My gap year so far... Watch

kcfch
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Im just starting a gap year with a large company but Ive had to move away from home. Its only been 2 weeks, but im already not enjoying it. I dont like the fact that Im away from home (which is why next year, Im applying to many London unis so i can be nearer home) and also the job Ive got isnt what i asked for. Im in a technical role which mean programming and coding etc. whereas I asked for sale, marketing or finance in London. so basically i havent got either the location or job that i wanted and im already upset over it. i dont really know what to do... i was tihnking of asking if i can transfer to london but i dont think thats easy because theyll want good reasons and i dont know if this is good enough really :/ please help me!
mrs_bellamy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by kcfch)
Im just starting a gap year with a large company but Ive had to move away from home. Its only been 2 weeks, but im already not enjoying it. I dont like the fact that Im away from home (which is why next year, Im applying to many London unis so i can be nearer home) and also the job Ive got isnt what i asked for. Im in a technical role which mean programming and coding etc. whereas I asked for sale, marketing or finance in London. so basically i havent got either the location or job that i wanted and im already upset over it. i dont really know what to do... i was tihnking of asking if i can transfer to london but i dont think thats easy because theyll want good reasons and i dont know if this is good enough really :/ please help me!
If you really want to transfer to London you might aswell ask, the worst they can do is say no. Maybe speak them about the job issue aswell. If that's not possible I'd say give it a while longer, most people find it hard being away from home at first but if you keep going you will get used to it, and may start to enjoy it. I'm working away from home at the moment and hated it at first, I was so close to going home, but now I'm having a great time and absolutely love the freedom. People often underestimate how hard it is leaving home and how long it can take to settle into a place.
kcfch
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by mrs_bellamy)
If you really want to transfer to London you might aswell ask, the worst they can do is say no. Maybe speak them about the job issue aswell. If that's not possible I'd say give it a while longer, most people find it hard being away from home at first but if you keep going you will get used to it, and may start to enjoy it. I'm working away from home at the moment and hated it at first, I was so close to going home, but now I'm having a great time and absolutely love the freedom. People often underestimate how hard it is leaving home and how long it can take to settle into a place.
Thanks for the reply. I will talk to them about it and see what they say. The problem with moving out is that ive moved to a much smaller, quieter town in england and this is a large jump for London. I just dont feel like I can settle in here when theres not much for me to do, and also, my friends who are also here live quite far away from me so weekends are spent alone
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (257)
26.88%
No (699)
73.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise