The Student Room Group

Is having a menatal health condition considered by unis?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Char, 6th form
Even if I don’t exactly meet the entry requirements? What if I did my epq in year 13? Could I then apply in 2020 for the contextual with an A in epq? Idk

I'm not sure about the actual applying but yes, depending on the uni, sometimes they'll still accept if you don't quite meet the offer requirements and you have extenuating circumstances.
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
I swear they only consider mitigating circumstances for resitting A-levels. Contextual is usually if you have a bursary, or free school meals, or if your parents have a low income or you live in a low income neighbourhood. Mitigating circumstances consider mental health, and other circumstances that may have lead you to underperform but, you'd need evidence such as doctor notes, or school letters, and Uni's consider that on a case by case basis.

Ok thanks. I don’t think that would be relevant anyway under the circumstances anyway seeing as though we didn’t sit any exams
Original post by bones-mccoy
I'm not sure about the actual applying but yes, depending on the uni, sometimes they'll still accept if you don't quite meet the offer requirements and you have extenuating circumstances.

Ah I see. In scraping by just to meet the contextual offer though, so I don’t think I’ll realistically get a place at the university? Therefore I don’t know whether to apply or just spare the pressure
Original post by Char, 6th form
Ok thanks. I don’t think that would be relevant anyway under the circumstances anyway seeing as though we didn’t sit any exams

Yes, exactly.

It would only really be relevant if you had sat the exam, or had underperformed, obviously they will take in account any mental health conditions/health conditions or learning disabilities, had you had clarified it when you registered on the UCAS website, maybe then Universities would have been alerted, because I swear they do ask you when you initially apply to unis whether you have any conditions, you need to clarify, I don't think that changes their entry requirements, I think it's just declaration!
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
Yes, exactly.

It would only really be relevant if you had sat the exam, or had underperformed, obviously they will take in account any mental health conditions/health conditions or learning disabilities, had you had clarified it when you registered on the UCAS website, maybe then Universities would have been alerted, because I swear they do ask you when you initially apply to unis whether you have any conditions, you need to clarify, I don't think that changes their entry requirements, I think it's just declaration!

Yes I think it’s so they can help you adjust to uni better and support you

Quick Reply

Latest