The Student Room Group

my body is being so stupid, idk what to do???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by physicsamor
I was on the same ferrous fumate dosage absolutely hated it, gave me the worst headaches in the entire world. Lasted a week and gave up. I'm still alive so. Apparently there's a liquid solution that's better for you and actually works with minimal side effects.

Can't comment on the vitamin d as never taken it.

I also have tried those thing where the vitamin is in a drink and that helps too obviously not prescription strength though.

omg my headache is actually worse than usual too. but i always get headaches so it's impossible to tell if the supplement is too blame, lmao. the liquid solution can apparently stain your teeth, so it's a risk i can't take : o thanks for trying to help tho.
Ngl I usually take my supplements with food or I vomit (100% of the time) not ideal, but it's better than puking them out with my other medication.

I hope you feel better soon!
Original post by Ciel.
you never know, hopefully it will go away if i ignore it for long enough, lol. thanks x

Only way it will go away if you deal with the problem head on and seek any further help from your GP.

Its not going away on it on as need you to eat things that will help you get this sorted out.
Original post by Ciel.
is that so. let's hear it.

Okay well my aunt was iron deficient and it was severe. She also had other serious vitamin deficiencies as well. She was in a terrible state. And after around 6 months, the one thing that made her well again and healthy. One thing! Only one, Okay maybe more, but mainly only one. Kind of Was.......:ninja:

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Pathway
Ngl I usually take my supplements with food or I vomit (100% of the time) not ideal, but it's better than puking them out with my other medication.

I hope you feel better soon!

yeah, i'll need to start taking them with food, too. to hell with their advice, lol. thank you <3
Original post by Allyson90
Only way it will go away if you deal with the problem head on and seek any further help from your GP.

Its not going away on it on as need you to eat things that will help you get this sorted out.

i'll give the tablets another try for now, a smaller dose and not an empty stomach :<
Reply 45
Original post by BaileysOnTheRock
Okay well my aunt was iron deficient and it was severe. She also had other serious vitamin deficiencies as well. She was in a terrible state. And after around 6 months, the one thing that made her well again and healthy. One thing! Only one, Okay maybe more, but mainly only one. Kind of Was.......:ninja:

Spoiler

i don't believe in homeopathy, tbh. glad it worked for your aunt tho.
Original post by Ciel.
yeah, i'll need to start taking them with food, too. to hell with their advice, lol. thank you <3

i'll give the tablets another try for now, a smaller dose and not an empty stomach :<

<3 You're welcome. I hated taking ferrous fumerate and that D3 capsule thing (I was severely deficient). So completely understand, still, it's not uncommon even in "regular" supplements! lol.
Original post by Ciel.

Yes do that as you can take upto three times a day but take them as said early in morning after breakfast and late on in the evening say after tea okay .
It will take few weeks to sort out but you should feel slightly better if you take them
Original post by Ciel.
i don't believe in homeopathy, tbh. glad it worked for your aunt tho.

Why not? Don't knock it till you try it.
I don't know much on these things, as I do not think I normally experience dietary problems. But I found this online:
https://www.eatright.org/health/wellness/preventing-illness/iron-deficiency

You can get a good idea just from a google search to be honest.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ciel.

Listen. Forget about tablets, you don't need tablets. What you need is good solid food. You don't have the privilege to be a "picky eater". About Eww broccoli is so yucky! I don't get it, if you are able to open your mouth for other meaty substances, that isn't edible. Why not open your mouth for food that is actually good for you, do you have an issue with swallowing?
Listen. Forget about tablets, you don't need tablets. What you need is good solid food. You don't have the privilege to be a "picky eater". About Eww broccoli is so yucky! I don't get it, if you are able to open your mouth for other meaty substances, that isn't edible. Why not open your mouth for food that is actually good for you, do you have an issue with swallowing?

With regards to supplements, they often contain the right amount of a specific vitamin or mineral that you want, hence why we use them. Nonetheless, I am against the use of supplements that do not contain organic, vegan and natural ingredients. The supplement I recommended for Vitamin D3 was the Vegan D3 chewable from Garden of Life UK. That supplement contains only organic and natural substances, and so it will be absorbed naturally within the body. There are no artificial substances within it. In addition to that, it contains 2000IU of D3, which is 500% of the RDA. You would have to eat an inconsumable amount of specific foods in a day to get your vitamin and mineral intake, hence the use of supplements. I hope the information I gave helped you in some way.
Reply 52
Original post by Pathway
<3 You're welcome. I hated taking ferrous fumerate and that D3 capsule thing (I was severely deficient). So completely understand, still, it's not uncommon even in "regular" supplements! lol.

glad you're doing better now.
Original post by Allyson90
Yes do that as you can take upto three times a day but take them as said early in morning after breakfast and late on in the evening say after tea okay .
It will take few weeks to sort out but you should feel slightly better if you take them

i really hope so.
Why not? Don't knock it till you try it.

because it doesn't work, according to most studies.
Original post by NonIndigenous
I don't know much on these things, as I do not think I normally experience dietary problems. But I found this online:
https://www.eatright.org/health/wellness/preventing-illness/iron-deficiency

You can get a good idea just from a google search to be honest.

yeah i just don't get how do they calculate stuff. e.g. if one cup of raw spinach = 80g of iron then i'd need... 6? it's a mystery, lol

other meaty substances, huh, i see what you did there 🙈 i don't have an issue with swallowing, no. none.
Original post by Ciel.
yeah i just don't get how do they calculate stuff. e.g. if one cup of raw spinach = 80g of iron then i'd need... 6? it's a mystery, lol

I never bother measuring. Just eat spinach for snacks until you start turning green, then you know you've probably had enough.
Reply 54
Original post by NonIndigenous
I never bother measuring. Just eat spinach for snacks until you start turning green, then you know you've probably had enough.

okay. :h:
Original post by Fermion.
@Nutritionist could you please help the OP with any suggestions on how they can incorporate more iron in their diet? I've given the basics but I'm sure you're more knowledgeable on this. Sorry I keep tagging you in this stuff but you're so helpful and I also have the same issue :redface: also I think OP is a vegetarian.

No worries @Fermion. always happy to help :smile:

Firstly, I can’t give you any medical advice on tablets or your symptoms. I’d suggest speaking to your GP about the side effects.

What I can do is tell you how incorporate more iron and vitamin D.

For vitamin D, a short walk in the sun is really all you need. If you’re looking for meat free foods containing it then soy milk and fortified cereals are your best bet. If you eat fish then oily fish like salmon, mackerel etc have it in high amounts.

For iron - meat free sources are beans, lentils, potatoes, cashews and dark green leafy veg like spinach and kale.
Reply 56
Original post by Nutritionist
No worries @Fermion. always happy to help :smile:

Firstly, I can’t give you any medical advice on tablets or your symptoms. I’d suggest speaking to your GP about the side effects.

What I can do is tell you how incorporate more iron and vitamin D.

For vitamin D, a short walk in the sun is really all you need. If you’re looking for meat free foods containing it then soy milk and fortified cereals are your best bet. If you eat fish then oily fish like salmon, mackerel etc have it in high amounts.

For iron - meat free sources are beans, lentils, potatoes, cashews and dark green leafy veg like spinach and kale.

thank you <3
Original post by Ciel.
thank you <3

According to Cronometer, you would need this amount of each of the foods that were recommended by @Nutritionist to get your RDA of iron, which is 8.0mg:
- 300g of spinach.
- 500g of kale.
- 125g of lentils (raw weight).
- 10 medium-sized sweet potatoes.
- 125g of cashews.
- 375g of kidney beans.

In general, I recommend taking an iron supplement for convenience. I advise you take the Plant Iron and Herbs supplement from Garden of Life UK. The reason I recommend this company exclusively is because they are the best in the market. For a 240ml liquid supplement, you take 10ml daily, meaning you get 24 servings. Each serving contains 10mg of iron, which should be enough for your needs. The 240ml liquid supplement costs £23. This means each serving costs around £0.96, or £6.72 a week. The supplement also contains other required vitamins as a bonus. It only uses organic, natural substances, meaning it will be easily absorbed into the body. You should not experience any side effects with it. As with vitamin D, I recommended a supplement for that before. A walk in the sun is not enough for your required vitamin D amount, especially during the winter season, as well as days without adequate sunlight.

I hope this information helps.
Original post by sang-jun
According to Cronometer, you would need this amount of each of the foods that were recommended by @Nutritionist to get your RDA of iron, which is 8.0mg:
- 300g of spinach.
- 500g of kale.
- 125g of cashews.
- 375g of kidney beans.

In general, I recommend taking an iron supplement for convenience. I advise you take the Plant Iron and Herbs supplement from Garden of Life UK. The reason I recommend this company exclusively is because they are the best in the market. For a 240ml liquid supplement, you take 10ml daily, meaning you get 24 servings. Each serving contains 10mg of iron, which should be enough for your needs. The 240ml liquid supplement costs £23. This means each serving costs around £0.96, or £6.72 a week. The supplement also contains other required vitamins as a bonus. It only uses organic, natural substances, meaning it will be easily absorbed into the body. You should not experience any side effects with it. As with vitamin D, I recommended a supplement for that before. A walk in the sun is not enough for your required vitamin D amount, especially during the winter season, as well as days without adequate sunlight.

Just to clarify - I would also recommend iron and B vitamin supplementation on a vegetarian/vegan diet. I was just highlighting what her best options were without the supplements.
Reply 59
Original post by sang-jun
- 300g of spinach.
- 500g of kale.
- 125g of cashews.
- 375g of kidney beans.

woah, that's more than i eat in a week, lol
Original post by Nutritionist
Just to clarify - I would also recommend iron and B vitamin supplementation on a vegetarian/vegan diet. I was just highlighting what her best options were without the supplements.

*his 🙈
thanks again, i appreciate your advice

Quick Reply

Latest