The Student Room Group

Online MSc Artificial Intelligence - University of Bath

Hey folks,

I thought i'd start this thread for the Online MSc Artificial Intelligence - University of Bath course starting this September:

https://online.bath.ac.uk/online-courses/msc-artificial-intelligence

I'm enrolled in this cohort and would like to connect with any others who are also.

I'll try to provide updates as we go along about how the course is going.

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
That's really great, I am strongly interested in applying in January and would love to get some insights about the course :smile:

How was the process of demonstrating your maths and programming capabilities for you?
Reply 2
Hey thanks for creating this thread! :smile: I’m interested in this course too and thinking to apply to one of the cohorts next year. I’ll need to practice maths and programming, I did A level maths but want to make sure I’m up to speed!

What are you guys’ backgrounds and what made you choose the course?

I did linguistics undergrad and I’m interested in learning natural language processing, speech and language recognition in computers and maybe other things in AI I don’t know about yet :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Krood
That's really great, I am strongly interested in applying in January and would love to get some insights about the course :smile:

How was the process of demonstrating your maths and programming capabilities for you?

For me this was fairly straightforward as they ask for evidence of linear algebra and calculus. My background is in Acoustic Engineering and I have an MSc that was strongly theoretical, so had a lot of maths and physics content. I've also done some online courses which they also accept as evidence in some cases. Imperial's Mathematics for Machine Learning and deeplearning.ai's courses - all on Coursera - are excellent in my opinion. I've found the admissions team to be extremely helpful, so it would be worth contacting them with any queries you have re your background and entry requirements.

I'm looking for a career change, so have decided to invest in this course, given Bath's good name. I hope it lives up to it.
Reply 4
Here is the link to the webinar on the MSc AI course in case anyone’s interested. I think it’s really good they do these, I found it really helpful:

https://youtu.be/fDN7hO97vX8
The course does look very interesting, although as its completely new so it would be interesting for currently enrolled students to provide some feedback on their experiences of the course when it becomes available in the next month or so.
I know it's only been 2 days since the course started, but any initial thoughts so far?
Reply 7
Here's unit descriptors for anyone interested in this course.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by void*
Here's unit descriptors for anyone interested in this course.

Wow looks like an interesting first assignment!
Reply 9
I got accepted to the Msc in AI programme starting Sept '21. Very excited and look forward to sharing my feedback.
Reply 10
Hey Mikful, thanks for starting this thread. What are your thoughts on this program so far? like that of the difficulty level, time management, teaching quality being an online offering etc. Please let us know your thoughts and reviews if any. Thanks.
Reply 11
anyone on the course who can give us some idea of the assignments on each module and how the course has been so far. It would be highly appreciated.
Reply 13
Current MSc AI (Online) Student here and answering a few questions for you here:

Assignments are hard.

Most of the time, it is not clear what they are asking for, as there is no marking scheme.

There are three assignments per module, and every module runs for two months

It is a "taught" Masters but there are no online classes, no interaction with other students.

What they write: "A commitment of around 12–15 hours of study per week is anticipated for most students."
Reality: 18 to 24 hours per week, as you not only have to read the study material/books but also work on the assignments.
Another student mentioned in the forum that he/she spent 80 hours on all three assignments.

What they write: "Tailored to fit your lifestyle, our online course is perfectly suited to individuals with full-time work and/or family commitments."
Reality: This programme is best studied full time. The people who wrote this curriculum have probably no background in distance learning.

This MSc is a disappointment as the program directors and curriculum managers have no prior background in distance learning. The current programme director (Ben) is a former (on-campus) AI Ph.D. student and most likely unfamiliar with distance learning.

There are too many very challenging assignments in a two-month block. Given that there is no marking scheme, how does a student know what is expected from him and how he/she will be graded?

I am disappointed that a university with such a good name and ranking can create such an abominable distance learning course.
Original post by mscola
Current MSc AI (Online) Student here and answering a few questions for you here:

Assignments are hard.

Most of the time, it is not clear what they are asking for, as there is no marking scheme.

There are three assignments per module, and every module runs for two months

It is a "taught" Masters but there are no online classes, no interaction with other students.

What they write: "A commitment of around 12–15 hours of study per week is anticipated for most students."
Reality: 18 to 24 hours per week, as you not only have to read the study material/books but also work on the assignments.
Another student mentioned in the forum that he/she spent 80 hours on all three assignments.

What they write: "Tailored to fit your lifestyle, our online course is perfectly suited to individuals with full-time work and/or family commitments."
Reality: This programme is best studied full time. The people who wrote this curriculum have probably no background in distance learning.

This MSc is a disappointment as the program directors and curriculum managers have no prior background in distance learning. The current programme director (Ben) is a former (on-campus) AI Ph.D. student and most likely unfamiliar with distance learning.

There are too many very challenging assignments in a two-month block. Given that there is no marking scheme, how does a student know what is expected from him and how he/she will be graded?

I am disappointed that a university with such a good name and ranking can create such an abominable distance learning course.

This is actually accurate, coming up to the end of module 2 now, and a bunch of people have complained on forums demanding videos

Can you please inform what its like after the second unit? Is unit 3 as poor as unit 2? Or are there any particular ones you can think of that were really bad?

I suppose you are on unit 7 or 8 by now by reading the comments, what sort of assignments are in units 7 + 8?

How does your cohort find it in terms of difficulty getting 70 or above in marks for things after the first 2 units?

Currently deciding whether i should pause the course

Thank you
Reply 16
Hello All

I signed up to start the course in May this year (2022). I have a science background but not programing. Just thinking of what to study in order to prep for it. Any suggestions?

I've enrolled in the intro to python course moocs at MIT and am looking at some maths courses also at MIT (online) in linear algebra and statistics and probability (intro).

Also, any advice on study groups? I'm in Australia so would be great to hear from people undertaking the course or about to start.

K
Reply 17
So you did eventually sign up to it?

Good luck!
Reply 18
Original post by mscola
So you did eventually sign up to it?

Good luck!

Yes I did and thank you. Also thanks for your comments above. At least I'm going into it with realistic expectations. I was thinking the other day as to how I'm going to fit an extra 24 hours into my week!
Reply 19
Hi. Just applied today for may 22 intake. Happy to connect

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending