Is it worth going to uni or should I look for an apprenticeship?

Watch
Gent2324
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Abbie1311)
So I need to start an apprenticeship that is level 3 even if I’ve done nothing like accounting before? Because I think there’s about 2 in my area but they’re only about £150 a week which is awful. That’s the thing with my area there’s not many good apprenticeships. The apprenticeship I just found is called ‘cummins’ it’s actually not a small company if you searched the website it’s quite good.

I really need to do more research. What is the big 4? And there’s no apprenticeships like that mainly just aat
https://www.google.com/search?q=what...hrome&ie=UTF-8
nkav
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm was in the same predicament when I received my A levels results in 2019. I didn't want to go to university as I wanted to pursue a marketing apprenticeship but although I had some experience, did some online training that I could show on my CV, I wasn't fortunate enough to get one as there were more experienced candidates, etc.

I didn't really sort out what I was going to do in the 'gap year' while I was applying to apprenticeships and going to interviews so I really was stuck at home and working part-time in a store.

With the virus, there are fewer apprenticeship opportunities so I decided to go to Uni this year for marketing. Make of my experience what you will, but I think that it is worthwhile going to university for a degree/ future career that you like. If you find a part-time job when you are in Uni + the student maintenance loan I'm sure you will be fine with the £130 costs + accommodation.
Last edited by nkav; 1 week ago
Abbie1311
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by nkav)
I'm was in the same predicament when I received my A levels results in 2019. I didn't want to go to university as I wanted to pursue a marketing apprenticeship but although I had some experience, did some online training that I could show on my CV, I wasn't fortunate enough to get one as there were more experienced candidates, etc.

I didn't really sort out what I was going to do in the 'gap year' while I was applying to apprenticeships and going to interviews so I really was stuck at home and working part-time in a store.

With the virus, there are fewer apprenticeship opportunities so I decided to go to Uni this year for marketing. Make of my experience what you will, but I think that it is worthwhile going to university for a degree/ future career that you like. If you find a part-time job when you are in Uni + the student maintenance loan I'm sure you will be fine with the £130 costs + accommodation.
We’re pretty much in the same boat then although I just realised I put the wrong exam board for my college results so I thought I had 152 but I actually have 64 tariff points so I’m abit stuck with what to do now. I could go do another level 3 but in aat accounting during my 2nd gap year.

I do hope it all works out for me Cos it’ll be a good experience
mhealevels2020-1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeh you really need to do your research like NOW if you’re serious about an accounting apprenticeship.

In terms of options for apprenticeships there’s a lot, especially for accounting. There’s great websites such as rate my apprenticeship where you can read about people’s experiences.

In terms of the big 4 they are 4 of the largest accounting firms globally consisting of EY, PwC, Deloitte and KPMG. They all have variations of similar service lines and all offer various school leaver routes.

However, I will say from experience these are competitive so if you’re serious about applying for you make sure you are prepared.

Alternatively, there will be apprenticeships offered by local or mid tier accounting firms which are potentially more accessible.

Research which aspects of accounting which interest you the most and see if they’re are apprenticeships which correlate to this. Furthermore, it will be worth a commute to a larger company for your apprenticeship, I will be doing the same as I’m from a northern city.

Also, it doesn’t matter if you have little experience in finance and accounting this isn’t something firms and/ or the Big 4 expect of candidates.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Abbie1311
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by mhealevels2020-1)
Yeh you really need to do your research like NOW if you’re serious about an accounting apprenticeship.

In terms of options for apprenticeships there’s a lot, especially for accounting. There’s great websites such as rate my apprenticeship where you can read about people’s experiences.

In terms of the big 4 they are 4 of the largest accounting firms globally consisting of EY, PwC, Deloitte and KPMG. They all have variations of similar service lines and all offer various school leaver routes.

However, I will say from experience these are competitive so if you’re serious about applying for you make sure you are prepared.

Alternatively, there will be apprenticeships offered by local or mid tier accounting firms which are potentially more accessible.

Research which aspects of accounting which interest you the most and see if they’re are apprenticeships which correlate to this. Furthermore, it will be worth a commute to a larger company for your apprenticeship, I will be doing the same as I’m from a northern city.

Also, it doesn’t matter if you have little experience in finance and accounting this isn’t something firms and/ or the Big 4 expect of candidates.

Hope this helps, good luck!
Yeah I mean I’ve liked it for a few months but didn’t think seriously of it until fairly recently so I will definitely do research.

The closest city to me would be Newcastle which would be an hour drive. Don’t think I could be up early enough and pay for petrol/trains all the time but it may be worth a look.

Thank you for the help
ICAEW Careers
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Abbie1311)
For a while I’ve wanted to do an accounting apprenticeship and had two interviews with no luck. All the apprenticeships give you a qualification that’s equivalent to A level or GCSE which I’ve already got.

I’ve got no experience in accounting so i was thinking of doing a level 2 accounting course and then apply for uni in 2021.

My only doubts are I have a car that costs £130 a month (4 years left) plus petrol, phone etc so will I be able to afford this with just a uni loan or do I need to keep my 16 hour a week job?
Hi Abbie1311,

Thanks for showing an interest in accountancy and apprenticeships.

ICAEW Apprenticeships are level 4 and level 7, which is equivalent to a foundation (level 4) or a masters (level 7) degree.

It is a great way to earn while you learn and gain valuable experience on the job and in the profession.

Take a look at the latest apprenticeship opportunities on our ICAEW Training Vacancies platform.

If you have any further questions you can contact us on [email protected].

Best wishes,
ICAEW
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the rest of the UK follow the Scottish Results changes announced?

Yes they should (178)
58.75%
No they should not (90)
29.7%
Abstain (35)
11.55%

Watched Threads