The Student Room Group

Mature student

Excuse my ignorance here as I’m a mature student who has never been to university.

I want to study a BA in Social Work I had planned to start the access course in September ready for a 2021 entry. However I have noticed the course I want has gone into clearing for this year.

Is it worth me applying even though I don’t meet the academic entry requirements. I have a lot of experience in the field through my working experience and life experience. I’m pretty confident I could write a good personal statement ect.

If I apply but get rejected would it ruin my chances for next year?
Original post by Jsoc
Excuse my ignorance here as I’m a mature student who has never been to university.

I want to study a BA in Social Work I had planned to start the access course in September ready for a 2021 entry. However I have noticed the course I want has gone into clearing for this year.

Is it worth me applying even though I don’t meet the academic entry requirements. I have a lot of experience in the field through my working experience and life experience. I’m pretty confident I could write a good personal statement ect.

Not getting in this year won't necessarily ruin your chances for next year. However in this case it would be important to improve your academic qualifications in the meantime.

Alternatively, I would recommend considering an online provider such as the Open University (@Open Uni). We have worked in partnership with them for decades and they promote accessibility of higher education. They offer BA in Social Work but the entry requirements may be different to other universities (http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/social-work/degrees/ba-social-work-england-q32#entry-requirements). Applications for the February 2021 start date close on 6th August.

Best wishes,
Charlotte
I believe it's definitely worth applying. As you have experience, this will trump qualifications, at least seems likely given the field it is ... Good luck.

Hope this helps. All you need to do is ring and ask them directly and they'll happily explain your options
Original post by Jsoc

Hey Jsoc,

I would definitely recommend applying, you have nothing to lose. It won't affect your chances next time if you don't get onto the course.

Depending on the field of study, the experience can be more important than what qualifications you've got.

Social Media Intern
Hi,

That's exactly what I did! I was planning on doing an access course for this year and start in 2021 but I applied through clearing at the end of August and was accepted onto the BA social work degree.

Hope everything worked out for you. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending