Zerefina
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'll be going to university in 2021 for a pharmacy course, and I'm not sure if I need a good laptop.
I have a laptop that I've been using for 2 and a half years and it freezes sometimes (hp intel i3). Is it ok to keep using this laptop or should I buy a new laptop when the time comes, and what processor would be good enough?

And on top of the laptop, should I also buy a pc? I've been wanting to build a pc for a while now but I've never found a good reason or opportunity to do so (don't want to waste money on something if I don't ACTUALLY need it). Is one good laptop enough or is it worth buying a nice pc too?

Thank you in advance
Zerefina
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
I actually don't know what kind of software I would be using for my course (I really should know, I'll go find out now). I do want to do quite a bit of gaming that would require a higher end pc but I wouldn't mind just getting a handheld console (which is probably what I'd do). Thank you for the advice
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
You don't need a desktop unless you're doing gaming or other high-performance tasks like CAD, editing, etc. You should have room for one though.

I brought a desktop to uni for gaming - I don't use a laptop. (for my subject, notes are usually done paper/pen) Have coped fine.
_gcx
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zerefina)
I actually don't know what kind of software I would be using for my course (I really should know, I'll go find out now). I do want to do quite a bit of gaming that would require a higher end pc but I wouldn't mind just getting a handheld console (which is probably what I'd do). Thank you for the advice
I assume you mean a Nintendo Switch - library would definitely be more limited than PC. (possibility to expand if say xCloud actually comes to Switch, if not there's a possibility to jailbreak and use a service like that) But it'd be less of a hassle to move.
Zerefina
Rep:
(Original post by _gcx)
I assume you mean a Nintendo Switch - library would definitely be more limited than PC. (possibility to expand if say xCloud actually comes to Switch, if not there's a possibility to jailbreak and use a service like that) But it'd be less of a hassle to move.
I guess the main game I really want to play is league, and pretty much anything can run that. And yes I was talking about a switch, the main thing I'm worried about is price, so I think a PC may not be an option (if I do end up getting a good laptop). Thank you for the advice
Zerefina
Rep:
I think I would prefer to get a pc over a gaming laptop because I really wanted to try build a pc, especially if I'm going to have a laptop anyway for student use. I'm also very reclusive, I doubt I'll be going outside of my room apart from for lectures and practicals, so I don't need something portable for gaming I guess.
saifkiddan
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
it depends on what you want it for. In case for gamming then there is no other better choice.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (13)
9.15%
Okay (42)
29.58%
A bit lacking (50)
35.21%
Not good at all (37)
26.06%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed