Foundation year with no qualifications (Manchester)

Watch
sc2987
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
My partner moved around a lot in childhood as his dad was in the army. He moved part-way through his A-Levels and would have had to start them again as the new school used a different exam board/syllabus. So instead he left school and got a job, and has worked since (now mid-forties).

He can't take time off work to do an Access course or A-Levels as his (low) wage supports three of us and I am not working.

So can he get into university with no qualifications (other than GCSEs) at all? I suggested doing a Foundation Year, but the uni websites still say you need a certain number of UCAS points. I don't see the point in the Foundation Year if you still need the qualifications, when it's supposed to be for when you don't meet the normal entry requirements?

This is in Manchester, so he would be looking at either Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU) or the University of Manchester.

Has anyone successfully got onto a Foundation Year with either of these universities without any qualifications, and if so, which course?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by sc2987)
My partner moved around a lot in childhood as his dad was in the army. He moved part-way through his A-Levels and would have had to start them again as the new school used a different exam board/syllabus. So instead he left school and got a job, and has worked since (now mid-forties).

He can't take time off work to do an Access course or A-Levels as his (low) wage supports three of us and I am not working.

So can he get into university with no qualifications (other than GCSEs) at all? I suggested doing a Foundation Year, but the uni websites still say you need a certain number of UCAS points. I don't see the point in the Foundation Year if you still need the qualifications, when it's supposed to be for when you don't meet the normal entry requirements?

This is in Manchester, so he would be looking at either Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU) or the University of Manchester.

Has anyone successfully got onto a Foundation Year with either of these universities without any qualifications, and if so, which course?
Is open uni an option?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by sc2987)

A foundation year aims to bridge the gap for people who have got some Level 3 qualifications but not the right ones or not at the right level. So it is aimed at people who have taken A-levels and done poorly or maybe done arts A-levels but now want to study a science and so on.

For some courses, professional experience would be considered alongside qualifications, so it is worth talking to the unis and see what they say.

Otherwise, Open University may be an option, or doing qualifications part time.
sc2987
Rep:
?
He doesn't have any professional qualifications; he has had a series of different jobs, rather than a career.

Open University can't be funded with a normal undergraduate loan though, can it? He wouldn't be able to do it part-time while also working full-time. He'd have to leave work and do the course full-time to a) have the time/energy to put into it and b) have sufficient money for us to live on during the course (as full and part time student status differ a lot in terms of income, especially when you have children). Which is also why he can't do A-Levels or an Access course first.

Plus I think he'd get on better with a physical university/lectures to attend. I know you can use some of the facilities of local unis when you're registered at another (I have SCONUL access myself), but it's not the same as actually being a student there.

I just don't see how people in this situation are supposed to get into uni. The only way I can see it working is if they'll let him do the Foundation Year without any A-Levels.
GabiAbi84
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Open university can be funded through a normal tuition fee loan-you don’t qualify for maintenance loans. It is designed to be taken part time whilst you work or have other commitments (I studied part time and full time for my degree and worked full time throughout)
Once he has completed the first two modules of a degree this is classed as a Certificate if Higher Education and can sometimes be used as an entry to University year one. Not always and not for all types of courses so it would be wise to contact university’s and ask if they would accept it or not.
sc2987
Rep:
?
I am studying for my Masters part-time online, because that does work for me. And I know some people can work full-time and still study part-time, but that wouldn't work for him, for various reasons. So that route is not an option. If he could do that then he might as well just do an Access course in the evenings, or some A-Levels.

We have already researched all these possibilities and discounted them, which is why I am asking specifically about whether anyone has managed to get onto a FY without L3 qualifications.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.87%
I'm not sure (32)
4.67%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.24%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.34%
I'm not a current university student (328)
47.88%

Watched Threads