The Student Room Group

Laptop for pharmacy

I'm planning on doing pharmacy in 2021 (Reading hopefully). Is it ok to just make notes on paper or is a laptop required for other things? And what kind of software would you be using?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:
Paper is fine, laptop is fine. It's whatever you prefer. I'm going into 2nd year Pharmacy at Portsmouth and I use both my Macbook and a notepad. You won't be required to use any specific software on your laptop, but you'll most likely use some different softwares and programs on the university PC's.
Reply 2
Original post by YellowCurryNinja
Paper is fine, laptop is fine. It's whatever you prefer. I'm going into 2nd year Pharmacy at Portsmouth and I use both my Macbook and a notepad. You won't be required to use any specific software on your laptop, but you'll most likely use some different softwares and programs on the university PC's.

I see! Thank you so much, that's very helpful :smile:
Reply 3
I’ve invested in an iPad for university next year. I’ve also bought an Apple Pencil with it so I can hand write my notes and take pictures of diagrams during lectures. I think it’s a good investment and you can purchase a separate third party keyboard or the Apple certified one to type your notes if you want to! Also in pharmacy there’s going to be a lot of diagrams and I reckon drawing them out myself would be easier to remember! Hopefully it’ll be safe to go to the lecture hall once we start in September hopefully
Reply 4
Original post by nyiiim
I’ve invested in an iPad for university next year. I’ve also bought an Apple Pencil with it so I can hand write my notes and take pictures of diagrams during lectures. I think it’s a good investment and you can purchase a separate third party keyboard or the Apple certified one to type your notes if you want to! Also in pharmacy there’s going to be a lot of diagrams and I reckon drawing them out myself would be easier to remember! Hopefully it’ll be safe to go to the lecture hall once we start in September hopefully

I was literally JUST looking into an iPad for university! However, I've heard others say that you might need to use certain programs like adobe which don't work on iPad. I'm hoping that my current laptop will last through uni so I can get an iPad as well >.<
Reply 5
Original post by Zerefina
I was literally JUST looking into an iPad for university! However, I've heard others say that you might need to use certain programs like adobe which don't work on iPad. I'm hoping that my current laptop will last through uni so I can get an iPad as well >.<

Personally, I have both an iPad and a laptop so I feel like they work hand in hand and I like to handwrite my notes, but that's just my preference! That's true certain apps don't work as well on an iPad in comparison to a desktop laptop, so I'm keeping a laptop but for lectures, I might take my iPad around with me!
Original post by Zerefina
I'm planning on doing pharmacy in 2021 (Reading hopefully). Is it ok to just make notes on paper or is a laptop required for other things? And what kind of software would you be using?

Thanks in advance :biggrin:

Hey @Zerefina,

It's great to hear you'd love to come to Reading! I'm a third year student at the University of Reading. In the first term of first year I originally began writing my notes on paper and I found that there was too much content to continue to handwrite my notes so personally I do type all of them and I do think a large proportion of MPharm students do type their notes purely for speed. I personally use Word but I do know some people use notes I believe (whichever is the Apple equivalent).

Hope this helps and feel free to let us know if you have any other questions!😊
From,

Amina
Reply 7
Original post by UniofReading
Hey @Zerefina,

It's great to hear you'd love to come to Reading! I'm a third year student at the University of Reading. In the first term of first year I originally began writing my notes on paper and I found that there was too much content to continue to handwrite my notes so personally I do type all of them and I do think a large proportion of MPharm students do type their notes purely for speed. I personally use Word but I do know some people use notes I believe (whichever is the Apple equivalent).

Hope this helps and feel free to let us know if you have any other questions!😊
From,

Amina

thank you! that's very helpful :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending