Lemonpie77
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Is it likely? I have had a 20 year career in industry and no experience in the classroom. I have written (around mid-July) to a couple of Schools to ask for the opportunity to observe a class or two but have had no response, probably because it is the holidays.

Do you think it is likely that I will be able to observe any classes before October given the situation with Covid?

My UCAS PGCE application will need to be sent in for October so I am really hoping it will be possible.
Last edited by Lemonpie77; 2 weeks ago
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Lemonpie77)
Is it likely? I have had a 20 year career in industry and no experience in the classroom. I have written (around mid-July) to a couple of Schools to ask for the opportunity to observe a class or two but have had no response, probably because it is the holidays.

Do you think it is likely that I will be able to observe any classes before October give. Then situation with Covid?

My UCAS PGCE application will need to be sent in for October so I am really hoping it will be possible.
I think it is unlikely schools will be keen to have extra adults in during the first part of the autumn term, for lots of reasons.

You know October is when PGCE applications open- not when they close? You'd be better off waiting, maybe getting some volunteer experience with the age group you want to teach, maybe getting some experience in schools later on in the term, and applying later on in the application cycle with a stronger application.
Lemonpie77
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
I think it is unlikely schools will be keen to have extra adults in during the first part of the autumn term, for lots of reasons.

You know October is when PGCE applications open- not when they close? You'd be better off waiting, maybe getting some volunteer experience with the age group you want to teach, maybe getting some experience in schools later on in the term, and applying later on in the application cycle with a stronger application.
Hi there,

Thanks so much for your advice. I completely agree and I know that the applications open in October. My concern is that the spaces may fill early and I might miss out. Do you know when the application deadlines tend to be please? Am I wrong in assuming that applications close early if there are a high number?

Thanks again.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi there,

Thanks so much for your advice. I completely agree and I know that the applications open in October. My concern is that the spaces may fill early and I might miss out. Do you know when the application deadlines tend to be please? Am I wrong in assuming that applications close early if there are a high number?

Thanks again.
Unis do close courses when they are full, but apart from very small SCITT courses, this won't usually happen before around Easter, and most courses will have spaces much later than that. Unis know people will apply throughout the year, and won't fill spaces early unless they get lots of really good applicants at that stage.

When I did my PGCE, I know people who got accepted onto the course as late as June- but it is harder for people to be accepted after this due to the time needed to get health forms/DBS checks etc done!

In general, if you have a weak application, I think you are actually better off applying a bit later to courses that still have spaces, as if you apply early, admissions tutors may assume that better applicants will come along later. But obviously it's best to have a strong application!

Which subject/age group are you applying for?
Lemonpie77
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
Unis do close courses when they are full, but apart from very small SCITT courses, this won't usually happen before around Easter, and most courses will have spaces much later than that. Unis know people will apply throughout the year, and won't fill spaces early unless they get lots of really good applicants at that stage.

When I did my PGCE, I know people who got accepted onto the course as late as June- but it is harder for people to be accepted after this due to the time needed to get health forms/DBS checks etc done!

In general, if you have a weak application, I think you are actually better off applying a bit later to courses that still have spaces, as if you apply early, admissions tutors may assume that better applicants will come along later. But obviously it's best to have a strong application!

Which subject/age group are you applying for?
Yes, you make perfect sense, thank you. I will be applying to teach Computer Science (20yrs in industry and a 2.1 BSc (hons) in Computer Science). I am qualified with my degree and experience, etc but I absolutely need to Get some classroom experience to tighten up my application. Thank you so much for your advice.
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes, you make perfect sense, thank you. I will be applying to teach Computer Science (20yrs in industry and a 2.1 BSc (hons) in Computer Science). I am qualified with my degree and experience, etc but I absolutely need to Get some classroom experience to tighten up my application. Thank you so much for your advice.
CompSci is a shortage subject, so it's very unlikely courses will fill up quickly. Your industry experience will be a massive plus, but having some classroom experience will prove you know what you're letting yourself in for in terms of teaching!

Good luck!
Always_Confused
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I know someone who applied for a PGCE in Computer Science last week to start in September. If you apply in October when applications first open, you will not have to worry about places running out.
In terms of school experience, go on the Get Into Teaching website. They may be able to get you a placement/advise what you can do to get some experience.
Given the Covid-19 situation though, the DfE requirements for award of a PGCE have been altered so I would assume universities will also be less stringent with their application processes and given school's may not want more adults in the building than necessary, many training providers will understand if you can't get a placement. Contact the training providers you're interested in and see if they're willing to accept applicants who were unable to get any prior school experience.
Lemonpie77
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thank you both, it is really encouraging to read your replies 😊 Much appreciated. I shall definitely look at getting help from the ‘Get in Teaching’ website.
username5359312
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
When applying to my PGCE, observations were a necessity. For a lot of institutions this is no longer a specified requirement so bare that in mind.

I applied to the PGCE in July (quite late) and sent off letters to primary and secondary schools. As a result I asked to observe schools in September.

With the current climate, I very much doubt there will be lots of opportunities to observe classroom teaching during the first term of the next academic year. There are so many unknowns and risks as it is. That being said, lots of schools enjoy inviting prospective teachers to observe.

Your PGCE course providers will be understanding if you can't garner observational experience as a direct result of COVID-19.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (7)
4.79%
Confident (14)
9.59%
Indifferent (15)
10.27%
Unsure (33)
22.6%
Worried (77)
52.74%

Watched Threads