The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Japanese studies

What learning utensils will we be required to bring- e.g. will we need to bring laptops into lessons, specific textbooks we need to buy etc?
Reply 1
Original post by Cakeman12
What learning utensils will we be required to bring- e.g. will we need to bring laptops into lessons, specific textbooks we need to buy etc?

Hey, just finished my first year doing Japanese at Sheff.
You’ll need:

-2B pencils*
We only use pencil in our lessons, we are told a 2B helps you to write Kana + Kanji better. I would recommend a mechanical pencil with some 2B refills so you don’t need to sharpen all the time, super cheap on amazon!
During intro week, Sensei*** will sell you a 2B pencil for 50p if you wish.

-Some sort of A4 paper holder like a poly pocket or a plastic folder/ hard folder.* **
ALL of our work, and I mean ALL of it, is given to us in paper. Every lesson is at least 2-4 sheets, so you’ll be carrying them around all day everyday. All the writing we do is on the sheets given, and we don’t use laptops in class because we’re not allowed to use internet for help (like EVER) and you’ll barely use a note book either.

- Basic Kanji Book Volume 1 & 2 (New Edition)
These books are ESSENTIAL. We learn from them and have a weekly Kanji test based on these books. However, these can only be brought from a website Sensei gives, along with a code for a discount since they are a bit pricey. I wouldn’t buy them anywhere else.

-Gridded Kanji Notebook*
(Or any form of gridded notebook) to use for practicing Kanji. They’re VERY important as the first few weeks of Kanji classes, sensei grinds your guts about them being perfect.
Sensei also sells proper Kanji notebooks in class, if you want some, on a first come, first served basis.

Quick note:
*These apply to Grammar, Practice and Kanji lessons only.

**Some of these things may change due to online/ distant learning because of Covid

***and yes, we must call them (insert last name) Sensei

Hope this helped! Any other questions, feel free to ask!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by kakepop
Hey, just finished my first year doing Japanese at Sheff.
You’ll need:

-2B pencils*
We only use pencil in our lessons, we are told a 2B helps you to write Kana + Kanji better. I would recommend a mechanical pencil with some 2B refills so you don’t need to sharpen all the time, super cheap on amazon!
During intro week, Sensei*** will sell you a 2B pencil for 50p if you wish.

-Some sort of A4 paper holder like a poly pocket or a plastic folder/ hard folder.* **
ALL of our work, and I mean ALL of it, is given to us in paper. Every lesson is at least 2-4 sheets, so you’ll be carrying them around all day everyday. All the writing we do is on the sheets given, and we don’t use laptops in class because we’re not allowed to use internet for help (like EVER) and you’ll barely use a note book either.

- Basic Kanji Book Volume 1 & 2 (New Edition)
These books are ESSENTIAL. We learn from them and have a weekly Kanji test based on these books. However, these can only be brought from a website Sensei gives, along with a code for a discount since they are a bit pricey. I wouldn’t buy them anywhere else.

-Gridded Kanji Notebook*
(Or any form of gridded notebook) to use for practicing Kanji. They’re VERY important as the first few weeks of Kanji classes, sensei grinds your guts about them being perfect.
Sensei also sells proper Kanji notebooks in class, if you want some, on a first come, first served basis.

Quick note:
*These apply to Grammar, Practice and Kanji lessons only.

**Some of these things may change due to online/ distant learning because of Covid

***and yes, we must call them (insert last name) Sensei

Hope this helped! Any other questions, feel free to ask!

Thank-you so much for the reply. Have you ever had to submit papers online for the course? Or were a majority of your assessments paper based ?
Reply 3
Original post by Cakeman12
Thank-you so much for the reply. Have you ever had to submit papers online for the course? Or were a majority of your assessments paper based ?

Hey, no worries!

For the core modules, only Exploring East Asia will you have lectures and seminars. So you will use some sort of online gateway to submit work like Turn It In, or email.
I would recommend using a laptop in lectures because you can also open up the slide that’s on the screen, on your laptop. Helps a TON!

However, for the Core Language modules we only have seminars and we only use paper.

(Seminars aren’t recorded, so if you miss any lesson, you’re left to decipher and understand the work on your own. Unless you book in with Sensei for a quick explanation.)

Every Friday we get 3 pieces of homework white, pink and green. The green homework is a text we must translate to Japanese, mark it ourselves (Sensei puts the answer online on a Monday), and give it in to her on a Tuesday along with a “diary” which she asks questions on how we are finding the grammar, what we found easy, how we can improve etc.
She looks through it and gives it back to us with some feedback on a Friday along with the new homework.

However, every 3 weeks, the Green homework is assessed and counts as a small percent of our mark. With this one, we don’t get a text to translate, we are just given a topic that we must write on using the grammar and vocab we learnt so far.
We use a green gridded sheet to do this homework and it is provided to us along with the homework.

All other assessments are exam based.
We are eXtReMeLy lucky because we get 8 exams every semester *cries in Japanese*
Oral, listening, Kanji and writing (writing being 3 hours long in Jan).
Japanese students don’t get a “reading week” unfortunately 😭 it’s mock exam week for us.

Also we have various “mini paper tests” every week, like listening, vocab and kanji tests so that Sensei can get a sense of how you’re getting on and if you’ve been studying etc.

So yes, mainly writing and a lot of work, but it’s worth it!
I just wanted to put everything out there so you have some clue of what to expect!

Hope this makes sense! 😭
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending