The Student Room Group

MA/PGDip

Currently doing an MA English Lit and my average (I think) is 61. The profile of marks is messed up because I have mitigating circumstances for one of the assessments. Have a dissertation due in 3 months which, tbh, nothing in me wants to do it. I wanted to do certain topics but was told they were not suitable etc etc and was led into a topic that I don't like. Therefore, I doubt I would get a merit for it. I'm wondering if it's better to accept the PGDip at merit grade or go for the MA and get a pass. I don't need the MA for my career.

Edit: Because my profile of marks is messed up and my assessment mark for mitigating circumstances is at 0 (because it's due next month), my average is showing at 46 atm. Therefore, I am not quite sure what mark I will get for this assessment. It's been hell and the tutor is so iffy with marking.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
MA Pass. Postraduate classification/grades are irrelevant if you want them for job - even less if you don't even need the qualification for your career. Therefore, a Master's of any kind will probably look a little better on your CV than a PGdip (which is fine too). No need to mention Pass either (after a few years of job experience it would be of little help to mention even a distinction - If you had one).
Original post by HallieMarie
Currently doing an MA English Lit and my average (I think) is 61. The profile of marks is messed up because I have mitigating circumstances for one of the assessments. Have a dissertation due in 3 months which, tbh, nothing in me wants to do it. I wanted to do certain topics but was told they were not suitable etc etc and was led into a topic that I don't like. Therefore, I doubt I would get a merit for it. I'm wondering if it's better to accept the PGDip at merit grade or go for the MA and get a pass. I don't need the MA for my career.

Edit: Because my profile of marks is messed up and my assessment mark for mitigating circumstances is at 0 (because it's due next month), my average is showing at 46 atm. Therefore, I am not quite sure what mark I will get for this assessment. It's been hell and the tutor is so iffy with marking.

I know people who did both a full MA and ducked out at PgDip level - the latter either didn't want to complete any research, had already had enough of academia by that point, or had a job offer waiting for them. Tbh I don't know what class of PgDip they left with, so I don't know if that qualification helped them in the long run.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending