Transfer students Watch

cdeu12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong subforum. I was wondering if it's possible to transfer to a different university straight into the second year after having studied for a year at a different one. In my case, I'll be going to a local uni since I'm still 17, and don't want to move away from home until I'm 18. I've accepted my place and everything, and know that some other unis offer the same course as I'll be doing (law/politics).

Obviously I'll have to research if they accept transfer students, but I hope to deal with that when I come to it. What I'm asking is: how does the process work? I'm guessing it isn't through UCAS .. cos I'll be contacting a uni individually. Do I just email admissions? And then.. do they tell me whether or not I'm accepted and send me info on the uni etc.? When do you advise I contact the uni. Help much appreciated from anyone on this forum who has done this.
Aimai
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by cdeu12)
Apologies in advance if this is in the wrong subforum. I was wondering if it's possible to transfer to a different university straight into the second year after having studied for a year at a different one. In my case, I'll be going to a local uni since I'm still 17, and don't want to move away from home until I'm 18. I've accepted my place and everything, and know that some other unis offer the same course as I'll be doing (law/politics).

Obviously I'll have to research if they accept transfer students, but I hope to deal with that when I come to it. What I'm asking is: how does the process work? I'm guessing it isn't through UCAS .. cos I'll be contacting a uni individually. Do I just email admissions? And then.. do they tell me whether or not I'm accepted and send me info on the uni etc.? When do you advise I contact the uni. Help much appreciated from anyone on this forum who has done this.
Hi,

I think you have to contact admissions before you apply to see if they would consider you or if they have space. You could explain your reasons for wanting to transfer then.

I do think you have to go through ucas- I am 'techincally' a transfer student as I did two months then suspended due to illness and withdrew to go to a uni close to home (the opposite of you!). However, I am only going into year 1 so it may be different. There's a box on ucas though where you type the year of the course and I definately was told from Sussex, that all students had to apply through UCAS.

It's worth pointing out that courses, even if they have the same title, differ massively- especially as you are a joint honours (the modules you study may be completely different). Therefore, if you enjoy your course and get to know the people on it, you may want to consider to stay. You can always move out in your second year anyway (I intend to).

I would advise that you wait a few months to see if you like your course or not before you apply for a transfer. Plus, I suppose it would look like you gave it a shot. It may be worth researching courses in detail to see if the modules match.

I hope this helps and it works out for you. Out of interest, what uni are you at and what unis do you want to apply to?
cdeu12
Rep:
?
Thanks for the response. What if I were to ring up admissions, say, the summer before the academic year? How would I then apply through UCAS? - when did you do it. Would I not need a PS/reference etc. or would it be a separate process. I wouldn't mind contacting admissions and starting from scratch in year 1, is that a possibility? I am thinking of going to Manchester or Cardiff, whilst at the moment I'm all set to go to Keele Uni for Law with Politics. If I enjoy the course I may well stay - my situation is a bit more complex which I will explain to admissions. Thanks for the good wishes!
cdeu12
Rep:
?
bump!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18

Do you like exams?