The Student Room Group

Irish student/Cambridge university

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rittergo
hi

Hi. Have you applied to Cambridge this year too. I am pretty nervous waiting for the result of my interview on 25th
Original post by Scuagaire
Hi. Have you applied to Cambridge this year too. I am pretty nervous waiting for the result of my interview on 25th

i wish you the very best man,I am currently in Junior Cert just trying to gather all the information i can get on oxford and cambridge, my main goal is cambridge scince they offer aerospace. I just joined this chat so i could get your advice as to how to go about college and univeristy :smile:
Reply 22

How did your interview go Scuagaire ?
Original post by camfess
How did your interview go Scuagaire ?

I was pretty happy tbh. Don't have long to wait now at least. Wish there was more certainty about the Leaving Cert and how we'll be graded. Have you applied for this year?
Reply 24
I was pretty happy tbh. Don't have long to wait now at least. Wish there was more certainty about the Leaving Cert and how we'll be graded. Have you applied for this year?

God No, I did my leaving cert so long ago that it's not funny.

But I came up to Cambridge as a student and never really left.
DM me if you've any questions.
Reply 25

Congrats Scuagaire,
I see you got an offer from the main applicants thread!

Good luck with the leaving cert, I'm sure you'll do great.

There's plenty of Irish lurking around Cambridge, even some GAA teams and everyone seems to come out of the woodwork on St Patricks Day for some of the most shocking drinking I've seen at Cambridge.
Aw thank you so much Camfess. If you don't mind I will dm you closer to the time assuming there will be in person teaching in October. I'm afraid I might be a disappointment when it comes to matters GAA etc. Appreciate the support!
Reply 27
Aw thank you so much Camfess. If you don't mind I will dm you closer to the time assuming there will be in person teaching in October. I'm afraid I might be a disappointment when it comes to matters GAA etc. Appreciate the support!

I feel you on the GAA front, well I was crap at all the sports lol

I hope there will be in-person this October. The current 1A students are a bit fed up and have just finished doing mock exams from home. They’ve at least had in person supervisions for a term and have enjoyed those. But they miss having a structured day going to lectures and really miss the practicals.

Given the speed of the vaccine rollout I’m really hoping for good news on the teaching front from summer onwards.
Original post by camfess
I feel you on the GAA front, well I was crap at all the sports lol

I hope there will be in-person this October. The current 1A students are a bit fed up and have just finished doing mock exams from home. They’ve at least had in person supervisions for a term and have enjoyed those. But they miss having a structured day going to lectures and really miss the practicals.

Given the speed of the vaccine rollout I’m really hoping for good news on the teaching front from summer onwards.

That's positive on the teaching front. We're back online here at school since Christmas and it is exhausting.
Hi guys, I am completely new to this room, i was wondering when should you apply for cambridge?
Hi guys, I am completely new to this room, i was wondering when should you apply for cambridge?

Hi. The closing date for application for Cambridge is usually 15th October, which means you really should be working on your personal statement etc over the summer and flagging your intention to apply to your school right at the beginning of the school year as your Pricipal/Career Guidance, or other designated staff member must write you a reference and gather your predicted grades from your subject teachers, so there is quite a bit involved.

What year are you in and what course is of interest?
Hi. The closing date for application for Cambridge is usually 15th October, which means you really should be working on your personal statement etc over the summer and flagging your intention to apply to your school right at the beginning of the school year as your Pricipal/Career Guidance, or other designated staff member must write you a reference and gather your predicted grades from your subject teachers, so there is quite a bit involved.

What year are you in and what course is of interest?

Hi Scuagaire, thank you so much for that, i had no idea that i had to get a reference from my subject teachers. Currently im in 3rd year and the mocks have just been postponed, i was advised that this was the right age that i should start looking towards what university i want, Cambridge really stood out to me as it offered Aerospace engineering, the course i am interested in.

I really want to know everything that i should do in order to have a solid chance of getting in Cambridge. Thanks again for the support, you guys are really helping me look in the right direction.

O yeah and i almost forgot, what in the world are these A levels???
(edited 3 years ago)
A levels are what the vast majority of UK students study from age 16 to 18. Generally 3, sometimes 4, subjects.
Original post by ReadingMum
A levels are what the vast majority of UK students study from age 16 to 18. Generally 3, sometimes 4, subjects.

I am currently in Ireland and i am taking advanced online coaching from an institute in India on Physics Chemistry and Maths till Leaving Cert, will that be able to substitute for A levels?
only Cambridge can answer whether they will accept that. It certainly demonstrates a keen interest in the subjects which is a good thing.
only Cambridge can answer whether they will accept that. It certainly demonstrates a keen interest in the subjects which is a good thing.

Thanks ReadingMum (beautiful name!!), are you also looking to apply to Cambridge? or have you already?
Thanks ReadingMum (beautiful name!!), are you also looking to apply to Cambridge? or have you already?

My daughter is there studying vet med
Hi would anybody have some sort of a list or something of what to get done in Secondary school for the admissions, because ive gone to all sorts of websites and videos but end up getting confused and having tons of unanswered questions. It would really help if i have a list of essential things that need to be done. I know the details and the main work is for me to get done but i just need an overall process. Thanks.
I suggest you check out the 'demystified' threads for your subject - they can be very helpful. I don't think there is one for aerospace yet but maybe take a look at the maths one:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6467624
Or the Oxford engineering one:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=88097612&highlight=Demystified%20aerospace
I suggest you check out the 'demystified' threads for your subject - they can be very helpful. I don't think there is one for aerospace yet but maybe take a look at the maths one:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6467624
Or the Oxford engineering one:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=88097612&highlight=Demystified%20aerospace

Hi ReadingMum, these really helped in my understanding, thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending