Allen0101
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I want to go to the gym but I am very shy. What can I do for that?
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Which bit are you shy about, getting changed in front of people or exercising in front of people?

People don't go to the gym for a chat so they'll pretty much leave you alone.

I would advise against going to a gym so soon after they've reopened though. See how well their social distancing measures do first.
Allen0101
Rep:
?
(Original post by ThomH97)
Which bit are you shy about, getting changed in front of people or exercising in front of people?

People don't go to the gym for a chat so they'll pretty much leave you alone.

I would advise against going to a gym so soon after they've reopened though. See how well their social distancing measures do first.
I am shy to exercise in front of others. Yea I ll check it , everyone wants to go now
Hazelly
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Nobody is going to judge you (or at least, the majority won’t). Those who want to exercise will be too busy focusing on their own body rather than someone else’s! Try out the gym and see how it goes
Dublin Boii
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
First of all, you need to tell yourself that most people who are new to the gym will be in the same situation as yourself. They are unsure of what they're doing and are afraid to be judged or made fun of. I was in that spot for a long time but once I made the first step and entered the gym, I gained more confidence and the feeling gradually faded away. Most people are there to workout and they will respect the fact that you've dragged your ass to the gym to improve yourself which is an achievement in itself.

It's important to do some preliminary research before entering the gym though. As always, youtube is a valuable resource when it comes to learning proper form for various exercises. Also, if you're unsure about certain exercises, you can always ask some gym bros or some of the coaches. They will be happy to help you out, however, bear in mind that the coaches primary goal is to sell their personal coaching and may not be too inclined to help you out unless you want to purchase their program. Another thing to remember: gym regulars, who have been training for a long time, are dying to offer their advice. If a novice approaches them for tips, they will be proud to feel like someone thinks they're good enough to ask for advice. Don't be afraid to ask. Just don't interrupt them in a middle of a set. Wait till they're resting or chatting with someone to approach them. Also, stay away from the ******* gym bros. They are easy to identify and you will feel a natural sense of repulsion towards them.

As to picking a gym, you need to go there and enquire about their facilities and ask them to give you a tour. Some gyms provide towels, soap, shampoo, some have saunas, etc. You can plan accordingly and bring your equipment (towel, soap, padlock, training gloves, skipping rope etc.). As to wearing gym clothes before you go, it's up to you. Are you planning on working out immediately after joining? Most decent gyms will have lockers and changing rooms so you don't necessarily have to show up in your gym attire. To answer your question about gym attire, again it's up to you. Training shoes and socks are a must but you can be flexible on the pants (long/short), tshirt (short sleeve/long sleeve/no sleeve), comfortable underwear, etc.

Here are a few guidelines on how to act normal: show up, have a good idea on what workout you're doing on that day, write it down if necessary (beginner routines are easy to come by), put on your earphones, lift some weights, rest in between. If someone is using the equipment that you wish to use, you can either ask them how many sets they have left or you can request to share or train in between their sets. Don't ogle at women with a thirsty look (if you're a guy). Re-rack the weights and wipe down the machines after use. Do not grunt excessively. Do not indulge in ego lifting as 99% of the time, you will injure yourself. The remaining 1%, you will look like a damn fool. Take it slow. Ask for advice if you're unsure of something. Here are some templates: “hey man, I've never tried this (insert name of exercise) before. Can you teach me?”, “what does this exercise help develop”, “what exercises do you do to get bigger arms/legs/chest”, “I get this weird pain when I perform this exercise, do you have a similar experience? What advice can you give me to fix it?”.

I know it's hard to join a gym by yourself. It's an unfamiliar environment and although having a friend may make the experience easier, it's not always a good thing. You will be dependent on someone else to do this activity and might be inclined to skip or even stop if your friend is irregular. Going by yourself may be daunting but it helps to build self-confidence and self-discipline. If you stick to it for long enough, later, you will find that no matter where you are in life, you can join any gym and keep yourself fit without relying on anyone else.
Allen0101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hazelly)
Nobody is going to judge you (or at least, the majority won’t). Those who want to exercise will be too busy focusing on their own body rather than someone else’s! Try out the gym and see how it goes
Thanks
Allen0101
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dublin Boii)
First of all, you need to tell yourself that most people who are new to the gym will be in the same situation as yourself. They are unsure of what they're doing and are afraid to be judged or made fun of. I was in that spot for a long time but once I made the first step and entered the gym, I gained more confidence and the feeling gradually faded away. Most people are there to workout and they will respect the fact that you've dragged your ass to the gym to improve yourself which is an achievement in itself.

It's important to do some preliminary research before entering the gym though. As always, youtube is a valuable resource when it comes to learning proper form for various exercises. Also, if you're unsure about certain exercises, you can always ask some gym bros or some of the coaches. They will be happy to help you out, however, bear in mind that the coaches primary goal is to sell their personal coaching and may not be too inclined to help you out unless you want to purchase their program. Another thing to remember: gym regulars, who have been training for a long time, are dying to offer their advice. If a novice approaches them for tips, they will be proud to feel like someone thinks they're good enough to ask for advice. Don't be afraid to ask. Just don't interrupt them in a middle of a set. Wait till they're resting or chatting with someone to approach them. Also, stay away from the ******* gym bros. They are easy to identify and you will feel a natural sense of repulsion towards them.

As to picking a gym, you need to go there and enquire about their facilities and ask them to give you a tour. Some gyms provide towels, soap, shampoo, some have saunas, etc. You can plan accordingly and bring your equipment (towel, soap, padlock, training gloves, skipping rope etc.). As to wearing gym clothes before you go, it's up to you. Are you planning on working out immediately after joining? Most decent gyms will have lockers and changing rooms so you don't necessarily have to show up in your gym attire. To answer your question about gym attire, again it's up to you. Training shoes and socks are a must but you can be flexible on the pants (long/short), tshirt (short sleeve/long sleeve/no sleeve), comfortable underwear, etc.

Here are a few guidelines on how to act normal: show up, have a good idea on what workout you're doing on that day, write it down if necessary (beginner routines are easy to come by), put on your earphones, lift some weights, rest in between. If someone is using the equipment that you wish to use, you can either ask them how many sets they have left or you can request to share or train in between their sets. Don't ogle at women with a thirsty look (if you're a guy). Re-rack the weights and wipe down the machines after use. Do not grunt excessively. Do not indulge in ego lifting as 99% of the time, you will injure yourself. The remaining 1%, you will look like a damn fool. Take it slow. Ask for advice if you're unsure of something. Here are some templates: “hey man, I've never tried this (insert name of exercise) before. Can you teach me?”, “what does this exercise help develop”, “what exercises do you do to get bigger arms/legs/chest”, “I get this weird pain when I perform this exercise, do you have a similar experience? What advice can you give me to fix it?”.

I know it's hard to join a gym by yourself. It's an unfamiliar environment and although having a friend may make the experience easier, it's not always a good thing. You will be dependent on someone else to do this activity and might be inclined to skip or even stop if your friend is irregular. Going by yourself may be daunting but it helps to build self-confidence and self-discipline. If you stick to it for long enough, later, you will find that no matter where you are in life, you can join any gym and keep yourself fit without relying on anyone else.
You gave me strength. Thank you so much !
Hazelly
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Allen0101)
Thanks
No problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (192)
33.28%
Receiving them online / by email (289)
50.09%
I still don't know (96)
16.64%

Watched Threads