Impact of Remote / Online Learning on Clinical Courses

Watch
ScotFarmVet
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Hi - I was wondering if any current vet med students in their later years (5th or 6th) had an opinion on the impact of Covid-19 on their clinical learning?
Specifically, do they think they will be up to the RCVS essential Day One Competencies when they graduate?

I would have thought that missing 4+ months hands-on training, plus the almost complete lack of proper EMS opportunities will have a major impact on ability to perform?
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Our lecturers have assured us day one competencies wise that our course (and I would infer from that all universities) must teach all day one competencies to a satisfactory level anyway - EMS may allow more proficiency of them to be gained but the actual RCVS day one competencies must be taught and attained within vet school itself for RCVS accreditation.
ScotFarmVet
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by TheWannabeFarmer)
Our lecturers have assured us day one competencies wise that our course (and I would infer from that all universities) must teach all day one competencies to a satisfactory level anyway - EMS may allow more proficiency of them to be gained but the actual RCVS day one competencies must be taught and attained within vet school itself for RCVS accreditation.
So one must therefore infer that day one competencies can be achieved without a fair amount of compulsory EMS and a decent portion of the final year face to face learning?
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by ScotFarmVet)
So one must therefore infer that day one competencies can be achieved without a fair amount of compulsory EMS and a decent portion of the final year face to face learning?
Yes - the chair of the vet schools council hosted an online meeting with the VDS for clinical years students and said that whilst EMS is useful for practising clinical skills to become more proficient in them - the actual skills required as day one competencies have to be taught by the university before you can graduate. Is online teaching as good as face to face? Absolutely not and should definitely be charged differently tuition fees wise. But if you’re still meeting the minimum requirement of achieving day one competency you’re still going to grad as a vet.

Look at vets qualifying in the midst of foot and mouth - many were recruited into the destruction of animals and certainly missed out on their ability to gain normal on farm experience. You haven’t heard of that year not being employed into farm practice because they lack the clinical ability of graduates the years before and after?

It’s not ideal but if anyone’s going to be able to overcome it then it’ll be vet students
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 22 hours ago
(Original post by ScotFarmVet)
Hi - I was wondering if any current vet med students in their later years (5th or 6th) had an opinion on the impact of Covid-19 on their clinical learning?
Specifically, do they think they will be up to the RCVS essential Day One Competencies when they graduate?

I would have thought that missing 4+ months hands-on training, plus the almost complete lack of proper EMS opportunities will have a major impact on ability to perform?
Undoubtedly Covid-19 will have a significant impact upon teaching but also assessment (eg; controlled exam conditions replaced by online, open book exams).

However, given that it takes a good 6-18 months to train most new graduates in practice I suspect Covid is unlikely to make that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things.

Practical and professional skills, and general practice, have been recognised as a weak area of veterinary teaching for quite some time. Unfortunately online lectures and tutorials are ineffective at addressing these areas (before and after Covid), and the burden has fallen on quality C-EMS placements and employers of new graduates to meet this shortfall.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How will you be receiving your results?

Going into school to pick them up (179)
33.33%
Receiving them online / by email (269)
50.09%
I still don't know (89)
16.57%

Watched Threads