and shaking, and couldn't swallow. It didn't help that my classmates stared at me for being a weirdo. When do you mispronounce words - infront of lots of people or just in any situation?

But you can msg me if you want, I'm younger than you lol so you've probs been in more situations then I have so I might not have as much advice, but we are pretty similar looking at what you've written
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (71)
67.62%
I don't have everything I need (34)
32.38%

Watched Threads