Friends and Gap Year Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I didn'tdo as well as I expected at AS and I can't apply to any of the unis I actually want to go to.

Currently I have a few friends and I'm woried about not having any friends while on a gap year.

My friends are going to be spread out as they are going to different places and all.

I am not a very outgoing person and i'm shy and not much of a clubbing person.

Should I just apply to 'lesser' unis or should I follow heart and apply when I know unis can base their decision on my grades?

Also my mum is a very traditional person in that sense and she has categoricaly refused my plan on taking a gap year so how do I get her to agree with my decision.

Thank you

Please keep anon
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
for my gap year I will be doing something within the Investment Banking field and I am worried I might not make friends as it usually takes me a while to get close to people and I might not be able to keep in touch with friends.
butterfly_girl_5
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
gap year
the worst case scenario is you have a miserable time
but 5, 10 years down the line, you will have had a much better time at uni because you were where you wanted to be, and you will have much better prospects- the place you get your degree could affect how easily you find work and how much you enjoy your job- basically the framework or your life- 1 year wont seem anything then

aside from that, you want to get a good grounding at A-level so you can make the necessary transition to develop the skills you need at uni-level to get a good degree- also very important wherever you go- and your miles more likely to achieve that if you are happy at your uni and know you'll have your hard work recognized because the uni is seen as a good one (and the teaching and general education there will generally be better, the better the university)

never let difficult parents affect your plan for your life 18 onwards- make this decision for you- ignore anything she says to try and talk you out of it- theres no good argument for going straight to a worse university where you dont want to be when you know you could have done better- do you always want to be looking back thinking 'what if?'?
she must be very conservative if she is totally against the whole idea of a gap year without even giving it a chance

thats the worst that could happen. You could always get a placement and meet other young people in your situation that way.
butterfly_girl_5
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
for my gap year I will be doing something within the Investment Banking field and I am worried I might not make friends as it usually takes me a while to get close to people and I might not be able to keep in touch with friends.
well there you go- thats 1 more friend than I have. Ive decided to live in germany to learn the language, and im totally on my own here in a foreign country. Ive been here since july and im still not making any new friends- the short explanation is that Im not with any organisation- which you will be if youre in a company all year. and even when there are times when youre not having fun, youre still earning money (i think) and even if you werent, getting some experience in the world of work is really invaluable and will stand you in very good stead at uni.
if all your friends are going to uni they will always come back during holidays- you'll be part of the life they'll look forward to at christmas,easter and summer- and you never know- some of them might have a really hard time at uni and not enjoy it and might be really glad to still have you as a friend- particularly if youre a friendly ear- someone they can turn to when everythings new whose not too busy with their own first year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (234)
27.3%
No (623)
72.7%

Watched Threads