Driving a car, moped, or motorbike

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi.

I’m 18 years old and have autism and dyspraxia. I’ve been having driving lessons for a year and am not even close to being ready for my driving year in a manual car. My parents spent loads of money on this but I hate driving and don’t feel safe doing so, and if I did pass I would actively avoid driving.

Would an automatic car be easier to drive? I’ve looked into getting a moped license, maybe a motorbike, and wondered if this is possible, just to get myself to and from uni and work. I know that mopeds are cheaper than cars and would find that beneficial.

Does anyone have any experience driving with either conditions or even without them, driving an automatic car or a moped or motorbike? I’m really worried about this and have to have a meeting with my parents and driving instructor to discuss if it’s worth me driving a car, as I’m also terrified that I will kill someone or crash and cost thousands to repair the car or someone else’s car.

Thank you in advance!
Advertisement
Anonymous #1
Bump
Anonymous #1
Please
Advertisement
CarMad
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's quite a niche topic so I wouldn't expect many replies. My brother has Dispraxia and you could see the fear in his face everytime you mentioned driving.

He has recently got back into learning and has found an Automatic easier, he's also sat in a higher up car which might help. I think he just needs to take his time and not pressure himself.

Not much more than that I can help with I'm afraid. You just need to try it and see if it works for you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (142)
37.08%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.59%
Look for a job (12)
3.13%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.44%
Take a year out (67)
17.49%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
6.27%

Watched Threads